The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Benfica had 10 men for 71 minutes and even then Rangers threw away a 2 goal lead in the last 10 minutes 

Fair point. Maybe Villa should go for a Neil Warnock or Mick McCarthy. Guys of that ilk. Managers with tonnes of experience in England. They would be a safe pair of hands I suppose. Could probably throw Allardyce into that mix too. I think the focus is on Gerrard having no Premier League experience as manager and a rookie manager. The scrutiny he is under in Glasgow is so intense. He has come through it. He took over Rangers when they were a complete basket case of a club and they are flying. One trophy out of nine but the eye sees what the eye sees. I keep harping back to European games. They are a different animal now because of him and undoubtedly Gary Mac and Beale. A clear identity, a clear way of playing. I despise Rangers with a passion I have to add but I can’t help but admire how he has changed that club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wonder how many of the people who thought it was time for Smith to go would’ve had a different view if they knew Gerrard would be his replacement?  

I know the hardcore on here of Smith Out wouldn’t have changed their minds and if they did wouldn’t admit it but I reckon a lot of fans that were on the fence would be having doubts right about now re Smith leaving given his replacement is looking like Gerrard.  

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Nick, not often I disagree with you and feel the need to comment but the whole " Hardcore Smith Out". I think your fantasising mate. There has never been a hardcore element wanting Smith out. Many, including myself just came to the conclusion something needed changing. That's it. Most of us are a little gutted it didn't work out for Smith but we have to move on, and hopefully up. 

If it is Gerrard then yeah, I agree, underwhelming. However, there is no evidence to suggest he cannot improve this team. And if he or anyone else doesn't then they can also go. You are right, the grass isn't always greener but sometimes it is. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I warned about DS going for that very reason. The same people who purchased those players in the summer would be choosing our next manager .

Maybe NSWE should have sacked all the coaches and backroom staff and Purslow and let Dean run everything

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Nick, not often I disagree with you and feel the need to comment but the whole " Hardcore Smith Out". I think your fantasising mate. There has never been a hardcore element wanting Smith out. Many, including myself just came to the conclusion something needed changing. That's it. Most of us are a little gutted it didn't work out for Smith but we have to move on, and hopefully up. 

If it is Gerrard then yeah, I agree, underwhelming. However, there is no evidence to suggest he cannot improve this team. And if he or anyone else doesn't then they can also go. You are right, the grass isn't always greener but sometimes it is. 

That's not true. It's only a very small group granted, but there have been people calling for him to he sacked since he got the job.

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Sure, but basically our form has been mid table. This massive year long slump is a myth. We’ve beaten Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal, Everton and Leeds this year, amongst others.

I won’t have his narrative coming from our own fans that Smith’s Villa just fell off a cliff in 2021. It’s motivated reasoning (and yes, “revisionism”), mainly from people who never liked him in the first place.

I loved the guy, shook his hand and thanked him at Wembley. But our performances the last year have too often been poor, with a few exceptions. Generally, 5 straight defeats will do for any manager. He’s gone now, so academic anyway.

Edited by meregreen

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Now *this* is revisionism.

Here’s the actual table for 2021 calendar year: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/jahrestabelle/wettbewerb/GB1

We’re 14th.

But carry on lecturing people about revisionism 🙄

Look at the games played.

18 loses is the equal worst with Southampton over 30+ games, not good is it? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Come Steero,

You are showing revisionism here. We are clearly only the 4th worse team. Burnley, Newcastle and Saints are below us. Deano was doing a fantastic job this year keeping us out of the bottom 3 :)

I apologize, it turns out I cannot count. 

Either that, or I just bluntly refuse to still believe that Burnley are a current PL side. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

The worst league form for an entire calendar year suggests his opinion is relatively well founded. 

It was valid argument to have an opinion based on but still an opinion nonetheless.  

The first half of that season (last season) showed what he could, which is a lot higher than the mythical ceiling being portrayed.  Yes this last year has been poor but I believe there is context around it and he showed he can perform at a high level as shown in the first half of the season and he got us promoted, avoided relegation and still added 20 points to that points total which normal years would’ve got a top ten 10 finish.  Added to that he lost his world class talent, his coaching staff and the 3 new top summer signings have only been on the pitch together for a total 35 minutes…who knows what he could’ve done once he had them…even in the last game he had to put Young in midfield.  

See that is my opinion which some fans will disagree with and that’s fine but my opinion based on context is that he hadn’t hit his ceiling…issues, some in his control and many that were not, hindered him.  

We won’t agree I know and this thread isn’t here for this debate but it’s still opinions both of which can be deemed relatively well founded and likewise both sides can find big holes in each other’s argument.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wonder how many of the people who thought it was time for Smith to go would’ve had a different view if they knew Gerrard would be his replacement?  

I know the hardcore on here of Smith Out wouldn’t have changed their minds and if they did wouldn’t admit it but I reckon a lot of fans that were on the fence would be having doubts right about now re Smith leaving given his replacement is looking like Gerrard.  

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Obviously depends on their opinion of Gerrard but I’d assume everyone who was “Smith out” was for the reason of getting a better manager in, not just somebody who isn’t Smith.

I was sad to see him go and thought he should have been given till Christmas especially given Jack leaving and injuries etc. I thought he’d built enough credit in the bank for that. Was optimistic to see Favre/Potter in the initial shortlists but sacking Smith to roll the dice with Gerrard is madness to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Don't know much about Steevy G or Rangers but I like the following:

- Restored a great institution from laughing stock to league winners. Villa parallels.

- Invincible season - speaks for itself. Simple amazing really to achieve such sustained performance levels in any league.

- Handled a 'lively' fanbase under massive pressure. Villa will be the same.

- Demands high performance and commitment levels from players. For too long now we have had poor running stats and don't seem to work as hard as other teams. Hard work should be standard.

- Seems a bit of a bastard...in a good way. Off the back of the ever affable Dean Smith I think a more demanding ruthless coach not afraid to drop the big names will be an asset. For too long this season it felt like the formation was dictated by shoehorning big money signings into the squad and keeping players happy. Hopefully a hard nosed man with no prior relationships with the players can make an objective team selection.

-Likes a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1. Our squad is already geared up for this formation so it will help in the short term performance.     

- European experience. If Europe is the aim then it'll pay to have a manager that knows the logistics.

Would have liked more experience and experience in the English leagues but he still has some decent attributes.

This will get ripped to shreds now. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Ok, I felt there was a small but hardcore group that has been pushing for Smith out for a very long time.  I agree many weren’t in that category and as you say came to the conclusion it maybe time for a change, obviously I wasn’t one of them and debated respectfully with that group but there was definitely a hardcore group imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Ok, I felt there was a small but hardcore group that has been pushing for Smith out for a very long time.  I agree many weren’t in that category and as you say came to the conclusion it maybe time for a change, obviously I wasn’t one of them and debated respectfully with that group but there was definitely a hardcore group imo.

If they’re small, they’re irrelevant.

• Thanks 1