Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Some of the reactions in here are predictably hyperbolic and over the top. Today was terrible but Gerrard’s done a very good job. Next season is the time to really see what he and we can do. Until everything is in place, we’re going to have games like this.

He hasn't done a very good job at all.

Agree he gets next season (shudder) - but to say he has done a good job when we have only beaten Norwich and managerless Everton in recent months in stretching it.

I look at teams like Wolves and Brighton with total envy right now.

They are going from strength to strength, yet we are getting worse and worse. Lose next week at home to Watford and things will start to turn sour pretty quickly.

These games were meant to be our chance to push on and have a strong finish to the season. My mate stuck £50 on us to go down at 100/1. Can't see it myself as other clubs are far worse down there.

But I could see us easily 15th or 16th if we play like we have done in the last couple of games.

The lack of leadership and consistency in this team is pathetic, and apart from Martinez, Digne, Coutinho, Bailey, Buendia, Ramsey and the other youngsters, I couldn't give 2 **** if we replaced the rest of them.

Just now, sne said:

Hindsight and all that but maybe changing it up a bit earlier by using wingers against a Newcastle side who had to sub both of their full backs for much worse players would have been the right call today.

We hardly even tested Krafth and Dummet.

So true. We tested them but with our FBs so it was child's play. My patience for this setup is running real thin. 

Absolutely comical Cash gets the ball out wide and Newcastle can double up thanks to him being completely isolated. Either play wingers at the FB positions who can beat a man or let our wife forwards actually operate out wide where they can find space to operate. Liverpool doesn't even put this level of responsibility on TAA. Salah and a midfielder usually go out wide to support. Leaving Cash out there alone is going to drive me 🤬🤬

2 minutes ago, regular_john said:

Only the Villa would sack the best manager we've had for a decade and replace him with someone so inexperienced and out of his depth.

Gerrard was a great player, no doubt, but he hasn't shown anything as a manager to suggest he's going to be successful. SPL experience is basically irrelevant as an Premier League manager because it's such a weak, joke league.

There have been plenty of managers who have done much better in the SPL than Gerrard and still couldn't hack it in the Premier League. McLeish, O'Neill, Strachan, Rodgers - all managers who achieved much more in Scotland and did very little when they came south of the border.

Almost every word of this post is total nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

A lot of chat around from the squad and manager they are given very clear instructions.

Lip service?

Sorry not quite clear what you mean - do you mean that people are saying they’re given clear instructions but just not following them? If that’s the case then we have a serious problem with our players’ attitudes which would be a damn shame as I’d hoped we’d stamped all this poisonous atmosphere out. Maybe the players don’t like having a ball breaker around and if that’s what Gerrard has been (as we have been led to believe) and the players don’t like it, time to sack off all the players that want an easier ride. 

all very speculative of course 

The new manager bounce is gone. We keep hearing about Gerrard's higher standards and how clear his instructions to the players are, but you didn't see it today, or for that matter in the collapse against Leeds on Tuesday. Furthermore, Delphouneso made a good point in today's match thread...

This one's on the manager, said himself our running numbers were through the roof on Tuesday and picks the same XI against a fired up Newcastle team.

Deano talked about rotating players but never did. It's more of the same with Gerrard...he talks about wanting to have two players competing for every position, but he throws out the same XI today (other than the forced change for Konsa) despite the fact that the players are knackered. Sanson has not lived up to hopes, but he isn't any worse than McGinn or Dougie have been lately; give him a run. Remember how McGinn and Dougie got burnt out at almost the same time last season? It's happening again. Most of us think that Watkins has been out of sorts, why not give Ings a run? The subs Gerrard made were good ones, but maybe they should have been the starters and certainly they were too late...how many times did we say that under Deano? The commentator here in the States said it about right..."You get the feeling that Dean Smith was the victim of the expectations he created."

We're going to finish 10th-12th, right about the same as last year. No progress this year. All you can hope to do now is set the foundations for next year. I'm not saying Gerrard is a bad manager, only that he still has a lot of work and learning to do. Which is how I felt about Deano.

Gerrard is extremely lucky we played Everton under Duncan Ferguson and Coutinho played out of his skin for 20 mins against Man Utd, otherwise we'd be 2 points ahead of Newcastle right now and in serious trouble. He's done very little since he took over. 

Falling out with idiots at work who keep telling me we've improved since he took over. Losing to Brentford was the end of the honeymoon period but we've collapsed much worse than anyone could have expected since. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Sorry not quite clear what you mean - do you mean that people are saying they’re given clear instructions but just not following them? If that’s the case then we have a serious problem with our players’ attitudes which would be a damn shame as I’d hoped we’d stamped all this poisonous atmosphere out. Maybe the players don’t like having a ball breaker around and if that’s what Gerrard has been (as we have been led to believe) and the players don’t like it, time to sack off all the players that want an easier ride. 

all very speculative of course 

Define ball breaker though ?

Remember how vocal Terry was on the pitch - yet those close to him at VP when he was a coach said he was a very quiet man.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Ugh. Most of the criticisms of Gerrard here are very fair but can we PLEASE stop pretending that we were somehow doing fine under Smith? We weren't. We were playing like we played today every game.

No matter how badly Gerrard does from here on in, that doesn't change how badly we were doing under Smith in the end.

Definitely agree with this. I’m perplexed by Gerrard so far but that certainly doesn’t change the fact Smith had to go. Under Smith we’d have lost that 4-0 today. Love the man but we were so very finished under him 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, R.Bear said:

Almost every word of this post is total nonsense.

Which bit?

Smith was the best manager we've had since O'Neill. Gerrard is inexperienced as a manager. He achieved a lot less in Scotland than other managers who went on to do near enough naff all at this level.

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm amazed people are saying it's because our players aren't good enough. Does anyone seriously think that Newcastle have a better team and squad than us?

Newcastle started Jonjo Shelvey at the base of their midfield ffs.

Yep - there will be plenty of takers for those deemed not good enough.

Just now, skarroki said:

Gerrard is extremely lucky we played Everton under Duncan Ferguson and Coutinho played out of his skin for 20 mins against Man Utd, otherwise we'd be 2 points ahead of Newcastle right now and in serious trouble. He's done very little since he took over. 

Falling out with idiots at work who keep telling me we've improved since he took over. Losing to Brentford was the end of the honeymoon period but we've collapsed much worse than anyone could have expected since. 

But this just isn't true though? I don't know why it has to be case of Gerrard either doing an amazing job or doing nothing since he came in. Why can't there be some nuance to it? That we looked good when he first came in and were making improvements but for some reason have regressed again.

When the entire 11 looks this poor. That's on the manager and his team.  Newcastle weren't even good. They did nothing special. We just sat there and rolled over for a tummy rub. 

Steven's needs to stop trying to shoe horn his SPL dominating formation into a PL side. It's a joke. Fullbacks having to beat defenders 1v1 without overlapping runs or support. It got to a point Digne couldn't even put in a cross without it being cut out. Dean looks like Pep next to this guy. At least he was willing to change it up when he realized it was different world from the championship to the PL. 

• Like 1

Our midfield doesn't function and hasn't for a while. It looked better with Marvelous in there.

Doug and John can't fill the void and stops them doing what they are good at.

Not sure Stevie can change this with the players already here.

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Definitely agree with this. I’m perplexed by Gerrard so far but that certainly doesn’t change the fact Smith had to go. Under Smith we’d have lost that 4-0 today. Love the man but we were so very finished under him 

Agree - Smith had to go. We needed a managerial upgrade.

Â