Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

15 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Totally. It really gets on my nerves with, particularly in relation to the JG situation when the media were “Villa fans this” and “villa fans that”. There was a massive spectrum of opinion on that and various issues. There are v  few issues that we all actually agree. 

The Name and thats about it.

Taring everyone witht the same brush is futile.....even folk who agree on a political party can disagree on issues....its life.

24 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

People talk about the improvement of the midfielders. But really he hasn't made them better players.

What Gerrard has done is got the whole team playing closer together. Under Smith the defence was narrow, the attack was wide, the front 3 played very spread out the gap between the midfield and attack was very large and so if they supported the attack, the defence would be left with loads of space in front of it. Now they keep a set distance and move back and forward as a team to maintain close proximity. We are very compact.

This makes us hard to play through, means sat least 2 players are always available to receive a pass. Also means if the opposition come into that space they can be quickly closed down also.

Smith tried to be more expansive, but that also made us more open. 

But he has made the team harder to beat, as you say....I think they are more assertive too.....but a way to go yet.

He's certainly made Nakamba look a much better player. McGinn has always been a good player, he was just totally wasted playing in the two in a 4-2-3-1. Putting him back in a proper 4-3-3 and whodathnk it, back to being super again.

Beat the Burnley cloggers and Stevie G matches John Gregory's start.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

His win ratio will be the one to track....currently running at 66%...which is impressive, but too small a sample size, yet.

You can say that again.

Surely half a season at least, really a full season for it to have any credibility.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

You can say that again.

Surely half a season at least, really a full season for it to have any credibility.

but too small a sample size, yet.😜

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

But he has made the team harder to beat, as you say....I think they are more assertive too.....but a way to go yet.

I think that is to do with having the squad train as they play. This has increased the intensity levels, and the team are always ready for a fight now. He is basically unlocking what's already there.

43 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

You can say that again.

That figure will not be one to take seriously at any point because it's such a pointless stat.

Surface level stuff.

Take performances as the key indicator.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

18 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I think that is to do with having the squad train as they play. This has increased the intensity levels, and the team are always ready for a fight now. He is basically unlocking what's already there.

A very simple way to conform what SG is doing compared to DS  is to ( taking into account he has not been in charge very long )compare DS last 5 games to SG first 5 games....All with the same squad of players.

36 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

A very simple way to conform what SG is doing compared to DS  is to ( taking into account he has not been in charge very long )compare DS last 5 games to SG first 5 games....All with the same squad of players.

It's not simple, it's simplistic. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I hope not, but some of the responses to such a scenario would be very interesting indeed. For now we'll continue to enjoy the love in, that is Steven Gerrard. 

Im guessing most recent Villa managers have even Brucey did in Championship 

Â