Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

SJM joined us when we were a Championship club and was great. He still gets linked with a big move so perhaps other people rate him too. He’s nowhere near the level he needs to be at the moment but perhaps under a better coach he could be? 

My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I suggested that CP was a genius. 

A lot of our players get linked with bigger clubs from Martinez, Luiz, Watkins, Bailey, Cash so obviously these are good players that Gerrard can’t get the best out of.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

A lot of our players get linked with bigger clubs from Martinez, Luiz, Watkins, Bailey, Cash so obviously these are good players that Gerrard can’t get the best out of.

Not only cant he get the best out of our good players.He cant even improve our bad players,FFS.

What is the point of him actually bieng here ?

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

SJM joined us when we were a Championship club and was great. He still gets linked with a big move so perhaps other people rate him too. He’s nowhere near the level he needs to be at the moment but perhaps under a better coach he could be?

He might get linked but there's never been a serious bid for him. Pure speculation, but surely any serious scouts know he's not all that. Even at his best, he's still an incredibly limited player.

Gerrard though can't seem to see this.

57 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He might get linked but there's never been a serious bid for him. Pure speculation, but surely any serious scouts know he's not all that. Even at his best, he's still an incredibly limited player.

Gerrard though can't seem to see this.

Or improve him. He took the captaincy from TM, apparently so he could concentrate on his game. Then he gives it to SJM who has been struggling for the last 3 seasons. No joined up thinking at all. He seems to play better for Scotland where he is captain though. Could it be the manager???

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

You say "since 2020" as if that's been a long time... 2020/21 was the season Rangers went unbeaten in the league and secured a first title in 10 years or whatever.  If that's the season he happened to follow Gerrard for, having presumably heard that he was doing decent things at Rangers, it's not exactly surprising that he made a move.

I think this was before any of that fully transpired. Regardless, I don't think there are too many managers doing decent things at Rangers, all due respect for them and their league, that would be considered for the job at Villa who by our own admission are looking to break into Europe some time soon, unless their name was Steven Gerrard or someone of a similar profile. This was more than purely a footballing decision. So far it's been working out exactly as you would expect it to for an inexperienced manager who's only managed in that league. 

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

And the end of the day, kids are not responsible for the sins of their parents. 

I'm glad you brought some clarity to the subject. 

No but he is manager of a Premier League football club. That in itself adds a different dimension. We don't know the extent of the relationship, sure, but if I were the owners I would want to find out. Given the level of investment they are putting in and the level of influence a manager has - and potentially the level of influence he is exposing himself to - I would want to make sure there were no conflicts here.

49 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

No but he is manager of a Premier League football club. That in itself adds a different dimension. We don't know the extent of the relationship, sure, but if I were the owners I would want to find out. Given the level of investment they are putting in and the level of influence a manager has - and potentially the level of influence he is exposing himself to - I would want to make sure there were no conflicts here.

The mind boggles. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So what is all this about Gerrard associating with gangsters. Is there something in this or is it old news?

It doesn’t sound like a great look for Gerrard.

Old news, was his missus' connections if I'm not mistaken. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think the purchases before were any worse which seems to be what you are insinuating 

• Buendia we were delighted at
  • Leon Bailey was seen as a inspired signing and a real coup
  • Ings while some seem to think it was reactive signing there is no doubt in his pedigree and was been talked about being picked up by bigger teams than us and we signed him out of the blue.

before that was the like of Watkins, Martinez and Cash.

These can all be debated on merits but the list of Gerrard’s signings and Smith’s signings are roughly on par with each other.  

You can argue we could’ve brought different positions or types of players but arguing that pre Gerrard for that is unfair because Gerrard has had two windows to buy some different type of players but brought who he brought.  

It was a fairly quiet summer on the whole if he really thought the squad was really unbalanced yet he didn’t.  

You may want to argue the players weren’t available but maybe they weren’t for his predecessor either but still Gerrard has had time to adapt the squad, we’ve been linked with many players throughout the summer but after Carlos and Kamara we were fairly quiet apart from squad fillers like Augustinson and Dendoncker.

It’s just amazing even looking at that list of players that Gerrard can’t utilise that attacking talent.  You can’t have Buendia, Bailey, Coutinho, Watkins, Ings, Archer and look so impotent.

You say it’s a mix of players and manager, and if you are arguing league placing for Europe then I’d agree, if it’s being better than we have been for the last 10 months and looking competent and cohesive on the pitch then it’s the manager not being able to utilise the players at hand.  

All the players mentioned aren’t suddenly duds, we just have a manager that doesn’t know how to use them.

I think you will find Nick, I was querying a point Dave made about the Policy being ok until SG arrived......I refute that.

I guess you have a point, not much difference....thats why, I picked up on it.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So what is all this about Gerrard associating with gangsters. Is there something in this or is it old news?

It doesn’t sound like a great look for Gerrard.

If we are going down that road, every celebrity on the planet, will be running for the hills, and a few blue bloodied souls, too.

He is guy is associated with Boxing too.....easy association to remark on, but has nothing to do with AVFC.

just a desperate attempt to discredit our manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

If we are going down that road, every celebrity on the planet, will be running for the hills, and a few blue bloodied souls, too.

He is guy is associated with Boxing too.....easy association to remark on, but has nothing to do with AVFC.

I’m not anti-Gerrard, certainly not for the sake of it anyway but there are fresh reports about his iffy associations and I don’t like it. 

8 hours ago, TRO said:

But you talk about his character all the time as his big and major asset.

I’m not going to get involved in the gangster discussion as I don’t know enough about it but you can’t shout from the rooftops his character on the positives and then dismiss so easily potential negatives.  

Your argument for the last year has been basically about his character will shine through therefore we should understand his whole character whether good or bad surely!

Edited by nick76
  • Sad 1

Â