Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Yup - everyone on the coach was going mad. It's probably where my dislike of Liverpool came from.

What was you on a pensioners coach ? Because every coach I saw,  coming back, was in full party mode, in fact, such was the chaos with all the celebrations, most fans dispersed on to the motorway. And yet, your coach everyone just sat listening to the radio, how strange on such a joyous day.

19 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Without question. He may already have had one eye on us and started watching our games? That will obviously intensify now.

He’ll bring fresh ideas but I wouldn’t expect to see wholesale changes in system and personnel next weekend. Think he’ll have a watching brief in training over the next few weeks. 

I agree. I expect a standard 4-3-3 against Brighton. The immediate change I expect is to see more intensity from the players. Gerrard and Beale will have told them they need to up the ante and also the players looked like the had downed tools a little with Dean. I expect the players to try a bit harder to impress the new manager. Brighton is a good team for Gerrard in his first. They are fairly goal shy and that will give us a little breathing space to make an error or two.

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Wrighty is one of my favourite pundits. Loads of passion, talks sense (imo), and I don’t think I’ve ever heard him have anything but respect for Villa.

Always loved Wright, he got shed loads of stick when he came to VP but that was because he always score, but he took it all as it was meant as it was just banter, if you listen to him when asked about it he says this, a bit like Deeney, yes he's a bluenose but he gave as good as he got from us and if you listen to him about it, it was just all banter and that's the way it should be. 

7 minutes ago, Joshie2000 said:

Always loved Wright, he got shed loads of stick when he came to VP but that was because he always score, but he took it all as it was meant as it was just banter, if you listen to him when asked about it he says this, a bit like Deeney, yes he's a bluenose but he gave as good as he got from us and if you listen to him about it, it was just all banter and that's the way it should be. 

He could give it back too! Bantz.

Is it horrible to say I am getting more and more excited?

Looking forward to a lot of our players getting a kick in their behind to lay down the work at the pitch. Looking forward to more pressing play. Looking forward to a game plan. Looking forward to Chuk, JPB and Archer getting more minutes.

Sceptic at first, but it changed after reading all the research people have done on social media on how Rangers played. I think it suits our players, and cant wait to see it in action. Just hope we dont sign any Rangers players, so we avoid one of those traps many managers do. Bring in the backroom staff, and stop it there. Unless some of the Rangers players are clear upgrades on ours, and I dont see that.

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree. I expect a standard 4-3-3 against Brighton. The immediate change I expect is to see more intensity from the players. Gerrard and Beale will have told them they need to up the ante and also the players looked like the had downed tools a little with Dean. I expect the players to try a bit harder to impress the new manager. Brighton is a good team for Gerrard in his first. They are fairly goal shy and that will give us a little breathing space to make an error or two.

Agreed. Doubt he would change too much for game 1. He’ll be assessing the team. Expect changes (if they occur) for the second game.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not a fan of Wright but respect to him for mentioning Ramsey.  

More of a waxing lyrical than a mention !! It does warm my heart when an ex pro says things like " the kids got everything" and that " Gerrard might be able to take him and turn him into something amazing" 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

More of a waxing lyrical than a mention !! It does warm my heart when an ex pro says things like " the kids got everything" and that " Gerrard might be able to take him and turn him into something amazing" 

Yeah fair play to him. He also clearly see’s something a lot of our fans don’t! 

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not a fan of Wright but respect to him for mentioning Ramsey.  

There are quite a few pundits which I which I was not overly fond of. But everything I have heard from every single pundit has been really positive and complimentary towards Villa and the appointment of Gerrard. I knew he was a big name but I really didn't expect the blanket coverage we have been getting. It is nice.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Is it horrible to say I am getting more and more excited?

Looking forward to a lot of our players getting a kick in their behind to lay down the work at the pitch. Looking forward to more pressing play. Looking forward to a game plan. Looking forward to Chuk, JPB and Archer getting more minutes.

Sceptic at first, but it changed after reading all the research people have done on social media on how Rangers played. I think it suits our players, and cant wait to see it in action. Just hope we dont sign any Rangers players, so we avoid one of those traps many managers do. Bring in the backroom staff, and stop it there. Unless some of the Rangers players are clear upgrades on ours, and I dont see that.

He was not my first choice. I thought it was just media shyte when we were linked. But I am really coming around and am currently very very happy we have Gerrard as our Gaffer. Yes there is risk but it is also really exciting. It is difficult not to like what is happening

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What was you on a pensioners coach ? Because every coach I saw,  coming back, was in full party mode, in fact, such was the chaos with all the celebrations, most fans dispersed on to the motorway. And yet, your coach everyone just sat listening to the radio, how strange on such a joyous day.

National Coaches.

I was just saying what the radio broadcast. 

Of course we were in full party mode. But fans were getting disgruntled about the lack of coverage.

Edited by hippo

45 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

You go back further than I do sir. I remember Tommy Cummings , The Doc (Tommy Docherty)  and then winning the third division championship with Vic Crowe

I was taken to a match (by mum & dad) when I was four years old (70 years ago next year!). Don’t remember much other than we were sat in a ‘wooden stand’ which I presume was the old Trinity upper. Clear memories begin in about 1954/55 so, like you, I have seen many ups and downs - the obvious peak being the European Cup win! Having said that I am hugely exited by the combination of our ambitious owners together with the arrival of Steve Gerrard. Very refreshing for a cynical oldie like me. UTV

• Like 2

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

No doubt at all. At the risk of embarrassing my self further, Ted Lasso is???

Ted Lasso is an a award winning comedy about a young manager plucked from an obscure league ( American college system)to take over a Premier League football team.  Although he technically speaks English he does so in his own unique style (He's from Kansas) hence my lighthearted comparison to our situation.

It's nice to know where your heads at in regards to Americans though.     😀

Be curious , not judgemental.

Â