Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

You cannot have consistency in a team if you keep changing the players. 

That is not the players, that is the manager.

but its catch 22.....when you are searching for improvement, sometimes set backs are encountered....its not an exact science......

Its hard to keep playing the same players, when the start has been so poor.....They say "he doesn't know his best team".....who does?, the most discerning amongst us, struggle with the individual inconsistencies.

Many teams change players in the name of rotation, so I don't accept that as a legitimate argument, particualrly as certain players, who do show consistency ARE ever present.

The main area of change, comes from the creativity.....trying to find some creativity......The rest of the team is fairly stable.

I think in cases like this, its a combination of Manager and players.....but that is arguably the case of the lower half of the league.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

recall SG saying to sky, its on me

Oh come on that’s a classic defence, Mia culpa, when there’s almost nothing else to say. SG is a switched on media savvy guy. He’s been in the limelight for over 20 years. I’m always impressed with his interviews pre and post match. That means he knows what to say, like lots of media savvy pundits do. That doesn’t make them good managers. 

Gary Neville always talked a good game but wasn’t a very good manager when he tried it. The classic is Alan Shearer who has made a fortune out of punditry but when he swooped in to St James’s Park, to save his beloved N’castle, he was utterly clueless. 

Talk is cheap. 

• Like 3

I don't think anybody would have watched the football we served up in that Southampton game and claim that we are entertaining or look like a good side. The football was tedious and the game itself was quite boring. I feel that we are serving up football that is as boring as when McLeish was manager. I see no system or how he will change it up to provide more entertaining football. Under our last manager I felt we were an entertaining team, even when Grealish didn't play. But, under Gerrard, I feel bored. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don't think anybody would have watched the football we served up in that Southampton game and claim that we are entertaining or look like a good side. The football was tedious and the game itself was quite boring. I feel that we are serving up football that is as boring as when McLeish was manager. I see no system or how he will change it up to provide more entertaining football. Under our last manager I felt we were an entertaining team, even when Grealish didn't play. But, under Gerrard, I feel bored. 

Much worse than McLeish because we have better players than he had. 

• Like 3

Apologies if posted already:

Steven Gerrard 🗣️

“From a personal point of view I‘ve maybe been guilty of trying to move it forward too quickly.”

“You have an idea in your head of how you want it to look, how you want to play. Maybe it is a slower process, maybe it’s going to take a little more time”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Steven Gerrard 🗣️

“From a personal point of view I‘ve maybe been guilty of trying to move it forward too quickly.”

“You have an idea in your head of how you want it to look, how you want to play. Maybe it is a slower process, maybe it’s going to take a little more time”

Exactly the sort of comments that should make heads roll. He has bluffed his way into a managers job here and has somehow convinced his buddy Purslow we can get top 8/10 

Then he comes out with comments admitting that he is naive

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Exactly the sort of comments that should make heads roll. He has bluffed his way into a managers job here and has somehow convinced his buddy Purslow we can get top 8/10 

It’s ok he’s only learning. 

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Steven Gerrard 🗣️

He’s only had two transfer windows and 36 games to be fair to him! Give it 4 more games and we’ll really see Steven Gerrards Aston Villa I’m sure of it 

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I legit don't know what to say or how to feel about anything to be honest 🤷🏾‍♂️

" Human " element wants to get it.

My " Pragmatic " ( buzzword ) side says I'm not even sure what it is we are trying to " move forward " in the first place.

I actually understood what we were trying to do more, in the first few games when he came in, but yeah, we admittedly seem to have regressed.

Human side wants him to succeed as it's easier for everyone but I've also got my fears.

Both about us potentially stagnating plus losing good players, as well as potentially missing out on quality Managers.

We can do nothing but wait I guess.

Good managers can make teams better than the sum of their parts, we see it all of the time and if nothing else you can see a stamp being put on a team quite quickly in terms of identity etc.

It's mad to me and worrying that he's had this long in the job but is coming out with comments like that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

It’s not as if we are seeing something on the pitch to grab hold onto.  We play better against the best teams and lose, we play poor against the mid teams and lose and we scrape wins against the poorest teams either through them playing badly or just being a poor team. 

image.png.2ff0203558650fffaeef921db4740fc8.png

Record split between the 21/22 euro qualifiers, the middle and bottom 6 teams.

Agree with the decent performances against big teams not getting the results they perhaps deserve, and getting even 1ppg on average from these games would make a difference to our season. This was part of my optimism for this season, because felt like if level of performance in these games is maintained then the results should be better just because over a longer period the level of performance and result should get closer.

Playing poorly and losing to mid teams doesn't really stand up over Gerrard's tenure to date. Could argue results in these have dropped off, with 5 points from last 5 of these, though not sure that's a big enough drop off or sample size to read too much into it yet. Palace game this season is the only one it feels like we got outplayed in, and even then it took a dodgy penalty after we'd just hit the bar to swing the game properly their way. I'd argue on balance we probably should have had more points from these games, with Brentford, Leicester and perhaps the Wolves game as well being ones we maybe didn't get what we should have given the performance.

Not sure too many of the wins against the lower teams have been scraped either. Maybe Everton last season? We had to defend well but certainly did this and ultimately deserved the win I think. Southampton just gone? Was a horrible scrappy game, but still we were the only team really creating any chances and win probably the fair result. Rest of the wins seem pretty comfortable to me.

58 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Gerrard talks about a slow process because his way is shit. It’s a complicated set of tactics that needs superheroes to make it work.

I bet if Pochettino came here we’d see his identity on the team within a month if not quicker.

It's almost as if Gerrard is watching Liverpool and creating tactics for that team, then trying to shoehorn our squad into that system.  Thinking that if he can get us playing well, it can be an easy transition back to Liverpool in the future.  We aren't playing to anyone's strengths in this system besides our fullbacks and Martinez.

Â