Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I still want him gone. A decent performance against City is all well and good, but it comes after a year of poor performances. Plus they should have scored several more than they did. 

W11 D5 L16 according to premierleague.com - that's 38 points from 32 games (1.2 ppg) in his tenure here

W1 D1 L4 so far this season - that's 4 points from 6 games (0.7ppg). 

Apart from City, performances have been terrible, there has been no sign of improvement, no sign of a plan. 

He has to go. One result against City does not change that. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I still want him gone. A decent performance against City is all well and good, but it comes after a year of poor performances. Plus they should have scored several more than they did. 

W11 D5 L16 according to premierleague.com - that's 38 points from 32 games (1.2 ppg) in his tenure here

W1 D1 L4 so far this season - that's 4 points from 6 games (0.7ppg). 

Apart from City, performances have been terrible, there has been no sign of improvement, no sign of a plan. 

He has to go. One result against City does not change that. 

It is also 32 games in his entire career as a Premier League club manager

3 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Still get a chuckle out of this moment:

“Yes! Let’s go!… wait you guys sit back down. Don’t get too happy.”

spacer.png

Calm down, calm down.........

(With acknowledgement to Harry Enfield)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I am very happy with the result. It was important to stop the rot. 

But let's not rewrite history here. 

Gerrard managed to organize us in a very defensive shape and managed to get a good result. Fair play to him and let's hope we can build on that. 

But the idea of us going to to toe with Man City that game is simply not true. 

Would you say we went toe to toe with them last game of last season?

3 hours ago, sne said:

The 7-2 against Liverplop was kinda fun thou. Once in a blue moon of course, we are decades behind them in every way.

Indeed, I loved that. But that result was an outlier, unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our manager is being paid millions to learn on the job. I wish I was afforded the same luxury. 

If we don’t beat Leicester, he needs to go. His record is atrocious.

Exactly no top level manager should be learning on the job, he should have followed the same path as Vieira. Possibly challenge himself in a different country after the Rangers job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is also 32 games in his entire career as a Premier League club manager

Which is also the reason I was concerned about his appointment in the first place. Clearly rightly so.

Our club is not some rookie manager training scheme.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, daft said:

Indeed, I loved that. But that result was an outlier, unfortunately.

That was during a great first half of a season, as good as we’ve had in the top flight for so long.  Because of that first half of the season and despite being poor in the second half of the season we still ended up with 55 points, that first half was so good and we played great football.  That seems a world away from now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That was during a great first half of a season, as good as we’ve had in the top flight for so long.  Because of that first half of the season and despite being poor in the second half of the season we still ended up with 55 points, that first half was so good and we played great football.  That seems a world away from now.

It really does  we were going toe to toe with any team, even VAR had to intervene to stop us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think that whole season was an outlier in many respects. 

#GerrardInfornow

Agree, and that's something you see quite bit of with inconsistent teams.

Edited by daft

39 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Exactly no top level manager should be learning on the job, he should have followed the same path as Vieira. Possibly challenge himself in a different country after the Rangers job.

I agree.

The daft thing about the City game is we played well because he finally realised the system he’d used since at the start of the season was daft. It took a star studded Man City team in red hot form to make Gerrard play more defensively with more disciplined full backs and two players who are solid in possession to sit in front of the back 4. 

I fail to believe he would have played this system or picked the team he did if we were playing anyone other than City. 

Hopefully he learns and plays a similar team next match with McGinn the only exception. 

The point I’m trying to make is, it’s embarrassing that he’s stumbled on a system that most people on Villatalk have been crying out for, for months. 

I have no faith in his management. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Reverting to Steve Bruce/Alex McLeish-style of play will bring some stability and we will probably be safe in the lower half of the table, but the other teams that we should compete with like Wolves, West Ham and Brighton and others will increase the gap to us. No way do I agree with sacking Smith to revert to this.

I'm willing to let Gerrard grind out some results in the coming two games, but then I want a proper manager in. Preferably Potter.

What if it was an O'Neill style of play? Also is a bit odd that you picked West Ham and Wolves to increase the gap given a more conservative style, I'm not sure if you have seen either of those teams play recently but it's hardly tiki-taka. 

That's not a defence of Gerrard or even a suggestion that he's capable of it, but this aversion to compact, counter attacking football is quite frustrating to me. Because it's one of the simplest, most effective ways a club can progress up the table in any given division. It's what we did when Gerrard first came in, and everyone seemed to enjoy winning? 

45 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Needs four points from the next two. 

I think only 6 points, and convincing performances would make some people consider some patience.

I haven't jumped back to " SG in " but you know the bloke is hated when people are finding every reason under the sun why a point against Man City isn't so good. Lol

I personally want 6, as that would balance out the terrible start.

Â