Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Just spotted this article on twitter, it puts into words almost exactly how I feel watching us play. It's a shame it's on an obscure site rather than a mainstream one.

Optus Sport is the main broadcaster of the Premier League here in Australia, so it's not exactly obscure 🙂
But I can understand its not a major British or American outlet.

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Optus Sport is the main broadcaster of the Premier League here in Australia, so it's not exactly obscure 🙂
But I can understand its not a major British or American outlet.

Ah, the more you know! 

Tbh I'd have had most American outlets as obscure also, I more meant because pressure from the press can push a club to react but it's easier to ignore from non-mainstream British Press.

A good article though, and props to them for investing in genuine opinion, would be easier to just pay a fee to a 'name' for an uneducated opinion

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Just spotted this article on twitter, it puts into words almost exactly how I feel watching us play. It's a shame it's on an obscure site rather than a mainstream one.

Four games? Takes us up to international break. Why if we lose to Arsenal and City, but beat Leicester and Southampton, is that enough to save him?

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Four games? Takes us up to international break. Why if we lose to Arsenal and City, but beat Leicester and Southampton, is that enough to save him?

Yes I would think so. Any sign that things are improving will save him in the eyes of the owners and Perslow.

5 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Yes I would think so. Any sign that things are improving will save him in the eyes of the owners and Perslow.

That’s why I’d pull the pin now.  Don’t give him the chance to pull a cabbage head result out of the bag and them limp on for another 6 or 7 games

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

2 losses this week should see him on his way IMO. They shouldn't be considered free hits. They are games that we need a result from.

Exactly. We are a team that, according to the board, is expected to be challenging for Europe. Teams that challenge for Europe don’t go into a game against any team expecting to lose so treating it as a free hit.

Southampton beat Chelsea last night so anything is possible and everyone needs to work their nuts off to try to get a result.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Ah, the more you know! 

Tbh I'd have had most American outlets as obscure also, I more meant because pressure from the press can push a club to react but it's easier to ignore from non-mainstream British Press.

A good article though, and props to them for investing in genuine opinion, would be easier to just pay a fee to a 'name' for an uneducated opinion

Definitely agree it's a well written article though. 

Particularly enjoyed this bit describing the current malaise:

"Watching Villa this season is football as conceptual art; a hypnotic study of football without football, stripped of its essential core. The ball is carried into the penalty box but the audience has no memory of how it got there. They move with an uncanny resemblance of a football team on the attack yet there’s an eerie sense no highlight, no action, could ever be created. In this piece, the viewer is invited to ponder the illusory construct of reality and the mass hallucination of sport as existential relief.

It is difficult to discuss Villa’s aimlessness under Gerrard without resorting to sarcasm because it can be hard to pin down, with data or tactical analysis, exactly what is wrong with something that turns to dust on contact. But pause any footage of a Villa game this season and witness a team shape of maddening proportions, a cross or a star as likely as a triangle or square."

The article is more interesting than our football!

23 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It probably would be.  I'd feel more comfortable about us avoiding relegation at least, albeit we really should be aiming higher than that.

7 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

2 losses this week should see him on his way IMO. They shouldn't be considered free hits. They are games that we need a result from.

I think he'll be gone if we lose to Arsenal and City.  Cirtchley in charge for Leicester and Southampton, then a new manager in after international break for Leeds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

This article hits just about every nail bang on the head, especially the bit about us being boring to watch. 

It's just so tiresome. We know this isn't going anywhere, yet still we have to put up with him. I hope the board are already scouting out replacements so that when he does go they can bring them in immediately.

• Like 2

Â