Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The majority of fans on here and social media seem to want him gone, but until the atmosphere at Villa park turns hostile, he' not going anywahere.

Not sure the fans need to pelt him with stuff from the stands for the club to take action. Did the fans turn on the manager at Wolves or Chelsea before they acted? Didn't watch their last games. 

Guess Purslow will have double standards towards Gerrard perhaps.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

If Watkins had of scored, and we all know he should have......and if Phils effort had of gone in........the mood on here would have been different.

as it is, it was a shit show of poor finishing......all managers, rely on players to do their job, they get paid handsomely for it.

amongst many things, we have no intrinsic aggression up front, no determination to finish the job....thats on the players for me.

The mood would really not be much different. Thankful for the 3 points but disengaged with the aimless football, and certainly not thinking we’ve turned a corner by beating a 10-man relegation batting team.

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If players aren't doing their job, it's up to the manager to make changes. Watkins played the full match despite missing all those chances.

I have no arguments with that.....I am of the same view.

However, I have to accept the manager, did not agree with me, why I don't know, lack of experience is my only stab at it.

when you are fighting for your job, safe decisions are usually sought, he must have thought it was his safest bet.

after all, we could have lost, and that would have been meltdown.

In view of their demolition of Chelsea, and unbeaten at home, it was a good point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bottom line is this:

2 wins in the last 12 league games, many of which were winnable.

This isn't just relegation form, this is bottom of the table form. 

How the **** is he still here?

Serious questions need to be asked of the owners and the CEO if this keeps up. This isn't congruent in any way with their rhetoric over the last 5 years of being in charge of this club.

15 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

The mood would really not be much different. Thankful for the 3 points but disengaged with the aimless football, and certainly not thinking we’ve turned a corner by beating a 10-man relegation batting team.

Not turned any corner, in terms of play.....but results have turned away from defeats....which is something.

15 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Bottom line is this:

2 wins in the last 12 league games, many of which were winnable.

This isn't just relegation form, this is bottom of the table form. 

How the **** is he still here?

Serious questions need to be asked of the owners and the CEO if this keeps up. This isn't congruent in any way with their rhetoric over the last 5 years of being in charge of this club.

Could easily say 5 points from 3 games and only 1 goal conceded. That's 1.66 points per game and over a season it's 63 points. 

I think World Cup break is the time to make a good assessment. Was it just a slow start to the season, then we went defensive to stop the rot. Then tried to add the attacking play again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Clearly not true. We lost 5 games in a row and we looked like we were heading for a relegation battle. You had Mings dropped by Smith. You had different tactics used. 

This season our performances have deserved 3 points more than we have. West Ham game was a 0 0 and they got a lucky deflected goal while yesterday we should have won that game we had plenty of chances to do so. 

We need to see more from the team now. Next 4 games we should be aiming for points in every one of them

Smith is/was notoriously streaky as a coach. I think we would have finish in a similar position had he not been sacked, and would have brought younger players into the squad unlike Gerrard. But coulda/shoulda, the board made the decision. But it looks like we have wasted a lot of time and resources in treading water.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Smith is/was notoriously streaky as a coach. I think we would have finish in a similar position had he not been sacked, and would have brought younger players into the squad unlike Gerrard. But coulda/shoulda, the board made the decision. But it looks like we have wasted a lot of time and resources in treading water.

and the clubs connection with the fans wouldn’t be broken.

Smith is gone now but this Gerrard upgrade experiment has failed

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Clearly not true. We lost 5 games in a row and we looked like we were heading for a relegation battle. You had Mings dropped by Smith. You had different tactics used. 

This season our performances have deserved 3 points more than we have. West Ham game was a 0 0 and they got a lucky deflected goal while yesterday we should have won that game we had plenty of chances to do so. 

We need to see more from the team now. Next 4 games we should be aiming for points in every one of them

If you still think West Ham won because of a lucky goal you need to watch the game again. Moyes changed his set up second half and Gerrard was caught sitting on his hands as per usual. The first half looked good on our part but we didn’t do a thing 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Could easily say 5 points from 3 games and only 1 goal conceded. That's 1.66 points per game and over a season it's 63 points. 

I think World Cup break is the time to make a good assessment. Was it just a slow start to the season, then we went defensive to stop the rot. Then tried to add the attacking play again. 

Eh? 18 points in the last 19 games (half a season).   41% of those points against teams no longer in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

Â