Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 08/04/2022 at 01:41, skarroki said:

I still maintain Gerrard hasn't done enough with what he's had available to him in the time he's had. If he doesn't hit the ground running next season I wouldn't expect him to be afforded as much time as the last man. If he doesn't endear himself to the players and fans then it'll be a lot easier for the board to pull the trigger in a bad spell. 

Just quoting myself because this is still where I'm at with Gerrard 4 months later. 

I'd say fans still dislike him and the dressing room cannot love his style. He has the personality of a toilet brush, prickly, pungent and really boring

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Just quoting myself because this is still where I'm at with Gerrard 4 months later. 

I'd say fans still dislike him and the dressing room cannot love his style. He has the personality of a toilet brush, prickly, pungent and really boring

Exactly, why you want to give this bloke any more time is beyond me, the only reason I want to give him the next two games is so he is firmly rooted at the top of the list as our worst manager ever!

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its OK guys as somebody told me the other night, its cool he is learning. Let him do his thing

Aston Villa is not important

This is one of the many reasons I don't like him, it definitely doesn't help him that Liverpool attract more than their fair share of delusional fans who think Liverpool FC and everything attached to the club and its history deserves respect and attention from all neutrals. 

I can't count on both hands the amount of times a Liverpool fan has told me how much Villa has improved under Gerrard and what a good player Coutinho is now he's found his form. As if them watching a couple of highlights back in February override me supporting the club and following it daily. 

"You can't seriously say he's a bad manager compared to all the other ones you've had since Houllier" someone actually said to me on a night out. Didn't even want to talk to the **** or talk about football 

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Gerrard is quick to blame the players but Moyes changed the shape at the break and Gerrard didn't react. 

That's on Gerrard  not the players. He is tactically inept. 

I can't understand how everyone cannot see this, we might start ok but other teams work us and adapt and we don't adapt at all.

• Like 2

I am not angry at him, just not interested any more. I have heard and seen enough. He isnt going to turn into a different type of manager in the next few days. He isn't going to find his style of play in the next few days and weeks, so what's the point? Its been 9+ months, a pre season and two windows. Its done.

Its just going to make everyone uncomfortable having a lame duck manager. The players and fans need a boost now and we need to be able to recruit openly to get the best candidates.

• Like 2

I think a managers time is always close to an end as soon as you start to see favourites. 

Any manager can pick the same player week in and week out and have favourites but you don't notice them when they're good managers / good (consistent) players. Moyes might have Rice as a favourite and Hassenhutl might have Ward-Prowse as a favourite but it doesn't matter when they're playing so well. 

Gerrard keeps picking the same under-performing players and not dropping them will cost him. It's too obvious to even the layman. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This assessment seems realistic and very credibly dispassionate to me. I like it.

But I'm not sure it even matters why SG doesn't seem to be working out except, well, we're on a football message board, and if you can't overthink shit here, where can you lol? 

[snip]]

It's not working. Doesn't matter why. Don't need to work out all the nuances of how we got here. We're here. We need to stop the rot. 

Matches are the time for being passionate and throwing things at the telly. In between matches is the time for (over)thinking. You have to hope that the owners and Purslow and Lange are being dispassionate. It's the only way to make a decision of this magnitude.

The "why" matters because you want to be sure that SG is the problem, and you have to consider other explanations first rather than jump to conclusions. The "why" also matters because, even if they've given up on SG, you hope they learn and don't make the same mistake twice.

I've seen enough that I don't think that SG has the tactical judgment to take the team forward. I've considered the other explanations and they don't convince me anymore. But that's easy for me to say on VT...I'm just a fan who wants his team to win. it's not my job or my millions of pounds on the line. The decision-makers have a different set of passions potentially affecting their decisions than we do, like fear.

• Thanks 1

To much rumblings going on assistant coach leaves we hire one from Blackpool doesn't event make the tour down under  puzzling , captaincy debacle with Mings , players out of favour harshly treated , Sanson and Watkins don't look happy and dressing room in general  being played in the media to often to.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Throwing the players under the bus again. Yesterday the players played alright. The loss was squarely on Gerrard. 

