Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 21/10/2022 at 21:30, AvonVillain said:

It's just baffling! Why put a comma between those two words in a two word sentence??

typo...don't be baffled.

Its like our errors on the pitch....should do better.

but thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I don't have a masters degree in football tactics, but can anyone explain to me what Gerrards "plan" or tactics actually were?

Attacking full backs like Liverpool. That's as deep as it went.

4 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I don't have a masters degree in football tactics, but can anyone explain to me what Gerrards "plan" or tactics actually were?

It looked severely limited from the outside but I’m sure with all people around the first team we must have had a plan for each individual game, especially at the start of a match. 

Initially when he came it was to push the fullbacks on and drop a couple of midfielders back to cover. Get endless crosses in. At times it worked but was ultimately flawed.

In game tactics were the biggest issue though as there just didn’t seem to be any. Go a goal down or needing to score for a win or close a game down for a result. He looked lost here. No impact changes at all during games. Whether it be a change in formation or personnel. Very disappointing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

came across this. Robbie nailed most of it at the start. You can skip tim howard

I saw Don Hutchison on ESPN as well say he had to go and gave similar insight. Seems pundits on US tv are a bit more honest compared to the British media cult

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I saw Don Hutchison on ESPN as well say he had to go and gave similar insight. Seems pundits on US tv are a bit more honest compared to the British media cult

They aren’t concerned with having their access taken away - nor the cult of English footballing legends turned managers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

came across this. Robbie nailed most of it at the start. You can skip tim howard

Howard isn’t wrong though. The players played their part and some have been woefully out of form.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah earle gets it and sound alike he watches us properly

That was what I took from it, and it's pretty damning of the "profession" of being a football pundit that I was so surprised he seemed to have actually watched us to form an opinion.

8 minutes ago, jim said:

Howard isn’t wrong though. The players played their part and some have been woefully out of form.

If all the players are woefully out of form isn't that on the manager and coaching team?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If all the players are woefully out of form isn't that on the manager and coaching team?

Especially when they kept picking them regardless

We have a few players who need taking out of the firing line and Gerrard just kept naming them and playing them in positions and roles they were struggling in, mcginn and Watkins being the obvious ones

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Especially when they kept picking them regardless

We have a few players who need taking out of the firing line and Gerrard just kept naming them and playing them in positions and roles they were struggling in, mcginn and Watkins being the obvious ones

Rangers fans mentioned this exact issue.

Gerrard had a real myopia about the evident midfield problems because as a player he never had such problems. He had his head in the clouds and persisted because that is what his personality dictates, not tactical nor a desire to benefit the lads. He made it worse by crapping on the players which only knocked their confidence further. 

Â