Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I love it, I want some of it but I’m not there yet. I’m onboard with the Gerrard train now but I just don’t like when people put Smith down for little things and try and pump up what they perceive Gerrard would/will do/might never do.  

Smith was good for us, he’s gone now, left on good terms but still people are taking cheap shots to what end I don’t know.   Fine if people think Gerrard has a higher ceiling even though there’s no proof of that and yes Smith was a nice guy and Gerrard is not as nice.  It’s just irritating the continued cheap shots at somebody that only did good for us.

Good post, 100% agree mate. 

Back to Gerrard. There has certainly been positive signs over the last 3 games, I thought our game management against Brighton was very good, the first 45mins against Palace was close to perfect and the fight back in the second half against City was encouraging given their dominance in the first half. I’ve saw enough to convince me that this isn’t just a “new manager bounce” but of course it’s a very small sample size. 

It's a strange feeling, but whilst I'm very excited about the potential under him, I just don't feel fully associated with him. I think it's still so surreal to see Stephen Gerrard as our manager.

It doesn't compute when I see him there.

• Like 2

I'm really liking the fact he comes across as completely genuine. Some ex-players who become managers seem to spout some generic bollix where as Gerrard seem to be genuine in everything he says. 

The guy gives me utter confidence and can see then players responding likewise . 

Adding to the fact that he has done it all as a player commands respect also.

• Like 1

Must admit I'm hooked on these press conferences, from a footballing perspective they are a great insight.

As much as I like Dean Smith his press conferences were pretty clichéd and repetitive.

I love how Gerrard keeps reiterating how huge a club Villa is and how exciting the future is.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Must admit I'm hooked on these press conferences, from a footballing perspective they are a great insight.

As much as I like Dean Smith his press conferences were pretty clichéd and repetitive.

I love how Gerrard keeps reiterating how huge a club Villa is and how exciting the future is.

People said the same when Smith took over when he was talking about setting traps and using terms like low block and over loads. Was seen as innovative at the time

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

People said the same when Smith took over when he was talking about setting traps and using terms like low block and over loads. Was seen as innovative at the time

Fair enough, I think it seems Gerrard will be more tactically aware and exciting.

It all got a bit boring under Smith after awhile like the novelty wore off, got found out or something?

• Like 1

The responses are flawless. The bit about emulating Leicester especially. He gets us. This is what we’ve been saying with the whole Grealish saga, about how we perceive our club. Old school players like Gerrard know about Villa and holds us to the same high standard that we do ourselves. Love how he is our new adopted son haha. Go on Stevie!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

This is really what's tempering my excitement. We've been burnt far too many times in the past. If I'm still feeling this way at the end of the season, then I'll start to think he's the real deal.

Football changes really quickly though. Earlier this season, we went from beating Everton, playing Chelsea off the park twice on their own patch and winning at Old Trafford to the lowest point we've been at in 3 years in the space of a month or 2. Can't get carried away in this league. But all the early signs are extremely encouraging.

This.

Â