Pre-Match Thread

Nigel

11 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Haha ok, that’s something to brag about, my Dad and Grandad went to that match, I wasn’t around then. I watched the European Cup final on the official site about a year ago, it wasn’t exactly swashbuckling attacking football. It was a jammy 1-0 win against a top side with a great reputation. I suppose it wouldn’t be Villa, if we played the opposition off the park

Are you suggesting Withe didn't intend to shin it in off the post?

• Haha 3

The amount of hope and expectations people put on Sanson is just Incredible. 

Need to accept the possibility that he might not be good enough. 

As of now Ramsey and Mcginn are just way ahead of him in the pecking order and rightfully so. 

• Like 1

I think this will be one of the least predictable games of the season. I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen here. Palace playing well, Benteke playing well, but it's still Palace. Villa playing well with new manager bounce. I'll be keeping my money in my pocket and just enjoying the show. I hope Ings starts on the bench for balance's sake. I'd like to see Bailey start left. But then I'd always like that. It'll be interesting to see what Gerrard does off the back of any learning done in the Brighton game. Will we see Sanson. Will Young start. Who knows. Faskinating as they say.

• Like 1

impossible one to call. i can see palace being less open though than they were at the weekend and actually might be a more cagey affair than many might predict

either 0-0 or one team to nick it by an odd goal

Just watched the training video and it seems Luiz and Sanson are in full training. As is Trez. 

Looks like we are getting a few players back in time for the busy Christmas period.

I didn't see Traore but maybe I missed him. I'm also pretty sure I saw Vasiliev walking out too. 

19 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

To be fair you may have a shade of pedigree when it comes to hyping up youth players. Though I do appreciate and enjoy your info and enthusiasm.

Do I? I have been to a lot of youth matches but it’s not an exclusive club, anyone can go. It gives us something to talk about, it doesn’t mean that I have a higher or better knowledge than anyone else. I have overhyped a lot of young players over the years on here and been made to look silly on a number of occasions, I hold my hands up

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's a tough call. I think Ollie did enough to get the start at CF on Saturday so unless it's a 4-4-1-1 I don't really see at all how else Ings fits in so would leave him out tbh.

Perhaps we then go back to Ollie out wide for the Man. City game as we'll need insane workrate from the two either side of the CF for that game.

For me, last season we were at our best when Watkins played up front by himself and then for some reason, Dean Smith decided to sign Danny Ings and completely change our style of play to accommodate him. It was a risk and Smith paid the ultimate price, I was so excited when we signed Danny Ings but just doesn’t give 100% for me, maybe that’s why Liverpool got rid of him, I don’t know, I’m guessing here. Don’t get me wrong, I think Ings is a very good Premier League striker but he’s not quite top notch for me, it’s why a top 6 club didn’t take him in the Summer

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t know his thoughts, it just looked like a complete fluke to me. I only have that match to go off though 

I was joking about the finish :) I'll take a shinner against Bayern Monaco to lift the EC though anyday.

We did play some really good football back then though, and to even be inthe competition you had to have won your domestic league so there weren't many easy games (Valur aside). 

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

I was joking about the finish :) I'll take a shinner against Bayern Monaco to lift the EC though anyday.

We did play some really good football back then though, and to even be inthe competition you had to have won your domestic league so there weren't many easy games (Valur aside). 

We didn’t play good football in the final, we were very lucky to win. Don’t get wrong, it was a great achievement and I don’t want to belittle it but it was the definition of a smash and grab

18 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We didn’t play good football in the final, we were very lucky to win. Don’t get wrong, it was a great achievement and I don’t want to belittle it but it was the definition of a smash and grab

Mate, what do you even know?  You're like still at school 

😉

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I am 30 years old, I have been a season ticket holder in the Trinity Road Stand since 1996, what about you AvonVillain?

Wow! My mind is blown too! I’m 36 I always assumed you were much older than me. Just shows that I shouldn’t assume things :) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I watched the European Cup final on the official site about a year ago, it wasn’t exactly swashbuckling attacking football. It was a jammy 1-0 win against a top side with a great reputation. I suppose it wouldn’t be Villa, if we played the opposition off the park

As somebody who WAS there, I think "jammy" is not only inappropriate but disrespectful to some heroic performances at both individual and team level.

• Like 3