Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure I've ever known the fanbase to be so unanimous in wanting a manager out. Even by the end of Bruce's tenure he had more support than Gerrard has. I'm sure even McLeish had some backers by the end.

I don't know a single Villa fan who wants Gerrard to stay

I know one. He'll see sense soon enough. 

It’s so annoying that the media are just looking at 4 games into the season when it’s longer than that. I’m tired of pundits making us out to be unreasonable for feeling this way. 

Yesterday he made some mind numbing decisions, it almost felt like he was being an enemy of progress by taking off Luiz and keeping Mcginn on until the 90th min.

I’ve respected him as a player, but right now as a manager? He can chase his greatness as a manager at another club, we’ve got too many decent players and good resources to throw it all away.

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

People expecting an imminent dismissal are likely to be very disappointed in my view. History seems to have been clouded somewhat in some peoples minds but NSWE were very patient with Dean. We had awful, sustained periods in each of Dean’s seasons in charge and they stuck with him through the first three of them. I suspect that Gerrard will be given until at least the WC break. 
It is however, becoming harder and harder to see what Gerrard is trying to do. He desperately needs to change things in the hope that a change in fortunes follows. I think Luis will get a run of games now which is helpful. At Arsenal, I would also play Tim as a 6 alongside Bouba, allowing Luis to play more centrally as an 8. He can then play Phil/Emi and Leon as inverted wingers with Ollie up top. This will enable us to sit deep and hit Arsenal on the break.

I actually think we will get something at Arsenal. They are due some dropped points and we are due a bit of luck. If Gerrard is brave enough to mix up selection and tactics then we may even win. 

@lexicon - found the fan! Even suggested we would win a game of football! 

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some have said he didnt acknowledge the fans after the game. If true that's 2 weeks in a row

sorry but i'm getting annoyed with this stick that's being used to beat him with on here and social media (there are plenty of others, take your pick)

home games the managers seldom do it anyway. deano certainly didn't every game.

it's just a weird thing to be annoyed about

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

His managerial career will go the same way as Roy Keane's. He's been found out already. 

Feels more and more like it. Or we are rotten to the core as aclub and he'll go on to win the CL, but i sincerely doubt that.

Im a Chicago Bears fans. When they sacked sacked the coach last season they also sacked the general manager who scouted, recruited and backed him.

He was also a stubborn control freak who seemingly self sabotaged himself in order to have things done his way. 

Since sacking him it turns out that the players weren't actually as garbage as they appeared under him. They were just operating under impossible conditions 

• Like 3

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

Im a Chicago Bears fans. When they sacked sacked the coach last season they also sacked the general manager who scouted, recruited and backed him.

He was also a stubborn control freak who seemingly self sabotaged himself in order to have things done his way. 

Since sacking him it turns out that the players weren't actually as garbage as they appeared under him. They were just operating under impossible conditions 

What’s sacked sacked? Is that an ultimate form of sacking that Im not familiar with? What happens? 

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

If I’m honest, I think Purslows time could be up as well soon. This next appointment could certainly be his last if he doesn’t pull the stops out and secures the right man.

Edited by Ingram85

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some have said he didnt acknowledge the fans after the game. If true that's 2 weeks in a row

It’s become a habit of his, just runs down the tunnel at the final whistle. His captain has been guilty of the same, although he did clap the fans with a few other players like Chambers yesterday. 

It’s such a mess, the players aren’t happy either.

Why did we do this? One of the worst decisions ever… lost everything that was good…

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

What’s sacked sacked? Is that an ultimate form of sacking that Im not familiar with? What happens? 

I’m assuming that the first sacked relates specifically to American Football as it is a term commonly used.

Whereas in this country ball is more commonly used so, with any luck, Gerrard is getting ball sacked right now.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

It’s so annoying that the media are just looking at 4 games into the season when it’s longer than that. I’m tired of pundits making us out to be unreasonable for feeling this way. 