I almost hope we lose 8-0 on Wednesday just to get him out ASAP.

Edited by maqroll

Timing matters -- IF Gerrard is sacked ...

I'm seriously wondering if I'll wake up tomorrow in the US at 10:45 GMT on Monday, and there will have been an announcement from the UK. It's not a bad time to make the move, in a way, but I go back and forth on the timing. And ... sorry ... but a big dithering part of me still feels it's the wrong move, yet I'm more divided now.  

When I look at the Next Manager thread, I honestly don't feel much hope. That's kind of weird. Is it just me? I don't know.

Waiting until after Man City also now sort of feels to me like a more logical moment if there is to be a sacking . We'll immediately face a shitshow for the next several weeks now matter what and we need to steel ourselves, but at least with Leicester coming up, a caretaker would have a chance and be spared the humiliations delivered by Haaland and Grealish? 

I do feel kind of just angry at Gerrard for generally sucking. We didn't need that! I don't blame him personally on an intellectual level, as that would crazy, and the nasty cruel mocking misspelled slams of Gerrard do strike me as deeply stupid and immature, but ... but ... but ... part of me is well and truly up for some immature slagging of SG for letting us down.

It's all one big flood of poo. When will it end?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Throwing the players under the bus again. Yesterday the players played alright. The loss was squarely on Gerrard. 

I almost hope we lose 8-0 on Wednesday just to get him out ASAP.

He's right though. The final ball from everyone was beyond poor. I agree tactically He's got apt to answer for. But some of the passing was horrific from everyone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Gerrard is quick to blame the players but Moyes made a tactical adjustment with their shape at half time which changed the game, and Gerrard didn't react. 

That's on Gerrard  not the players. He is tactically inept. 

He's also a throughly unlikeable bloke. All the issues now the writing has been on the wall for the longest time. At no point has he even remotely looked like a capable manager.

I would have sacked him at the end of the season. Last season was painful. I'd leave VP not seeing a team fight run or have a single shot at times.

It's the same this season and at no point have we even indicated it will change. The delusion on here was staggering.

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Timing matters -- IF Gerrard is sacked ...

I'm seriously wondering if I'll wake up tomorrow in the US at 10:45 GMT on Monday, and there will have been an announcement from the UK. It's not a bad time to make the move, in a way, but I go back and forth on the timing. And ... sorry ... but a big dithering part of me still feels it's the wrong move, yet I'm more divided now.  

When I look at the Next Manager thread, I honestly don't feel much hope. That's kind of weird. Is it just me? I don't know.

Waiting until after Man City also now sort of feels to me like a more logical moment if there is to be a sacking . We'll immediately face a shitshow for the next several weeks now matter what and we need to steel ourselves, but at least with Leicester coming up, a caretaker would have a chance and be spared the humiliations delivered by Haaland and Grealish? 

I do feel kind of just angry at Gerrard for generally sucking. We didn't need that! I don't blame him personally on an intellectual level, as that would crazy, and the nasty cruel mocking misspelled slams of Gerrard do strike me as deeply stupid and immature, but ... but ... but ... part of me is well and truly up for some immature slagging of SG for letting us down.

It's all one big flood of poo. When will it end?

giphy.gif

Same here mate. It won't change this time either. Trying to stay positive, but I'm just struggling right now.

• Like 1

Moans about having no creativity in the final 3rd. Leaves Emi and Bailey on the bench for the vast majority of the game.

McGinn is blowing out of his ass after 55 mins but sub's Luiz who has not put a foot wrong all game! Brings on Ramsey to partner McGinn, a partnership that does not work!

Gerrard is upsetting the players, that is plain to see, if i was Luiz i would tell Slippy where to stick the contract and if i was Emi i would be asking my Agent to get me the hell away!! I think Bailey will be on his way if an offer comes in. 

Are we getting punishment for thrashing his beloved Liverpool!?

• Like 1

Horrible bloke, horrible manager, sooner he's gone the better. 

Unfortunately, I reckon the club will just expect the beating from the next 2 games and then hope he gets a win against one of Leicester or Saints. That's the big worry for me. Fluking a win out his arse that will just prolong the inevitable. 

Â