The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Welcome American friendo!

Its ok, use whatever words you want, but if you use words like "stud", you will quickly get these types of responses:

image.png.2b56e2b06c9973e56b7dc12e08455d18.png

(apologies, its our English humour...)

Haha thanks...  can you explain to me why that is?  Enlighten me on the English humor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

In his second season, they finished 13 points behind them, so it's not like they were consistently narrowing the gap. 

Then they won the league. They went the entire season unbeaten. They are currently top again. 

There are lots of potential reasons why you might not fancy him. His record in Scotland should not be one of them. 

3 minutes ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

Haha...  apologies.... as you can see I'm new here and an American...  if stud is an outlawed term I sincerely apologize and will make sure to choose my words better next time.

Welcome!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In retrospect Villa were just too nice and naive under Smith.

I'm hoping Gerrard (if he becomes Manager) will instill a little more defensive awareness, savvy and some nastiness where necessary.

We are been too easy to play against for so long...

I also like the fact every player now has to impress, there are no favourites which should mean everyone will up their game.

if we finally fix our midfield problem in January.....i'm gonna orgasm.

1 minute ago, robby b said:

I think it's a bit strange that he got off the train at the terminus, all the way down in London. He could have got off in Birmingham? 🤔

Purslow still lives in London, and I'm pretty sure Sawiris does for part of the year too.  Smith's interview 3 years ago was also done in London.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

I think it's a bit strange that he got off the train at the terminus, all the way down in London. He could have got off in Birmingham? 🤔

Maybe meeting some mates in London. Lost of people involved in football live in London. Even our owner, Nassef Sawiris lives in London :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

Haha thanks...  can you explain to me why that is?  Enlighten me on the English humor.

There was a (dreadful) series (and films??) back in the day called “Carry On [ ]” (so for example, Carry On Camping). It was filled with innuendo and that bloke in that photo was played by Kenneth Williams and would make that face and say “oh matron” if such an innuendo was said.

You’ll see it a lot on here. For example “Bailey keeps pulling out” or “Cash is putting his balls in too deep” would be met with the image of Kenneth Williams. 

It was well before my time but I think I got all that right??

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

oh yikes.....you could probably write a whole thesis on weird/quirky English humour.....

English humour is very sarcastic, self-deprecating or tongue in cheek, the Kenneth Williams Ooh Matron gif goes back decades, its like a camp/quirky response to sexual innuendo, for example:

• Like 1

I'm excited with the prospect of what he can bring, not only to the established players but to the youngsters in and around the 1st time, they maybe young but they will know all about him and how he played and what a player he was. 

I understand people's apprehensions with the choice of Gerrard, having read this topic it seems that people are only upset as Deano was one of us, I feel if deano wasn't one of us then his sacking wouldn't be a problem. 

For the doubters out there, if Gerrard was a former player or one of us, would you still be questioning his short managerial record, if you look at Deano's before he joined it was nothing special to right home about, regardless of us being in the championship at the time we were still a massive job and step up for him and a big risk also, but we gave him a chance, so I hope we give Gerrard or whoever the same chance, you never know we might be surprised. 

UTV 

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

There was a (dreadful) series (and films??) back in the day called “Carry On [ ]” (so for example, Carry On Camping). It was filled with innuendo and that bloke in that photo was played by Kenneth Williams and would make that face and say “oh matron” if such an innuendo was said.

You’ll see it a lot on here. For example “Bailey keeps pulling out” or “Cash is putting his balls in too deep” would be met with the image of Kenneth Williams. 

Haha, that's hilarious.  Thank you for the explanation.

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

excellent explanation!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Slightly concerned that supposedly his team do all the coaching.

Probably just naive of me and the footballing world.

In general I’m okay with the appointment.

He's admitted this himself, saying Mike Beale, is 20x the coach he will ever be. Supposed to be a top quality coach this dude, guess we will see in the next couple of weeks.

Former Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov has given Beale a glowing endorsement following the rumours that are circulating. He had this to say on Twitter: “I’ve came across Michael few times. Incredible coach and powerful communicator on and off the pitch.”

• Thanks 1