Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Southampton were poor and everyone said they were, including their players and manager. Villa were, at best, marginally better and yet Gerrard seems fairly content... Between saying he was critical of the defence but protecting his players... No clue.

Practically any lineup would have resulted in todays toss up of a result. A decent manager would have made that are far more convincing and comfortable win against weak opposition. A win is a win but we are underperforming as a squad and that's on the manager.

• Like 4

I am relieved to see people aren't as fickle as I suspected and suddenly are satisfied by that dire performance just because we managed to scrape 3 points against an opponent that was even more dire.

I'm not pissed off we won but I am pissed off that it means he will be given more time. Honestly he has ZERO clue.

• Like 3

I never want to see us lose, but now this win has bought Gerrard at least another 8 games until the World Cup break.  Just hope we aren't too far into the relegation battle that his replacement will struggle to get us out of quickly after the restart.

2 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

I’m guessing that you didn’t see the game.

There are two types on here at the moment;

The one that watch the match, can be recognised by the anger and hatred toward Gerrard, because they wasted 2 hours of their life.

The one that didn’t watch the match, that say things like “a win is a win”, “hope we can build on this” and other rubbish.

You didnt watch the game then. See its easy anyone can make stuff up! 

Try sticking to your own opinion and stop projecting on others who watched the same game but who disagree with you. You may even persuade others of your views by being respectful.

Also you have  "anger and hatred toward Gerrard" for winning a football match in a way you didnt like? I hope you can see thats ridiculous. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I never want to see us lose, but now this win has bought Gerrard at least another 8 games until the World Cup break.  Just hope we aren't too far into the relegation battle that his replacement will struggle to get us out of quickly after the restart.

I wouldnt worry. if Gerrard loses games like he has been this season he wont last that long. I am surprised he got this far without being sacked (which I called for), but he has and I am happy with a win.

I am not convinced by him at all but I saw enough to understand why Purslow wants to try and make this work. We shall see. Gerrard is still one game at a time for me. This game he won, so he gets my support for the next game. We shall see how it goes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We're just boring I'm afraid.

Play in a plodding manner with only real emphasis on getting crosses from deep which are mostly speculative from the distances the FBs or Bailey are hitting it from.

The odd occasion we string together decent one touch passing it all falls down when Ollie isn't quick enough to control or move the ball on. We play so slowly we very rarely get a one v one anywhere around the pitch.

All I can see this season is just doing the minimum of winning these type of games and hovering around 12-14th.

It's basically a replica of what we were like post cup final under Gregory, group of experienced internationals just trying to grind wins out every week and hoping a flair player can come up with something to win a game.

Its just Bruceball with more money and higher wages that some people like because he was a big name player once.

Its absolutely disgusting, watching with other fans nobody celebrated it as was terrible

• Like 2

I wonder if the pressure is getting to him.

Visibly relieved - even bouyant - over the win vs Southampton. I don't begrudge him the joy of a win - but that was the ugliest win I've seen.

Hopefully it's a springboard to better things....

... but I don't see it.

I’ve deliberately stayed away from this thread for the last few weeks but I have to laugh looking at some of the comments.

Before City apparently Gerrard was terrible because he was too attacking and not pragmatic enough to adjust his tactics and couldn’t coach a piss up in a brewery etc.

And apparently now, despite 4 points out of 6 (including versus probably the best team in the world) and doing exactly what many were demanding of him, he’s too pragmatic and too boring. Hilarious stuff. 

• Like 1

We will basically comfortably stay up by playing pragmatic football because our quality of players and squad depth easily trumphs the bottom clubs, over a season results will reflect that. 

But if we want Europe we need a coach who is able to successfully implement an attacking style of play. 

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â