Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I honestly believe that he doesn’t know what he’s doing and doesn’t know what his best team is. After 9 months… it’s incredible.

He is not a coach or tactician…  he is lost without an assistant who is probably required to do a lot more than people in the same role at different clubs… I don’t see what he offers, I really don’t… spending money and mouthing off are not “attributes” that make someone a top manager…

I really hope we can put in a positive performance and give Everton a good beating but I just can’t see or feel it… I’m very concerned by this manager… I hope he can make people like me eat my words and turn us into a force… I just can’t see it and that’s why I’ve been angry and frustrated. And there’s only any point to beating Everton if we go from strength to strength from there, otherwise I fear it would be papering over cracks and delaying the inevitable or more poor performances and results…

I really, really don’t want to see us waste another season… we have to make the most of it…

It feels like all the concerns we had upon his appointment have been more or less validated. 

After all we've been through over the last 10 years, we can suss out bullshit. And it feels like Gerrard is bullshit. 

I really hope I'm wrong and I'll happily  eat crow pie everyday for breakfast.

But it all seems totally askew and Gerrard leaves me cold.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

This isn't about 1 game. 

This is about after half a season, 2 transfer windows and spending some decent money, we look absolute shit. 

These rumours of bust ups usually don't just surface without something having gone on. I'd not be surprised at all, I can imagine Gerrard has a very abrasive style and some won't like that, especially in the pampered world of modern day footballers. Not saying if it has happened, it is all on Gerrard but he does seem to be making decisions that are dividing the dressing room and once that happens, he's ****. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rossi said:

Just want to put some perspective on this thread, we've played ONE game ! Gerard may not be the Messiah were all looking for, but FFS are things this bad 🤣

It’s full of disappointment and a bit of anger.  I can understand it and there was a time I would have been part of it. I just don’t care enough now. Maybe it’s an age thing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Probably because the people who were endlessly shouting down those who pointed out the signs of us being a bit shit have been there for months have gone conspicuously quiet. Hopefully we can improve from here.

What’s the point though? This thread has been an endless circle of negativity.

Ive supported Gerrard and quiet rightly I’m not happy with Saturdays performance and we need a big performance this weekend. 

There’s not much point saying anymore, constantly finding things to be negative about helps nobody. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Let's be realistic, IF we lose VS Everton and contuine to lose our next 4 games( highly possible as they are all tough!) the board are going to have a very tough decision to make! Purslow won't sack his mate. But has said the club want to finish top 7!  

Would the owners veto Perslow if things looked dire?! 

3 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Let's be realistic, IF we lose VS Everton and contuine to lose our next 4 games( highly possible as they are all tough!) the board are going to have a very tough decision to make! Purslow won't sack his mate. But has said the club want to finish top 7!  

Would the owners veto Perslow if things looked dire?! 

I like a lot of the things Purslow talks about but I hope and believe our owners wont let a bad situation fester too long. They want and I guess are demanding top level achievements. The 5 year plan for Euro football is getting ever closer. For me. SG has not shown any idea how to manage at this level. Get shot now!

26 minutes ago, jim said:

There’s not much point saying anymore, constantly finding things to be negative about helps nobody. 

To be fair, the football on Saturday was very negative. No need to go looking for it.

With the run of games we have, and rumours of a bust-up, I’m 50-50 whether Gerrard lasts until Christmas. Could be the end of Purslow as well if his big gamble doesn’t work.

31 minutes ago, jim said:

What’s the point though? This thread has been an endless circle of negativity.

Ive supported Gerrard and quiet rightly I’m not happy with Saturdays performance and we need a big performance this weekend. 

In this one sentence your contributing to the negativity. 

But, it's not negativity. It's realism. Anything else, right now, would be make believe positivity.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I am firmly of the belief that Purslow would sack his own mother if he felt it was the best way for him to achieve his aims.

Never has a truer sentence been written. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

In this one sentence your contributing to the negativity. 

But, it's not negativity. It's realism. Anything else, right now, would be make believe positivity.