Yesterday he made some mind numbing decisions, it almost felt like he was being an enemy of progress by taking off Luiz and keeping Mcginn on until the 90th min.

I’ve respected him as a player, but right now as a manager? He can chase his greatness as a manager at another club, we’ve got too many decent players and good resources to throw it all away.

That decision is what lost us the game. A similar decision lost us the City game.

Plebty of occasions where we have thrown games away down to him and him alone.

He is appalling, clueless. When does he ever get anything right? He never affects us in a positive way nor does he make positive decisions.

He’s a joke.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

History seems to have been clouded somewhat in some peoples minds but NSWE were very patient with Dean.

I don’t think NSWE were very patient with Dean.  He had built up a lot of credit with Villa and was prone to go on bad runs and good runs.  The overall success he has with Villa from promotion first season, avoiding relegation second season and 55 points third season was the bigger picture.  

Yes 2021 form fell away badly but things like Covid, Jacks injury, then never been able to field his new players in 21/22 season would’ve been viewed but even then he was fired.  Some fans say early, some say late but it’s hard to argue that NSWE were too patient.

Gerrard has not got any credit in the bank because he’s been poor for most of his tenure and we looked to have regressed.

It’s getting harder to compare this situation with Smith’s. The results are the same but Smith wasn’t making basic mistakes that were obvious to everyone watching. Sure smith had a falling out when he dropped Mings but he didn’t alienate him or anyone else in the squad - there were no rumours of him having lost the dressing room.

There was a small chance that Smith could’ve turned things around and he’d done it previously the season we stayed up.

I can’t see anything redeeming SG’s position right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Nothing wrong with our football club except the manager. Club is nowhere near rotten

Thank you, I’m sick of seeing crap that is aimed at deflecting blame away from one of the worst managers we’ve ever had. It’s all on him, it really is.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think NSWE were very patient with Dean.  He had built up a lot of credit with Villa and was prone to go on bad runs and good runs.  The overall success he has with Villa from promotion first season, avoiding relegation second season and 55 points third season was the bigger picture.  

Yes 2021 form fell away badly but things like Covid, Jacks injury, then never been able to field his new players in 21/22 season would’ve been viewed but even then he was fired.  Some fans say early, some say late but it’s hard to argue that NSWE were too patient.

Gerrard has not got any credit in the bank because he’s been poor for most of his tenure and we looked to have regressed.

Thanks, that’s true. SG has done nothing for us and I really don’t think Dean ever came close to looking anywhere near as clueless and inept as his successor. For the most part, he knew what he was doing and was very successful because of it.

This guy is the worst.

We shouldn’t even disrespect Dean by associating him with SG. He’s not in his class, at all…

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

People expecting an imminent dismissal are likely to be very disappointed in my view. History seems to have been clouded somewhat in some peoples minds but NSWE were very patient with Dean. We had awful, sustained periods in each of Dean’s seasons in charge and they stuck with him through the first three of them. I suspect that Gerrard will be given until at least the WC break. 
It is however, becoming harder and harder to see what Gerrard is trying to do. He desperately needs to change things in the hope that a change in fortunes follows. I think Luis will get a run of games now which is helpful. At Arsenal, I would also play Tim as a 6 alongside Bouba, allowing Luis to play more centrally as an 8. He can then play Phil/Emi and Leon as inverted wingers with Ollie up top. This will enable us to sit deep and hit Arsenal on the break.

I actually think we will get something at Arsenal. They are due some dropped points and we are due a bit of luck. If Gerrard is brave enough to mix up selection and tactics then we may even win. 

Sorry mate but there’s nothing to suggest that Gerrard can set us up to beat Arsenal. I’ve watched almost all their games as well this season and they look the business, it’ll be Crystal Palace again but worse potentially. Obviously football is unpredictable, but we lack purpose and ideas and Arsenal don’t.

Â