Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

After announcing we'd be playing possession based football we looked anything but. 

Great win today but yet to be convinced by him.

This is hilarious. He said himself it will take time. And definitely longer than a few days working with half a squad, against a side that outplayed Liverpool a few weeks ago. Come on man!

Just now, Davkaus said:

I've been called out a couple of times for being a bit anti-Gerrard, and I don't deny I'm going to take a bit of convincing, but jesus **** christ, it's been 5 **** days mate, and we won 2-0 against a team far higher than us in the table. Give your head a wobble.

Seriously, he's had a few days to work with the squad, granted not very long, but I saw nothing to suggest keeping possession was any part of the game plan.

I thought we were awful in possession for the vast majority of that game.

He's got a lot of work to do and I hope he manages to have us playing like peak Barca. But if today was an indication of a week of possession coaching it's not looking too clever.

Pressing was better in parts clearly.

Fingers crossed.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You can? Seriously I know you hate Dean Smith for bizarre reasons but if you think the football was an improvement then I recommend an eye test 

Yes. Pressing intensity was much improved. Some wonderful passing moves and McGinn and Mings looked much better. 

It wasn’t perfect but what can we expect after just a few days with a team that was devoid of confidence following 7 defeats in 11, on a run of 5 losses on the spin? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, jim said:

Yes. Pressing intensity was much improved. Some wonderful passing moves and McGinn and Mings looked much better. 

It wasn’t perfect but what can we expect after just a few days with a team that was devoid of confidence following 7 defeats in 11, on a run of 5 losses on the spin? 

Its disappointing if mcginn and Mings, 2 senior pros and key players for us look better after 3 training sessions

Is that Gerrard or is that them phoning it in and underperforming for Smith? I'm leaning to towards the latter 

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Looking forward to seeing how we play with Sanson in the team. Gerrard has said that he’ll be a big player for us given how he wants us to play.

Good result today, despite the fact that Brighton had no strikers.

Haven't they played like that the last few games with Trossard as false 9 though? Not sure if that's tactical or because Maupay had been out? I know he came on today.

There was a reaction from the players, something you hope would happen after a manager has been sacked.

Brighton still had their chances, great save by EMI could have been 0-1 at half time.

Thought Gerrard managed the game well considering his limited time with the squad

Its going to take some time to see the effect Gerrard will have, but a good win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Its disappointing if mcginn and Mings, 2 senior pros and key players for us look better after 3 training sessions

Is that Gerrard or is that them phoning it in and underperforming for Smith? I'm leaning to towards the latter 

New manager bounce. Let's see how consistently they can do it.

• Like 2

Just now, jimmygreaves said:

Seriously, he's had a few days to work with the squad, granted not very long, but I saw nothing to suggest keeping possession was any part of the game plan.

He's got a lot of work to do and I hope he manages to have us playing like peak Barca. But if today was an indication of a week of possession coaching it's not looking too clever.

Fingers crossed.

Brighton are known for their possession. Villa arent. We had Nakamba the worst possession based player and McGinn the second worst in midfield.  And Gerrard said that he did not know when we would turn into a possession based team. But that was his ultimate aim.  

Just checked the game last November . We had 56 percent possession against Brighton in that game. Pretty much proof that it takes time to coach possession based football even with a football genius like Potter. 

• Like 1

Great first 10 mins then shocking for the rest of the half. Much improved second half but still took a spark from the subs in Bailey and Young to get us really going. Pace out wide is essential for us. Buendia does not provide it in a team reliant on the counter as today proved.

10 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Fingers crossed.

You sound more like Gary Newbon

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Not an outstanding performance, but Gerrard got the key decisions right.

Increasingly looks like the Ings signing was a mistake - for him and for us. Surely we'll be starting Watkins centrally now?

I think we have to. Such a waste out wide and easily isolated 

Â