Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Fair. I would argue Sherwood had us playing more attractive football with much worse players as well.

image.thumb.png.6b144dfc1751633b3b04af74c8b454fc.png

Mad when you see it written down.

It's difficult for Gerrard to be as bad as he is.

Bruce or Sherwood with no tactics would get more out of this squad.

5 hours ago, rbcuk said:

As a few have said in here, going down to watch us is boring, if I didn’t have a season ticket I doubt I would even pay to watch the shit currently on display, I used to enjoy going down knowing we would have a go at teams, I couldn’t even tell you what kind of football he is trying to play, but I can see many not renewing next season if he’s still here

I paid 34 quid to watch it on Friday and just didn't enjoy it at all, we barely had a shot second half bar Ings shooting wildly from halfway line in injury time.

Not a knee jerk reaction either as I went to Norwich back end of last season and it was pretty much the same as Friday bar us getting a second right at the end.

Just no joy in our play and the season already feels a hard long slog when we should be capable of some more excitement at least with the players in final third.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Where? Southampton was a victory but it was literally two incredibly poor teams and they were just worse than us.  3 points great but nothing else positive from that game.

Mate you are off with the fairies with this one…

No I suggest the owners/CEO fire him.  As for Howe/Newcastle, i couldn’t give a damn about them.  We are very poor at the moment, this season, end of last season, Gerrard can’t get a tune out of this team.  Aside from the draw against City this has been a poor start to the season performance wise, thankfully we have picked up points from two very poor teams/performances in Everton and Southampton and before you try to take positives from that we still only have 7 points from 7 games…1 ppg which continues from the end of last season.  Gerrard can’t get a tune out of this team and even you have highlighted his problems and I don’t see him fixing them and I don’t agree he’s helped Mings, he’s been fine.  McGinn has gone backwards with the captaincy decision.  Also after the Man City game SG went back to his usual team and tactics, just lucky Southampton were awful that day because it certainly wasn’t down to us stopping them.

did you conveniently forget, the point from the best team in the country, and should have won, bar for poor officiating, which would have had us 10th, and 1.3 ppg.

If I'm off with the fairies,  you must be with the Grim Reaper.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

did you conveniently forget, the point from the best team in the country, and should have won, bar for poor officiating, which would have had us 10th, and 1.3 ppg.

Good point, we played very well that game and others. I think we chop and change WAY too much so we never get to build a style of play or relationships.

It seems like we always change a winning team or pattern of play under Gerrard and I dont understand why.

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Good point, we played very well that game and others. I think we chop and change WAY too much so we never get to build a style of play or relationships.

It seems like we always change a winning team or pattern of play under Gerrard and I dont understand why.

I think we have been like that, for some time.....searching for consistency amongst inconsistent players....We seem to suffer, with injuries a fair bit too, another source of disruption.

We lost that bit of consistency, further upfield when Jack left, and haven't regained it, imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

The decent display against City was never going to just be replicated against Southampton. It was a backs to the wall smash and grab job. If we sat back and tried to replicate that strategy against Southampton at home he'd have been crucified - it's the kind of display that's acceptable in maybe half a dozen games a year. He still needs to figure out how to set us up to actually attack.

For some real despair, look back at when we played Southamton in Marchand won 4-0. With a similar team and Southampton being about as bad, we went from smashing them off the park to looking absolutely lost. What went wrong since then?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TRO said:

You are taking the Coutinho goal? 😳 despite the fact City players had stopped especially Stones and then not even taking into account the fact that goals change games and might have woken City up to come back at least.  Anyway it was a draw and that’s the result, a great result at that but one highlight in a poor period.

Anyway yes a great point against City but the other six games we’ve been poor performance wise despite the few minutes here and there you proclaim as being really positive.  It’s easy being the Grim Reaper when the facts show grim circumstances under SG from 7 points in the last 7 games, 16 points in the last 18 games.

It’s incredibly hard to defend SG who then goes on to blame the players and now says we need to be less attractive and be more pragmatic, yet none of us have seen this attractive side and his pragmatic side was seen in the City game but then not in the Southampton game.  I’m not sure SG has a plan.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Mad when you see it written down.

It's difficult for Gerrard to be as bad as he is.

Bruce or Sherwood with no tactics would get more out of this squad.

image.png.a026ae53cb0f70e43dac9bcc8c688a8f.png

Or when you see it written down another way, league games only, because Sherwood's cup games massively mask his terrible league record.

Gerrard still on par with O'Neill after 34 games.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I think we have been like that, for some time.....searching for consistency amongst inconsistent players....We seem to suffer, with injuries a fair bit too, another source of disruption.

We lost that bit of consistency, further upfield when Jack left, and haven't regained it, imo.

You cannot have consistency in a team if you keep changing the players. 

That is not the players, that is the manager.

Â