Pre-Match Thread

Nigel

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Similar ages then alreadyexists, do you go to the matches home or away?

Yeah, I go to home matches, not as many as I’d like anymore though. Went to Brighton on Saturday and loved being back. I’ve been to U23 games in the past too (a while ago now though, pre Covid and all that). I’ve been to one away game which was vs Leicester at Filbert Street… I think about 98/99 (ish). 
Used to go to almost every home game back when I was in my early 20s but life gets in the way a bit when you get older!

• Like 2

On 22/11/2021 at 21:08, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t think Ings would  take too kindly to bring benched. In his appearances so far, I have been impressed by his goalscoring instincts but not his workrate. The overhead kick was outstanding against Newcastle 

Jeez. Really. The bloke never stops running!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think he will stay the same as Brighton. It's all a lot grinding out results.  Bailey perhaps not ready to start and doesn't offer the same work rate as watkins. Maybe Luiz in but I think he will stick with the same, ever willing subs will be young and Bailey. The formation worked as did his tactics. Same again please Stevie!

4 hours ago, Paul33 said:

As somebody who WAS there, I think "jammy" is not only inappropriate but disrespectful to some heroic performances at both individual and team level.

We had one chance all game, Bayern were all over us for the vast majority of the match. It’ll never happen again in our lifetimes 

10 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We had one chance all game, Bayern were all over us for the vast majority of the match. It’ll never happen again in our lifetimes 

Not sure I get the relevance of that in calling Villa "jammy". Hard work, great defence, great goalkeeping on Villa's part and poor finishing on Bayern's part does not add up to "jammy" ..... it just means we were the better team on the day ...... had that not been the case then we would have lost ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Not sure I get the relevance of that in calling Villa "jammy". Hard work, great defence, great goalkeeping on Villa's part and poor finishing on Bayern's part does not add up to "jammy" ..... it just means we were the better team on the day ...... had that not been the case then we would have lost ! 

I watched the whole match on the official website about a year ago. I don’t think we were the better team on the day, we had one chance all game and Withe shinned it in. Maybe calling us jammy was a bit harsh but I did think that Bayern Munich were the better team on the day. I agree that we defended well and Spink had a worldie, we didn’t have many chances other than the goal, that’s how I saw it, others will think differently as per!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I watched the whole match on the official website about a year ago. I don’t think we were the better team on the day, we had one chance all game and Withe shinned it in. Maybe calling us jammy was a bit harsh but I did think that Bayern Munich were the better team on the day. I agree that we defended well and Spink had a worldie, we didn’t have many chances other than the goal, that’s how I saw it, others will think differently as per!

Nobody said we were the better side. Bayern were Europe's top side and much stronger than Villa but on the day we beat them. Just seems strange for a Villa fan to be so disrespectful and dismissive about one of the club's greatest moments ever ! 

4 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Nobody said we were the better side. Bayern were Europe's top side and much stronger than Villa but on the day we beat them. Just seems strange for a Villa fan to be so disrespectful and dismissive about one of the club's greatest moments ever ! 

I’m not saying it wasn’t a great achievement, we were just lucky in the manner that we won it. I don’t mean to be disrespectful to those that went to it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

We should be winning this, yes Palace have made a bright start but they just like Brighton are another team overhyped team on here. We have actually won more games than them

But have lost more as well.!

Palace are playing on the front foot under Vieira and can score goals but struggle to hold on to a lead. It should be a very entertaining game for the outsider.

Massive game really at a ground we are normally very underwhelming at. A win will be incredible; that much needed feel good factor will be well and truly back if we are celebrating only a 2nd away success all season. Desperately need to improve our away form, just 3 points taken from a possible 18 on the road.

Will be interesting to see Gerrard’s tactical approach to different opponents. Also interested to see just how far the side can evolve with a full week together at BMH. Emphasis im sure again will be on keeping it tight and not conceding, staying in our shape and frustrating them. Targett needs another solid game, Mings v Benteke will be an interesting watch.

Palace have been impressive under Vieira, brought very well in the summer and look as if they’ll cause anyone problems. Before their 3-3 at Burnley last time out, they’d had impressive 2-0 wins against Man City & Wolves.

Head says they’ll shade it at home, but will predict a 1-1 draw leaving us unbeaten in white. Watkins to score.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Honestly, zaha frightens me. He is a moody petulant twit but he is incredible effective. I can see them trying to isolate Targett against him

I can see him trying to wind up Mings again and try get him sent off. 

Zaha is a decent player but his constant diving and play acting really annoys me. 

• Like 1