Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I can't see how anyone can defend Gerrard while he continues to make the same mistakes over and over, we have this squad and we need to stay up with it, we won't if we continue with this system, we will go down it's as simple as that, if we can't beat Watford at home then where are the points coming from? 

Brighton will pull us apart next week, it could be 3 or 4 against us, if he starts the same formation Potter will know exactly how to set up .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Saw some talk that he's apparently " upset a few players " since he's been here.

I don't know if I should take it as them being p*ssies about being told hard truths, or that his man management needs improvement?

I'm leaning towards the former, but you never know.

Ron Saunders frequently upset players. But the upset players responded by generally upping there game on the pitch.

It's not as easy as just bawling home truths at players. The Key is to get those players performing to optimum levels.- 

The tough guy approach - on its own won't achieve much.

As Targett has shown there are takers for these players. If SG wants to drum players out the club - the players will just pick up a signing on fee and play for someone else.

If (as it appears) whole swathes of players aren't responding to Stevie Gs methods - then we have pretty serious issues.

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Saw some talk that he's apparently " upset a few players " since he's been here.

I don't know if I should take it as them being p*ssies about being told hard truths, or that his man management needs improvement?

The Roy Keane approach to modern footballers 😂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Something that’s confusing the life out of me is how we find ourselves in this position 3/4 times every game and Gerrard can’t see how much of an issue it is. Both of these come from a quick counter where we comfortably have possession. The first one JJ gets done by a pass and luckily the shot gets put wide. The second one Emis forced to make a save. The first time I noticed how bad this was against United in the FA cup. They must have had 5/6 breaks exactly like this. It’s insane that we’re continuing with this. JJ cannot defend, so stop playing a system which sees him and John Mcginn ending up in right and left back positions. All for a bit of attacking width from our full backs, which is yet to convince me has any benefits. We don’t have Weghorst up top. It’s mind blowing.  

0F421C5F-97E4-4F53-92F0-3440C2E58163.jpeg

77BCA8CC-E018-4E15-BAD8-36B626FC90CF.jpeg

and we nearly always get punished (occasional Emi save aside) yesterday for the Watford goal I couldn't believe that we all somehow managed to get back into the penalty area waiting for the cross and still somehow conceded, was one of the most pathetic things i've ever seen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

I can't see how anyone can defend Gerrard while he continues to make the same mistakes over and over, we have this squad and we need to stay up with it, we won't if we continue with this system, we will go down it's as simple as that, if we can't beat Watford at home then where are the points coming from? 

Brighton will pull us apart next week, it could be 3 or 4 against us, if he starts the same formation Potter will know exactly how to set up .

Luckily for us Brighton just want to win the XG and not the game so we have a chance of getting a draw 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ron Saunders frequently upset players. But the upset players responded by generally upping there game on the pitch.

It's not as easy as just bawling home truths at players. The Key is to get those players performing to optimum levels.- 

The tough guy approach - on its own won't achieve much.

As Targett has shown there are takers for these players. If SG wants to drum players out the club - the players will just pick up a signing on fee and play for someone else.

If (as it appears) whole swathes of players aren't responding to Stevie Gs methods - then we have pretty serious issues.

Definitely. Psychology skills are crucial to have as manager, knowing which players respond to what. The real old school way of yelling and arse kicking is pretty limited.

I have thought of Gerrard as being smart this way and I still hope he is.

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm guessing a few have already been shipped out e.g. AEG and Targett.

Perhaps the ones who remain here like Watkins and Luiz will leave in summer but they remain regulars so we  need to sign serious talent to replace them.

Going to be interesting summer. I said a few weeks back I believed we were at stage of season where we just need 2-3 now per transfer window but a poor transfer window and it probably goes to 4-5 new players again but we all know the pros and cons of that and the endless cycle you get into if you then start the season poorly.

12 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Worse than Dean's last ten games. 

We played 12 Premier League games under Dean this season - Won 4, lost 7 drew 1.

Under Gerrard so far. P13

W5 L6 D2 

Very clear new manager bounce, then atrocious. The more time goes on, the worse we look. 

• Like 1

Its not about Smith, we should have only  got rid of him to replace him with someone who was proven , an upgrade. We didn't we took a chance on rookie who's struggling . He's never been in a relegation battle at any level as player or manager or even assistant. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Does anyone think that some of the dressing room don’t respect Gerrard? Everyone seems so unhappy and that bounce and joy the team used to have only last season seems to have gone. 

Why wouldn't they respect him? 

The bounce and joy as you say was also missing under Smith earlier this season as well. It's not just Gerrard. I'm not sure whats going on at the minute! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

The bounce and joy as you say was also missing under Smith earlier this season as well. It's not just Gerrard. I'm not sure whats going on at the minute! 

Gerrard did throw them under the bus last week but I think they still respect him for his achievements

One thing that I think might have upset some players was how Targett was treated. He seemed a well liked player in the dressing room

Edited by Zatman

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One thing that I think might have upset some players was how Targett was treated. He seemed a well liked player in the dressing room

Obviously we don't know, but that does make sense to me. More so when the replacement doesn't even seem like an upgrade.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

You can see him sulking towards the end of the past 2 matches, it's almost like he can't comprehend why it's not working and sort of gives up. 

Indeed, doesn't exactly inspire confidence in fans, I can't imagine what the players are thinking when they glance over to the sidelines and see they're just being left to it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Xela said:

Well 'Oh wow, it's Steven Gerrard' only goes so far. Once that wears off it goes down to things like tactical knowledge and managerial experience, so if he's lacking there the players will obviously know. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Just play similar to the way we played when Gerrard first came, his primary focus was the clean sheet. I’d take that for now.

I agree with this. I’m a believer in the system gerrard wants to play having seen how it solidified us in his first few games. I think since signing digne and coutinho we’ve tried to play a more attacking version of it though which has made us more vulnerable. The full backs’ starting positions are too high and so we’re constantly exposed on the break. That’s a stark contrast with the first few games where we always looked difficult to break down.

he needs to go back to basics for the next game. I’d make two changes to solidify us- tell the fullbacks to start deeper with more of an onus on McGinn/Ramsey to be involved in the attacking play; swap luiz for chambers so that we shore up the centre of the park

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

A problem with a lot of great players who are 'winners' is that they can't cope with losing very well, especially as managers.  You can see him sulking towards the end of the past 2 matches, it's almost like he can't comprehend why it's not working and sort of gives up.  You have to accept that in mid-table you will lose matches and have to build back up the players' confidence and work hard to coach them.  The minimum I expect when changing manager is to coach the existing players to make them better and not just rely on the chequebook.

I remember terry saying about smith when he left that one of smith’s strengths was that he never got carried away with a win and he never got too downbeat with a loss. Gerrard seems to lack that stoicism to be fair 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

4 of those games were against Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool to be fair.

However yes, it's terrible viewing,

( and yes, I know we beat Man U 1 - 0 when Deano was here, before someone says it )

Let’s face it, those fixtures with Smith also included Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Wolves. 

Obviously defeat after defeat after defeat is demoralising and it’s going to create cause for justifiable criticism.

But when we face those return fixtures under Gerrard (minus Chelsea obviously), are you expecting many points from those games? I’m not.

Â