Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

At last we see some perspective on VT, bravo sir.

Makes a change from the frothing of the mouth posters spouting the same old negativity!

I like to look at the bright side, we've had to put up with monumental shitness over the years at times and through it all I've always tried to look at our potential and know that one day it'll come good. It nearly has a few times as well.

In that light you could rightly say we've been in worse situations in terms of owner's ambition, resources etc. as now and so you could say that this Gerrard era isn't so bad. Lots of people would excuse the terrible football as long as points and games are won.

I think another aspect of how to frame this Gerrard era is how good people felt abotu the club, just how amazing a turnaround it was getting promoted and staying up with a fan as star player and a fan as the manager. It was incredible, and we played some good football doing it. That era was brought to an end and we were told it was because the board could not see Smith taking us forward, that we were not progressing as they would have liked. 

Fair enough, but now we are not in any footballing sense a better side, we play worse football with a better squad and there's no signs of that improving in order to consistently improve the results. This is why people are negative towards Gerrard, not just the poor football and results but the complete falling apart of all the great spirit around the team and the club too.

Personally I don't see any other end to the Gerrard era than he gets sacked without improving us at all. I would really like to be wrong as when he came in with Beale the way they talked about wanting to play sounded perfect to me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

It is far more complex than simply sacking somebody and appointing a new guy.

It is all about appointing the right guy.

When we sacked Bruce and hired Smith that was the right move, and the club progressed.

When we sacked Smith, he had taken us far as he could. Then we did a mistake in appointing Gerrard, and the club have been going backward ever since.

It is now is all about correcting the mistake we made, and hope that the next appointment isn’t a disaster like the previous one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thug said:

So why did they sack the previous guy? 

We're not 2 months in,  we're 12 months in.

We've gone backwards.

He's not shown any intelligence at all, and there aren't even any signs that things are improving.

We're now "back to basics" of long balls and "not lose at any cost" football.

The whole thing is a joke.

The experiment is a failure.

He needs to be sacked, and we need to move forward.

The previous guy was well backed too and had been in charge for three seasons, we had slumps under Deano too. Smith couldn't get a tune out of the team without Grealish. Fact. Had Smith turned a few of those defeats (in the 5 Losses) around last season he would have earnt more time too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Three games is a starting point, nothing more or less. What would you want SG to do? It is like a boxer being hit and knocked down in the first round but staying down because he has no hope or belief in the fight. This is a battle, Gerrard and the team can fight their way back. 

Gerrard isn't hurting Villa long term, his scope doesn't stretch that far. That is a crazy statement. If you said Purslow's decisions were hurting Villa medium/long term I would understand but you can't put that at Gerrard's door. Would you fully trust Purslow and Lange with the next appointment? I appreciate some of the good Purslow has done but I am questioning him now (along with Lange). I have lost some faith in them with regards to the footballing side.

I'm not even sure what the point you're trying to make is.

No one is asking Gerrard to sack himself?

He's hurting villa long term by being shit.  What's the point you're making here exactly?

Three games is a starting point, nothing more or less. What would you want SG to do? It is like a boxer being hit and knocked down in the first round but staying down because he has no hope or belief in the fight. This is a battle, Gerrard and the team can fight their way back. 

Shouldn’t been his choice, he should’ve gone by being let go.  I agree Gerrard just continues but it shouldn’t been a choice he had.

Gerrard isn't hurting Villa long term, his scope doesn't stretch that far. That is a crazy statement.

If we continue playing poor under Gerrard, our better players will want to leave at the end of the season, we also won’t be able to attract the next lot of Kamara’s and Carlos’ because why would they come to another season around the same position as last season.  We earn less revenue from lower league position so less transfer kitty, likely lower commercial deals after another poor league performance. Players Gerrard brought in getting older but on big wages but not performing so less room re FFP.  I can keep going with more long term issues…

a bad management decision(s) can hurt a club for for years beyond their tenure….

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

Smith couldn't get a tune out of the team without Grealish. Fact.

Nah, we played some good football without Joe Gucci, Smith never got to play his best XI for more than 45 mins or so. Gerrard came in, and his good opening run was with Smith's tactics and Smith's best XI.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

He’s in a bit of a no win situation tomorrow. Fail to win and the pressure increases, win and it won’t really sway too many of the doubters as Villa really should be winning the game, it just puts everything on hold.

We may well win tomorrow and move up the table to 10th. Problem is I think that is going to be the highest we’ll be for the foreseeable, based on the fixtures leading up to the World Cup break.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Shouldn’t been his choice, he should’ve gone.  I agree Gerrard just continues but it shouldn’t been a choice he had.

If we continue playing poor under Gerrard, our better players will want to leave at the end of the season, we also won’t be able to attract the next lot of Kamara’s and Carlos’ because why would they come to another season around the same position as last season.  We earn less revenue from lower league position so less transfer kitty, likely lower commercial deals after another poor league performance. Players Gerrard brought in getting older but on big wages but not performing so less room re FFP.  I can keep going with more long term issues…

a bad management decision(s) can hurt a club for for years beyond their tenure….

That hasn't happened. Pure fiction and catastrophizing at this moment. You have a great imagination, I will give you that. 🤣 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Could win the league if we win every game from here and Arsenal and City stumble!

Don’t be silly. One is far more likely than the other.

1 minute ago, Villa_Vids said:

That hasn't happened. Pure fiction and catastrophizing at this moment. You have a great imagination, I will give you that. 🤣 

There are a few others to be fair who equally have a great imagination.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thug said:

I'm not even sure what the point you're trying to make is.

No one is asking Gerrard to sack himself?

He's hurting villa long term by being shit.  What's the point you're making here exactly?

My point is...give SG a break and cut him some slack. I know....I am asking too much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

There’s a lot of doom mongering Nostradamus’ at the moment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

My point is...give SG a break and cut him some slack. I know....I am asking too much.

What do we owe him? What has he done to prove he’s going to take us where we want to go? We’ve improved by something like 0.09 points per game and a 2% increase in win percent since he arrived. Now we’re hearing talk of going to a back 5, we need a break not Gerrard 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I said he’s doing that and continuing.  He has 17 points in the last 19 games, Luiz is looking to leave because he isn’t playing, our revenue was less last season because of where Gerrard ended us in the league so it is happening.  

Do you think any quality players are looking at us favourably to come in the January transfer window based on current performances and points total this season.

You say it’s pure fiction but it’s slowly happening as we speak.  Are we looking a positive place to come to for players? The media  talking about hard we are to watch the last two games!  You can deny all you want but it’s developing under our eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

There are a few others to be fair who equally have a great imagination.

17 points in the last 19 games, 8 points this season in 8 games and only scored 6 goals in the 3rd easiest fixture start so there doesn’t need any imagination.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Shouldn’t been his choice, he should’ve gone by being let go.  I agree Gerrard just continues but it shouldn’t been a choice he had.

This is the end game isn't it. We don't wanna be starting from the bottom again like we are if we keep Gerrard. We finish below bottom half this season, we will attract f*** all decent players and start losing our own, that's a huge issue. Which is why he has to be gone by Christmas latest. To think who the likes of Poch could bring in makes me tingle. 😄

Â