Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

If they are serious they need to appoint a better calibre of head coach. Gerrard is £250m spunked up the wall waiting to happen

And what precisely is this miracle worker going to do with a team, that has our issues?.......give them a potion of his latest medical cure.

We have a poor midfield mate.....even the programme sellers know that....until he can bring in reinforcements, we will have to put up with more of it.

Is he going to corrrect a poor first touch.....Is he going to force a player in to a robust challenge, that suggests he wants to win the ball.

I am as frustrated as you hippo, but they were saying ditch Arteta, not so long ago....look what a bit of patience brings.

Make no mistake, if after all the work has been done and its still not right, he will tread the same path as Dean.

I have to say.......I look at this squad and I would be troubled to pick a first team......I see all the variations and permutations and none convince me, that one is better than the other.

That today, was piss poor, from some of our lot......and the disappointing thing for me is, i am not surprised, with some of them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

It's not an intelligent appointment at all. Check the early pages of this thread. The villa fans didn't want him - it baffles me why we went out such a limb for him.

Honest ? - you not recall his diving and whining antics as a player -? The way he set up a move to Chelsea to engineer a pay rise from Liverpool.

The blokes character is the lowest of the low - he is total and utter vermin - I can't believe our great club has employed such a disgusting individual.

If you read his book, you might know the reason.....oh sorry!! he is bound to say that, isn't he?

Maybe our great club, is disappointed that you can't accept his appointment, with grace.

• Thanks 1

I came back from the Leeds game thinking how much it resembled Brian Little’s 4-4 draw with Leicester.  We struggled for the remainder of that season finishing 4th from bottom.  Sir Brian then had a full pre-season and his own players, to which we won the Coca- Cola cup, FA semi-final and finished 4th!  I’m not saying Gerrard can or will do the same or come anywhere close.  He’s got the summer to stamp his mark at a minimum.  However I remain to be convinced as it’s very rare great players make great Managers.  I personally think he’s out of his depth!

That interview is the kind of thing that worries me, along with him seeming to give up in matches on the touchline before when we have been behind.  He cannot seem to cope with losing games which unless you're in a top 3 or 4 club you have to deal in a better manner than that.  I've never seen Arteta do it really, he seemed to recognise it's a work in progress and never spoke like that to an interviewer doing his job because he was salty after a defeat.  If Gerrard does this after every defeat then expecting him to take charge of a rebuild and all the ups and downs it will involve I think we will run into trouble.  It's not as if he is completely blameless in all this himself, not just the players.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

It's not an intelligent appointment at all. Check the early pages of this thread. The villa fans didn't want him - it baffles me why we went out such a limb for him.

Honest ? - you not recall his diving and whining antics as a player -? The way he set up a move to Chelsea to engineer a pay rise from Liverpool.

The blokes character is the lowest of the low - he is total and utter vermin - I can't believe our great club has employed such a disgusting individual.

Trolling, surely?

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

yikes, Gerrard is spiky as f*** at the end of this interview, lol.

I’d rather our manager wasn’t giving interviews like that to be honest. “I thought your questions would be a bit better”. It’s the sort of thing we’d rightly be calling out a Klopp or Guardiola as a bit of a prick for saying.

Set your team up in a terrible system, lose the game and then act like a prick in the interview. Not a brilliant days work for Gerrard for me.

I still don’t think we’ve got this system right. I still couldn’t tell you how we get it right in the summer without a ridiculous turnaround of players again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

That interview is the kind of thing that worries me, along with him seeming to give up in matches on the touchline before when we have been behind.  He cannot seem to cope with losing games which unless you're in a top 3 or 4 club you have to deal in a better manner than that.  I've never seen Arteta do it really, he seemed to recognise it's a work in progress and never spoke like that to an interviewer doing his job because he was salty after a defeat.  If Gerrard does this after every defeat then expecting him to take charge of a rebuild and all the ups and downs it will involve I think we will run into trouble.  It's not as if he is completely blameless in all this himself, not just the players.

I've seen Arteta rattled when he was struggling to find Arsenal some form.

I accept he doesn't like losing games, who does?

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He’s learning a bit on the job as well but I’m happy for him to do that here. Literally every other approach in my lifetime as a Villa fan has failed so I’m happy to let this experiment run it’s course. He might transform into a world beating managing. I certainly think he’s doing perfectly fine with a bang average squad. I don’t know how anyone can look at our team and think it’s anymore than a mid table team. 

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I’d rather our manager wasn’t giving interviews like that to be honest. “I thought your questions would be a bit better”. It’s the sort of thing we’d rightly be calling out a Klopp or Guardiola as a bit of a prick for saying.

Set your team up in a terrible system, lose the game and then act like a prick in the interview. Not a brilliant days work for Gerrard for me.

I still don’t think we’ve got this system right. I still couldn’t tell you how we get it right in the summer without a ridiculous turnaround of players again.

Every successful manager is a bit of a prick tbf. Just needs to back it up with results which I think on the whole he is. It’s very, very early days. 

He should be given time and thankfully I think he will be even if we all turn on him. 

• Like 1

I know you have to lose sometimes and I don’t like it never mind Gerrard!  I can accept losing to a better side if we have a go!  Today was rubbish and it’s on Gerrard.  His players or not we pay him to get a tune out of them.  Is it acceptable to watch performances like that until the end of the season?

I like his reaction in the interview.

As somebody said on here earlier watch how Arse constantly pressurise the ref today, we had more bookings and less fouls, we are too accepting and passive.

Interesting how he said some of the players lacked belief. I will be surprised if Luiz, Watkins, and even McGinn and Buendia are in the starting team in 12 months time. Too happy at their level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know and understand why we're so inconsistent, but it makes me wonder why we're letting another manager learn on the job and get up to speed with this league. We had one spend 3 years and get us somewhere where we felt like we needed to improve from. Why do we need to wait another 3 years (likely)? Can't be a financially sound decision I don't think.

• Like 1

I never wanted SG. His appt smacked of jobs for the boys via Purslow.

I like that he wants to try something different and I like the way he talks about the club etc. I hope he comes good.

The one thing I thought was a given with his appt is that he'd set high standards and have players of all abilities rinning through brick walls for him.

Same old passive villa, rolling over. Awful to watch and u dont think stevie has a plan b

14 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

what terrible system?

what was the right system then, if this one was terrible?

the ridiculous turnover you allude too, to fix it,is maybe what he thinks too.

5 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I like his reaction in the interview.

As somebody said on here earlier watch how Arse constantly pressurise the ref today, we had more bookings and less fouls, we are too accepting and passive.

Interesting how he said some of the players lacked belief. I will be surprised if Luiz, Watkins, and even McGinn and Buendia are in the starting team in 12 months time. Too happy at their level.

Saying your players lack belief is basically admitting you’re a shit manager. If only you were a more inspiring coach ….

Not a great comment but saying the right things in interviews is difficult tbf. Being Prem manager is a lot like being a politician, sending the right messages here and there.

• Like 1

Â