Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is literally just not true…I can list loads of professions that don’t.

Yes, there are some jobs that require customer facing time and outside of normal working hours for people. Doctors work nightshift in hospitals which is clearly not getting up early. But I think we all understand the (very understandable) point that gwi1890 is making.

37 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

I'd love to know who were the other names on our shortlist of 4...

Doris

Phill Babb

Frank the window cleaner

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yes, there are some jobs that require customer facing time and outside of normal working hours for people. Doctors work nightshift in hospitals which is clearly not getting up early. But I think we all understand the (very understandable) point that gwi1890 is making.

Understand it and it’s a terrible point. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nope…football games earliest is 12.30, most games are 3pm or afterwards with a material amount at 7.45pm.  As I said before when this was brought up, it can be justified to criticise if the players aren’t fit or bad performances, nobody would have an issue with that but preparation and training at equivalent times to games it’s hard to criticise that if the manager chooses that.  People were just looking to throw digs at Smith towards the end, which is fine but lazy reasons like training time are just lazy.

Saw a thing on xavis new rules at Barcelona, one of them being they have to be 90 minutes early to training 

The problem with the "news" that they started training at 12 or whatever it was is then the assumption that they can all then go to bed at 3am and get up and 11am before sauntering in to BMH

Closer to reality I would expect that training starts at 12 but the players are expected to be there around 10am to 11am to have a pre training meal, some gym work, a massage, some work with the physios or sports science team, maybe a swim etc etc

The late start will actually flush out who your lazy bastards are 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

It could be argued that van Bronckhorst has a better cv than Gerard as the Dutch league is usually a 3 club league, not 2. Just saying.

There’s loads of managers you could argue have a better CV than Gerrard, I don’t care about them though because they’re not our manager now, Gerrard is. I’d say many of the 20 shortlisted had better CVs than him, but he impressed at interview and has shown promise he has what it takes to be a successful football manager. 

Probably watched that press conference 3 times already.

He is saying all the right things. Clearly very well media trained.

Only thing is I felt a little bad for Mr. Lange who only got asked 1 question and talked for about 30 seconds...

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You’re missing the point. It worked for Wenger because that’s the way he was as a person. Fergie was a totally different personality and managed in a way that suited his own character. Both were successful, there’s no right or wrong it’s about making something work for you. Yelling at the players works for some but not for others. People know when you’re faking it and Wenger shouting would be completely out of character. I’m pretty sure that the Arsenal Invincibles team didn’t lack discipline. You have to be yourself and people will respect you for that. It’s just a matter of finding the best version of yourself to be successful. 

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Ermmm, is it bad I watched a bit of Dean Smith’s press interview at Norwich? 🙈

Not in my view, I watched it too 😪

Edited by Strog
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Annoyed that nobody asked Lange what their January transfer plans are. 

Watched a podcast earlier, Ashley Preece said he asked Lange today.

I think the answer wasn't definitive in any way.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Â