The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

A big advantage I see, is he ain't gonna take no shite from our players and install some well needed discipline. Heard he had to have a little chat to Alfredo Morelos, an since then his play has improved and gone from 5 red cards in season 18/19 to zero so far this season. If he can do this with Morelos known for having a bit of a temper, he ain't gonna have a problem with any of our lot.

19 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

We really need to give it a rest with the inexperienced nonsense. It doesn't stack up.

There are plenty of managers who've been successful with far less experience than SPL winner and Europa League experienced, Steven Gerrard.

Out of interest, could you name some of these managers?

Just now, VillanousOne said:

Your posts are appreciated, haters will hate, but most of it is just bants, try not to take it to heart.

Well haters shouldn’t be on here . I’m a villa fan just as much as everyone on here and because I can name the player it’s just blah blah . Guess that will never change

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

A big advantage I see, is he ain't gonna take no shite from our players and install some well needed discipline. Heard he had to have a little chat to Alfredo Morelos, an since then his play has improved and gone from 5 red cards in season 18/19 to zero so far this season. If he can do this with Morelos known for having a bit of a temper, he ain't gonna have a problem with any of our lot.

I dunno, Matty Targett has got a bit of a temper on him 😂

A decade or so ago I thought there was a clear line of excellent managers that went right down to terrible managers and that was that, but in the years since I've come to think that circumstances and context play a much much larger role. So many managers have done amazing things only for things to just completely fall apart at the same club (e.g. Smith), or done great jobs at one club, gone on to another and been crap, and then gone to a third club and been good again.

So even though he wouldn't be one of my top choices I wouldn't be surprised if he was a roaring success or an abject failure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I do get the impression he’s not too close to his players which is what you want i think. The perception was that Dean was too nice. It didn’t even feel natural or real when he hooked Mings two weeks ago. He didn’t have form for doing such. Gerrard has constantly dropped and recalled players at Rangers. He might dent a few egos here.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

We really need to give it a rest with the inexperienced nonsense. It doesn't stack up.

There are plenty of managers who've been successful with far less experience than SPL winner and Europa League experienced, Steven Gerrard.

Gerrard himself admits he’s inexperienced, and years behind coaches who retired young or didn’t have playing careers. It’s in his High Performance interview with Jake Humphrey that someone shared.

Personally I like the fact he seems to be very self-critical and have a good level of self-awareness.

I wonder if the fact he failed often as a player to win trophies means that he is more motivated than that generation of United and Chelsea players who won everything.

There was a bit of that with Zidane at Madrid. Obviously a much more successful player, but he’d gone through the Galacticos era of swapping Makelele (etc) for attacking stars. As a manager he put a lot into protecting that Makelele role.

Gerrard has possibly learned some similar lessons from his own playing career, of how clubs can fail to build on early success, sell the wrong players, and so on.

It’s a huge gamble, but I am warming to him as manager.

One thing, though - I hope we give him time. He will have a spell of bad results this season, at some point, and we have to stick with him unless it’s really gone tits up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I dunno, Matty Targett has got a bit of a temper on him 😂

So has Doris. One slight moan about her tea and she’ll be using her rolling pin as a tooth pick on him. No one messes with our Doris. 

7 minutes ago, ada86 said:

Well haters shouldn’t be on here . I’m a villa fan just as much as everyone on here and because I can name the player it’s just blah blah . Guess that will never change

Don’t worry too much about the player mate - contribute to the chats and you will find it a place full of humour and nice people - you are one of us mate 👍

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a roaring success or an abject failure.

🤣 Talk about playing it safe.  let me guess? It wont surprise you if villa win, draw or lose against Brighton? or if you win or lose the euromillion on friday? Or if tomorrow is light and dark? 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ada86 said:

Ye I’m done no more posting from me at all.Some people just like to take the mick . I posted in good faith some people been great but others not so much. I will be back when this person makes the team until then bye. 

Yeah, you keep saying that, but here you still are....