Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I will be the first to raise my hand and say that early signs are encouraging. Yes only been one game in charge so far, but I will admit that he seems to have the respect of the guys(Which clearly Smith from my perspective at least lost a little bit) and is saying and doing the right things so far. Not saying I'm 100% on the Gerrard train quite yet but will probably be joining the line at the ticket booth if we get a good result against Palace.

6 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

I will be the first to raise my hand and say that early signs are encouraging. Yes only been one game in charge so far, but I will admit that he seems to have the respect of the guys(Which clearly Smith from my perspective at least lost a little bit) and is saying and doing the right things so far. Not saying I'm 100% on the Gerrard train quite yet but will probably be joining the line at the ticket booth if we get a good result against Palace.

I don't think anyone can be 100% on the Gerrard train yet. There are lots of positives from his career albeit the lack of PL experience and he does appear to have the right attitude. Only time will tell if he will be successful with us but on the limited evidence to date it is all looking rosy in the Villa garden. Long may it continue.

• Like 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/11/22/steven-gerrard-bans-fizzy-drinks-sauces-puddings-canteen-menu/

Steven Gerrard has banned fizzy drinks, sauces and puddings as he implements his new code of conduct at Aston Villa.

Gerrard was appointed as Villa's new head coach earlier this month and is already introducing a strict rule on foods at the club's training base for the senior and academy teams.

He revealed at his unveiling last Thursday that he had already banned tomato ketchup and it is understood that a number of other sauces, including mayonnaise, have also been taken off the menu at the Bodymoor Heath canteen.

Gerrard is determined to maintain "extremely high" standards at the Premier League club and devised the list of prohibited items with his sports science team and nutritionists.

However, it has emerged that desserts may occasionally be allowed a day before a game to provide carbohydrates for energy.

Gerrard and his team have introduced the rules to reduce 'empty calories', which is believed to be foods made up primarily of sugars/oils which do not offer much nutritional value, and the idea has been well-received.

The former England international had a similar strategy at former club Rangers, and it is understood that Villa's women's team are also following suit.

"The facilities at the training ground are elite and the structures are in place for the team to be successful," said Gerrard. "There’s a lot of ingredients to get into my starting XI and the players will find that out.

"You've got to have the right mentality and go above and beyond basically, strive to be elite and be the best version of yourself."

Gerrard made a winning start to his Villa tenure on Saturday with a dramatic 2-0 win over Brighton, with late goals from Ollie Watkins and Tyrone Mings.

Villa face Crystal Palace away this weekend and Gerrard will have completed a full programme of training with his new squad, after many of the club's international players returned late last week.

He said: "We'll naturally implement our ideas and philosophy the more time we spend on the grass with the players, and we'll be working hard every day to get to where we want.

"Standards will be extremely high. My staff and I obviously came from Rangers where we had quite a big rebuilding job - we enjoyed success and have certainly left the club in a far better place.

"Our intention and focus is to replicate that here and we'll do that by working hard and driving standards."

Gerrard was in attendance on Monday night as Villa's Under-23s secured a 4-1 win over Burnley.

Villa's academy is one of the most progressive in the country and Gerrard is already keeping a close eye on a number of youngsters, including winger Jaden Philogene-Bidace, 19, who scored twice in the victory at Bodymoor Heath.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I get that it is a good soundbite for the media and I am sure it is part of many changes with more broad ranging ideas which all contribute to a healthy diet and an appropriate diet for an elite athlete. I very much doubt it is a list of no mayo, no ketchup etc, these product just happen to fall into the banned category and as such are banned and generates clicks. But I love the attention to all aspects of the club. I would have thought that in the first week he his priority would have been the playing aspect. But then again, he has brought a big team with him 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You have to wonder why professionals need to be told not to drink soda/pop. 

I wonder if they did. Players are't the only people that way at the canteen, and if I were support staff, I'd be smuggling in my own sriracha.

I can't imagine we had the first team digging in to the sticky toffee pudding every day

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villatillidie1980 said:

Love this!! 

Yes he was very hands on and vocal throughout most of the game. When the camera was on him at least he was always busy issueing orders and making sure the players got his messages.

I think when it comes to Liverpool, he will cherish the challenge and want to beat the pool. His passion is winning and beating klopp and his old club would be amazing for Gerrard. Whatever you think of Gerrard he was an amazing talent and it seems he's going to Carry it on in management. We just have to enjoy the time we have with Jim and hope his work pays off and he takes us to Europe someday, I certainly think he's got it in him to get us there.

10 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I think it will be a dark day when we are scared of playing Palace! 

Palace are a quality team this season under Vieira & should be respected but never feared. There will be very few easy games in this seasons EFL &  while I don't see Gerrard being afraid I feel he will always respect the other club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Careful now. 

spacer.png

I love this gif :)

I still love that too, really sums up Sherwood’s tactical nouse! Also knowing what happened after that, being 0-2 up against Leicester just makes it even more damning 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, villatillidie1980 said:

Love this!! 

This has to be the biggest difference between Gerrard and any manager we have had in my memory. Scoring a goal then pressing and getting another rather than sitting back. I’d love to see stats on how often pushing for another goal causes you to concede and draw, and how many times sitting back causes you to concede and draw. It feels like we cock it up more often than not when we sit back but that could just be because those last minute heartbreaks are more memorable. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spoony said:

This has to be the biggest difference between Gerrard and any manager we have had in my memory. Scoring a goal then pressing and getting another rather than sitting back. I’d love to see stats on how often pushing for another goal causes you to concede and draw, and how many times sitting back causes you to concede and draw. It feels like we cock it up more often than not when we sit back but that could just be because those last minute heartbreaks are more memorable. 

To be fair this was us under Smith for the first half of last season. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I always believe Sherwood got a little too much stick. We were great when he first arrived and he kept us up with a truly dire team. 

On the ketchup and soda thing, I think people too easily forget that footballers are total idiots who need their hands held in all aspects of life. They barely even dress themselves. And they come from working class backgrounds for the most part, which means cheaper food which often means food that is bad for you. It’s no surprise to me that they’d need to be expressly told that ketchup and soda = no, vegetables and water = yes

I think it's a nothing story really. There's nothing to stop players have a burger, with tomato ketchup and a can of coke once they get home.....or even on the way home 

22 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think it's a nothing story really. There's nothing to stop players have a burger, with tomato ketchup and a can of coke once they get home.....or even on the way home 

There is if there are rules against to which you have signed a contract which states you must abide by club rules. Breaking rules can result in fines, being dropped or being sold. Yes, a player can break and rules and try not to get caught but tends not to end well. I am hoping that Gerrard is instilling a very strict professional environment where everyone buys into what he is doing. Those that do not buy into it should be shipped out of the club. It is the small infractions that build up and help to create a lazy attitude. Gerrard maay get it wrong with some of the rules he brings in but that is not really the point. The players must realise that it is Gerrard's way or find another club.

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

11 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Love this, shows he's got a grip and influence on the dietary and eating conditions. I myself feel much better since I stamped out fizzy drinks, used to drink a bottle a day, all that sugar is no good. Gerrard will have high standards, even from his playing career he had those standards. All the managers who influenced him will of certainly moulded Gerrard to be the high standards guy he is now.

Think Mcormack would be in serious trouble if he were still here with all those bans 🤣

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You have to wonder why professionals need to be told not to drink soda/pop. 

It's a slippery slope... tastes good, feels good when you drink one especially energy drinks with all the flavours they have today. Seriously yes your right, professionals should know they are at the top in the no1 league in the world and they should not be having these now illegal soft drinks at aston villa.

Â