Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

49 minutes ago, Xela said:

Can't believe some fans are saying he's not good enough or we shouldn't sign him. A genuine world class player. He's probably not 100% fit yet but we've seen glimpses of magic in his time here already. Brazil's number 10 isn't good enough for Villa apparently! :D 

Sounds great in theory, but only tells half the story. Would be brilliant in a team who didn’t have to defend as much as we do. Right now I’d be starting Buendia over him 

• Like 3

Just now, Xela said:

We never will be if that is our attitude to players like Coutinho. If we want to progress as a team then we need players like him.

I am sorry @Xela but I'm just not seeing it with him at the moment.  Several attempted through balls today just went straight to the opposition, and his day was summed up when he moved to receive a throw in and just put it straight out of play instead of back to the thrower, just really basic stuff.

People talk about his world class play but I'm not seeing it at all, or only in small bursts. 

• Like 2

Sign him as quickly as possible.  Genuine talent that can help where we want to go.  With added talent around him we could be a good team.

I don’t get the people saying no! I’ve read their points but makes no sense to me.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I am sorry @Xela but I'm just not seeing it with him at the moment.  Several attempted through balls today just went straight to the opposition, and his day was summed up when he moved to receive a throw in and just put it straight out of play instead of back to the thrower, just really basic stuff.

People talk about his world class play but I'm not seeing it at all, or only in small bursts. 

I'm not 100% sure he is fully fit yet and i'm sure we will see more consistency next season if he signs. People keep saying Buendia is better, but Phil has twice as many goals in a lot fewer games. Emi is more of a grafter, which is good, but lacks end product a lot of the time.  I like both and would like to see both play in the same XI. 

I think we will next season. Strengthen the core of the team (Centre back, central midfield & centre forward) and I think the creative players will shine more. 

• Like 2

I like Buendia, I thought he was excellent when he came on today, but think people are going overboard with all this talk of him being better than Coutinho, Coutinho is the superior player, it's not even close, it's not even as if Coutinho had a bad game today, was frustrating at times, but made up for that with his good play.

Another reason you don't take Coutinho out of the team for Buendia is that Coutinho has four goals in fourteen appearances this season, Buendia has three goals in his last sixty-six Premier League appearance.

Doesn't have to be about Coutinho v Buendia, we're allowed more than one good player, and we're allowed to have good players on the bench, and we're also allowed to start both Buendia and Coutinho.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Sounds great in theory, but only tells half the story. Would be brilliant in a team who didn’t have to defend as much as we do. Right now I’d be starting Buendia over him 

Surely that won’t be the same next season when we do add players to the midfield.  

If we continue as we are I’d almost agree but I thought the feeling was Gerrard would get some of his players in in the summer, the preseason would give him chance to bed in his ideas and then next season we would be better and then Coutinho would be our game changer.  

If we are expecting another 40 point season then yeah don’t bother with him but we aren’t in the future are we.  

We have to build for a positive future and he’s a positive piece for that future.

Was watching the game here in Ireland. Was shown on TV. Two pundits were Damien Delaney and Kevin Doyle and they said we should steer clear of this one and invest in a younger player.  I'm on the fence as it is with Coutinho. His performances have dropped no denying but he's still head and shoulders above the others. So I don't know. Good job I don't make these decisions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Surely that won’t be the same next season when we do add players to the midfield.  

If we continue as we are I’d almost agree but I thought the feeling was Gerrard would get some of his players in in the summer, the preseason would give him chance to bed in his ideas and then next season we would be better and then Coutinho would be our game changer.  

If we are expecting another 40 point season then yeah don’t bother with him but we aren’t in the future are we.  

We have to build for a positive future and he’s a positive piece for that future.

I agree and this is what I’m hoping for if we do sign him. Even after a 2-0 win today I’ve felt more disappointed than happy with the result, which is silly. Norwich looked a better team for spells, and I think a better team walks over us today. It’s all very lethargic on the pitch. I just think buendia brings something different and that’s why there’s calls to start him when we clearly improve when he comes on. 

On balance I would still try to sign him. Ok he wasn't at his best today but moving forward having both him and Buendia in the match day squad is surely a good thing. Next season will have 5 subs. For years we have been saying we want strength in depth- and this is the sort of signing to do so.

43 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I agree and this is what I’m hoping for if we do sign him. Even after a 2-0 win today I’ve felt more disappointed than happy with the result, which is silly. Norwich looked a better team for spells, and I think a better team walks over us today. It’s all very lethargic on the pitch. I just think buendia brings something different and that’s why there’s calls to start him when we clearly improve when he comes on. 

Yep I didn’t have the normal high after a win you usually get, it was more relief.  I agree that better teams would likely have beaten us today.

There must be a way both can play without destroying the team.  They are both incredibly talented and Buendia also works back extremely well.  We just need to find it because if we can fit them in the team we have two real quality players who are likely to enhance each other.

• Like 1

I was wavering a little, but I think we need to sign him, if only to attract the players we want this summer. 

The thwarting of Buendia is a big concern, but I think once Coutinho is signed, it'll be easier for Gerrard to rotate him out of the starting 11 to accommodate Buendia. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep I didn’t have the normal high after a win you usually get, it was more relief.  I agree that better teams would likely have beaten us today.

There must be a way both can play without destroying the team.  They are both incredibly talented and Buendia also works back extremely well.  We just need to find it because if we can fit them in the team we have two real quality players who are likely to enhance each other.

It all points towards a 4231 for me that’s what I want to see. We found a way to get Ings and Ollie working together we should be able to work it out for these two. 

• Like 1

i reckon Gerrard & Coutinho have conspired to ensure his form drops off towards the end of the season, clearly to help our bargaining position with Barcelona, in terms of getting him for a reduced fee......

:trollface:

• Like 2

He was a world class.

He's still out most naturally talented and exciting player when he's on it.

He's on ridiculous money.

He hasn't been 'fully fit and top of his game in years.

He's averaged about 20 games the past 5 seasons.

He's definitely slowing down and noticeably dropped off physically ever since his Liverpool pomp.

Unless Barca let him go on a free I just don't think dropping 30m plus wages on him makes any logical sense. He's an absolute luxury.

13 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Was it David James who was saying recently that the word he heard was couthino totally wasn’t right physically and won’t be again?

It wouldn't surprise me. He's a great player, but not what he was, and he's 30 this summer.

We shouldn't sign him.

Just now, Tom13 said:

Danny Murphy thinks we should sign him so surely that now confirms we definitely shouldn't?

yeah wow, he said a few things that i totally agree with about Coutinho also....

Yuck, i agreed with Danny Mills lol.

I think he was right tho.

Â