Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Lampard's includes an FA Cup win against Boreham Wood.

Ah ok that makes a difference then, Lampard's PL % win rate drops to just under 31% and 0.9 ppg as Laughable chimp mentioned, which makes Gerrard's record significantly better.   The article I read it in was trying, I think,  to imply Gerrard has been performing worse than Lampard, which is why it surprised me.  Looks like a case of lies, damn lies and statistics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I enjoy seeing this and hearing him makes me want to give him time. 

Thanks for this, good insight into him behind the persona.

9 hours ago, Risso said:

It doesn't look anything like Roy Keane to me at all. Roy Keane is a belligerent arsehole completely ill-suited to dealing with people in a reasonable and fair manner. He's perfect in his role as loud-mouthed argumentative pundit. Gerrard is just struggling to get consistent performances out of a team who have performed inconsistently for pretty much the last three years. He took over a team that was getting sucked into a relegation scrap and has at least established us in midtable. It's not as good as we were hoping, but it's not fair to judge him until next season and he's had the summer to bring his own players in.

And don't forget, when Keane was assistant here - Keane openly admitted would leave us in a heartbeat if it interfered with his Ireland role. We were used to promote his book, plain and simple. Very entitled individual.

8 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

And don't forget, when Keane was assistant here - Keane openly admitted would leave us in a heartbeat if it interfered with his Ireland role. We were used to promote his book, plain and simple. Very entitled individual.

To be honest, I don't have a problem with him on this basis, if he was open and honest about it; it's on us, and shows what a **** embarrassment of a club we were at the time that we hired him on that basis.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

To be honest, I don't have a problem with him on this basis, if he was open and honest about it; it's on us, and shows what a **** embarrassment of a club we were at the time that we hired him on that basis.

Absolutely. Circus.

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Same, most natural and likeable I’ve seen him recently.

Very good video.

Interesting that he thinks Suarez is the best player he's ever played with, even over Coutinho!

Mentions that he's as intense in training as he was in games.

All I want from Gerrard is a few real player upgrades that we wouldn't attain under Smith, and a subsequent improvement of results (hopefully).

If we finish 8th next year with deeper cup runs but no Europe, I'm ok with that. Just show us improvement in recruitment, performance and results.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sne said:

He also doesn't have the same ability as manager as he had as a player and that might also be a struggle for him to take in.

There is no doubt he is a young manager and relatively inexperience, but to take a team like rangers and go unbeaten and win the league has got to show he has something about him.

At any level that is some achievement. Makes me interested to see what he can do with a few of his own players and a pre-season 

• Like 4

I'm worried about the rumours of a mass clear out.  konsa, Bailey, buendia, ings, mcginn, mings all been mentioned.   mass change is rarely good and usually results in a short term backwards step.  hope its all bullshit.  if not then I'd rather we got shot of Gerrard now before we start going backwards and sink the club into crippling debt.  the squad is good enough for a top ten finish with the right formation and manager.

Edited by tezzaleed
  • Like 3

Was listening to a couple of the Villa Podcasts last night. Some of the opinion from different contributors are much like the thread.

In some sense, contradictory, like us as well.

They all mention that our players are too " small " , get bullied too easily, and agree that some of our " favourites " might need to be moved on and/or become squad players as they are simply not going to cut it.

Obviously they also mention that we desperately need a DM.

They've also started to have some concerns over Gerrard, but agree that he should get at least a summer.

* Is he stubbornly trying to stick to " philosophy football " at the expense of " winning football " with what we've currently got? Was one quote.

Just like on the board, it's interesting to hear that different contributors have different opinions lol. You can tell a couple of them would be ok to bin him, while others think it's crazy talk.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was listening to a couple of the Villa Podcasts last night. Some of the opinion from different contributors are much like the thread.

In some sense, contradictory, like us as well.

They all mention that our players are too " small " , get bullied too easily, and agree that some of our " favourites " might need to be moved on and/or become squad players as they are simply not going to cut it.

Obviously they also mention that we desperately need a DM.

They've also started to have some concerns over Gerrard, but agree that he should get at least a summer.

* Is he stubbornly trying to stick to " philosophy football " at the expense of " winning football " with what we've currently got? Was one quote.

Just like on the board, it's interesting to hear that different contributors have different opinions lol. You can tell a couple of them would be ok to bin him, while others think it's crazy talk.

..and of course whose the philosophy football will work - even with his own players ?

Seems like a lot of eggs going into one basket for me.

• Like 1

Â