It is negativity though. At this point it's just a vicious circle of people releasing steam by smashing home the same negative points over and over again.

You don't have to fake positivity, and everyone is obviously entitled to expressing the negativity, but equally, don't make believe that the negativity we see now is contributing to anything positive. It's firmly established in all circles that Gerrard is on thin ice. There is probably not a single person interested in Premier League football that is unaware of that fact. 

Edited by daft
  • Like 2

Also, what? Is his English really poor, my English really poor, or is he saying Carlos and Kamara isn't something to be excited by? 

And while the summer transfer market has hardly been incredibly busy for Villa, there was little to get too excited about in making Phillipe Coutinho’s loan from Barcelona permanent, nor the arrivals of Diego Carlos and Boubacar Kamara from Sevilla and Marseille respectively, especially when considering the loss of the highly promising Carney Chukwuemeka to Chelsea for £20m.

Edited by daft

5 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Probably because the people who were endlessly shouting down those who pointed out the signs of us being a bit shit have been there for months have gone conspicuously quiet. Hopefully we can improve from here.

This isn't true to be fair.

If you look back through the match thread, post match thread and Gerrard thread, most unanimously agree that the performance was dreadful and expressed deep concern.

It eroded alot of blind " faith " from some people and put even pro people on the fence, admitting that things have to change, and change soon.

However, choosing to take a step back and realising we need more than ONE game in the season to proclaim the whole " project " a failure is not being " conspicuously quiet ".

Repeating the same negatives or being Captain obvious with the evident issues isn't productive nor immediately changing or helping anything.

Ultimately, if this continues he will be gone anyway. The most productive thing to do until then is to try and provide some positive energy to the team. ( IMO )

As some have pointed out, Arteta lost the first 3 games of last season, Arsenal fans were incessant he was clueless and needed to go.

Now.obviously we know that for every " Arteta " scenario there is a Remi Garde or Sherwood but it is premature to determine an outcome just yet I feel.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I am firmly of the belief that Purslow would sack his own mother if he felt it was the best way for him to achieve his aims.

The idea that he wouldn't sack Gerrard because he likes him is nonsense - it's pretty clear that he does like him, he says he's never met anyone who hates losing as much as Gerrard does and he admires his attitude - but if he felt that Gerrard was preventing him being successful, he'd slit his throat in a heartbeat.

Agree and It’s getting a bit tiring seeing all this ‘Purslow hired his mate and won’t sack him’ bollocks. 

You don’t get to where Purslow has in his career by just sorting out your mates.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree and It’s getting a bit tiring seeing all this ‘Purslow hired his mate and won’t sack him’ bollocks. 

You don’t get to where Purslow has in his career by just sorting out your mates.

Unless he has lots of mates that hired him. 😄

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Rossi said:

Just want to put some perspective on this thread, we've played ONE game ! Gerard may not be the Messiah were all looking for, but FFS are things this bad 🤣

He is now challenging the Status Quo.....This team has had a lethargy about if for some time, and it needs challenging.

Any Manager coming in, would eventually have the same dilemma.

The soft under belly in this team has been around for some time now.....and it has to be addressed.

I am not saying SG is right about everything far from it, but he does need support in trying to bring about a change in attitude, which won't be easy.....how many times, have we witnessed sloppy play, capitulations, failure to beat teams we should be beating.....this has been bumping along under more that one manager.....it has to be met head on, for it to change.

Folk cite coaching as the problem, it may well be, but there is also more to it than that IMO......something is more deep rooted.

He has come in Mid season, with a brief to ensure, Premier League Status, with 19 defeats, the season was pants.....but stability was key.

He now has to start as he means to go on and maybe " shit or bust" maybe the order of the day is tackle the issues or go( The attitude of this team is taking us nowhere)......They have to back him to sort it out or sack him...but if they take the later, the problems will still be there, for the next man to face.....this has been a similar issue at Old Trafford.

It takes balls, more than money , to fix it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Â