Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m glad he was asked, and I don’t even think the reporter overstepped the mark in how he asked it. Gerrard went on the the defensive though I don’t think you can argue against it. I could nearly rhyme off the questions and answers from the press conferences now I have no interest in watching them. I’ve had enough of the rhetoric now it’s time to see it on the pitch 

I'm not a master of psychology but his response suggests Bailey is starting alongside Coutinho on Saturday. 

I won't dress it up and find excuses for our manager. I thought his response was rude and uncalled for. Gerrard's media work is generally quite good but I can't lie and say I don't find him rude at times. His response to that question was unnecessary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim said:

Didn't pick up anything strange at all, seemed more about not making it about one player then went on to say he is delighted with Emi and they were protecting him from a small injury after a good pre season.

He shot another snide comment at that reporter like 30 seconds later. It's very obvious he reacted negatively to an innocuous question.

Was a very spiky press conference overall. Unusual for him, he's usually pretty calm.

3 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Gerrard isn't doing himself any favours if he continues to pick Coutinho over Buendia. It reflects badly on his management and send the wrong message to the players that, no matter how hard you work in training or how well you do when called upon, you will not get a start. 

Sanson is clearly not happy with the approach. He also promised Hause game time when he signed his new contract but hadn't be anywhere near the first team since. You could argue Chambers should also feel aggrieved. It's becoming a theme of the Gerrard era.

Im surprised he dosent sign his wife,mum and dad and a few uncles to play "every week"for us.

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Doesn't seem to like being asked about Buendia. Very odd.

On 13/08/2022 at 09:45, Tomaszk said:

Gerrard won't like it at all if the press start telling him he should start.

He was waiting for it to attack :lol:Used Bailey as a big shield. The question couldn't have been more open as well.

"It looked to be a good performance from Emi Buendia when he came on as a sub. Has he done enough in your mind to start a game?"

Hardly "Why isn't your best player starting Steven?" 

The cuddly Friday pressers full of the same faces every week are different from the post-matches where a lot of nationals are there.

If Buendia is left out again, he will be getting peppered at them. Better get some more snappy responses ready.

• Thanks 1

He's a prickly Representative for Wellingborough with an over inflated ego. What was the post match last year when he was asked a benine question and he was absolutely rattled.

Play the correct players Stevie and don't get riled by really timid questions. You're not infallible you're a second rate manager with a lot to learn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'm not a master of psychology but his response suggests Bailey is starting alongside Coutinho on Saturday. 

I won't dress it up and find excuses for our manager. I thought his response was rude and uncalled for. Gerrard's media work is generally quite good but I can't lie and say I don't find him rude at times. His response to that question was unnecessary. 

It wasn't even a loaded question it was just a question about a player who came on and bagged a winner lol.

Gerrard doing an Alex Bruce and trawling social media obviously. He'll be shutting the mad lot up soon enough and doing it his way.

Edited by rodders0223

Very passive aggressive stance from SG in the pre - game, press-conference . Then again , what with the injury to Carlos and then having to answer those mundane questions, I suppose it's understandable. I just hope the squad isn't infected with any negativity, it's the last thing we need on the back of our first victory. 

Come on me Babbies. 

4 hours ago, daft said:

In all honesty journalists are all nob-heads and deserve to be belittled, berated and despised at every opportunity. People that couldn't find a proper job that benefits society and decided to make it worse instead. Either out of anger, spite or sheer ignorance. So power to Gerrard for telling those **** off as often as possible. 🥰

Wait, so given the immeasurable contempt you have for journalists, does this mean you never read papers, watch the news, or indeed ingest new and contemporaneous information on society at large?

I think he got irritated by the question because he has said pretty much every press conference he was nursing a knock and so was being eased back in and will eventually start. I think he will start tomorrow. 

Btw I don’t want an argument over this comment about whether he is lying about him having a knock or whatever else will get thrown at me. I’m not defending him. It’s just my opinion. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he got irritated by the question because he has said pretty much every press conference he was nursing a knock and so was being eased back in and will eventually start. I think he will start tomorrow. 

Btw I don’t want an argument over this comment about whether he is lying about him having a knock or whatever else will get thrown at me. I’m not defending him. It’s just my opinion. 

The question wasn't why didn't he start that game though. It was, did he do enough to get a start in the future.

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The question wasn't why didn't he start that game though. It was, did he do enough to get a start in the future.

Which insinuates he isn’t starting because Gerrard has his favourites which is why Emi is on the bench. Gerrard will know what is being said.  Maybe it’s made him a bit para.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Which insulates he isn’t starting because Gerrard has his favourites which is why Emi is on the bench. Gerrard will know what is being said.  Maybe it’s made him a bit para.

And it's a weird question to answer. Should he hand out the starting 11 or just a provisional starting 1 by answering 'yes'?

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Which insulates he isn’t starting because Gerrard has his favourites which is why Emi is on the bench. Gerrard will know what is being said.  Maybe it’s made him a bit para.

I mean I don't think it does, but it's not like he's only been on the bench for these 2 games. Stretching back to February last season, he's been on the bench literally 75% of the time. Surely he can't have had a knock that whole time? It's a fairly standard question. He's just defensive and spiky because he knows there's some truth to the insinuation that's not even really there.

1 minute ago, daft said:

And it's a weird question to answer. Should he hand out the starting 11 or just a provisional starting 1 by answering 'yes'?

He could easily say that he doesn't want to divulge team information but he's definitely pushing for a start...or something to that effect. Any number of things really before "did you see Leon Bailey?".

• Like 2

I'm not in the Gerrard out camp, but we've all got form for ridiculing Southgate over the exact same thing during the Mount/Grealish for England issue.

It's a silly way to respond. I'm sure he could have handled it better, regardless of what treatment the press deserve.

All that being said, the bit that actually matters is who he starts on Saturday. I'll judge him far more harshly if he doesn't start Emi.

Edited by Jonesy7211
  • Like 1

Â