The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

30 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Question for the doubters. What would he need to do to win you over?

To completely win me over and me not have a nagging feeling about him not really wanting to be here and wanting to leave as soon as possible he'd have to go back in time and not say things like this about managing another club in our league who will have a managerial vacancy in a few years time at the latest.

“Would I love to be the coach of Liverpool one day? Is it a dream? Of course."

For me the bell can't be unrung and I'd always see his tenure as a short stop while he waits for the job he really wants. If he is appointed I will support him fully obviously (and pray the Beale hype is real) but it just won't be the same feeling as having someone in charge who is doing their dream job as well as taking us forward.

We've had it so good the last 3 years.

Edit - The middle ground of a manager like Favre who has no affinity to Villa or any other club in the league is far preferable to me.

Edited by YouUnastanFren
  • Like 3

Just now, KMitch said:

Or he could be John Carver...  Took over Newcastle when they were in 10th and did his best to nearly relegate them that season.  

Or he could be Steve Kean...  Took over Blackburn when they were mid-table from Fat Sam (anyone is an improvement on him, right?), and was one of the worst managers I can recall.

Or he could be Frank de Boer...  Another "winner" as a player, and even managed Ajax/Inter Milan before he went to Crystal Palace...  Didn't score a goal in their first 4 games under his watch, which led Mourinho to call him "the worst manager in the history of the Premier League".

Yes I understand that it can go either way. I understand the concepts of chance and risk. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Just now, KMitch said:

Or he could be John Carver...  Took over Newcastle when they were in 10th and did his best to nearly relegate them that season.  

Or he could be Steve Kean...  Took over Blackburn when they were mid-table from Fat Sam (anyone is an improvement on him, right?), and was one of the worst managers I can recall.

Or he could be Frank de Boer...  Another "winner" as a player, and even managed Ajax/Inter Milan before he went to Crystal Palace...  Didn't score a goal in their first 4 games under his watch, which led Mourinho to call him "the worst manager in the history of the Premier League".

I don't think anyone has disputed that. The one consistent message across this thread is that Gerrard would be a risk

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Things I'm not bothered by and could not care less about:

• The Liverpool connection
  • The media circus/speculation over his next job after Villa
  • The amount of compensation we'll end up paying to Rangers
  • What he did as a player or his personality on the field

Things that I am concerned about:

• His overall lack of experience as a manager (only ~3 years of experience)
  • Never had to manage a team in a bad run of form or having to turn around a team not meeting expectations
  • The huge step up to managing Villa from the SPL
  • The lack of evidence that he's an improvement on Smith
  • The missed opportunity of appointing a better manager and this may set us back another 2-3 years in our pursuit of European football

Just on the two points highlighted.

Rangers were a mess when he took over, by all accounts. Their expectations are far higher than ours and they were a long way from meeting them. So I don't think this is fair. 

The step from the SPL to the Premier League is one of my concerns also, as it would be with any manager coming from all but about 3 leagues. The standard is higher, but he will have higher standard players at his disposal, so this does provide some mitigation.

However, in terms of the size of club, Rangers are bigger than Aston Villa. That should not be underestimated here.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

36 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But it's glaringly obvious fans who didn't want Smith sacked either want a Klopp or GTFO. Like a world class manager are the only ones better than Smith.

Unfortunately aint happening.

So we get Gerrard…

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

For me the bell can't be unrung and I'd always see his tenure as a short stop while he waits for the job he really wants. If he is appointed I will support him fully obviously (and pray the Beale hype is real) but it just won't be the same feeling as having someone in charge who is doing their dream job as well as taking us forward.

Edit - The middle ground of a manager like Favre who has no affinity to Villa or any other club in the league is far preferable to me.

The thing with this position is the same with players getting slated for using a club as a 'stepping stone' is that unless you play or manage PSG / Real / Barca etc, every club is a stepping stone.

We really need to get rid of this mentality of expecting the manager to be committed life long to the Villa project, and see it in terms of 2-3 years per manager (if you are lucky), and hopefully have continual improvements as managers come and go.

That's what the CEO's job is isn't it? To oversee the transition between managers and keep some form of continuity of style.

I'm not convinced he will succeed, and would be happy to be proven wrong.

The whole Steve G's Aston Villa does annoy, but that is a minor concern in the long run.

Edited by Mister_a

31 minutes ago, jim said:

How about we wait and see how the new manager performs before writing them off as not an upgrade over Smith?

Like fans do for team selections before a match or fans giving views on potential player transfers.

14 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I think he was trying to say that at the time Saints fans didn't know that Poch was Poch 1.0 and considered him dogshit; thereby we don't know whether Gerrard is any good or not and all of this debate is moot. 

Then every debate is moot. We also don't know if Smith would've turn it around or not. No one knows the future, and Gerrard might be the next messiah. But with him having very little experience and having faced different types of challenges as a manager so far, appointing him would be a huge gamble, more so than many other candidates. That is true regardless of the outcome or wheter the Saints fans got it wrong in the past reg Poch.

If we wanted to go with a huge gamble at this point in time that gamble should've been that Smith has what it takes to turn this around. 

1 minute ago, trom_borg said:

Then every debate is moot. We also don't know if Smith would've turn it around or not. No one knows the future, and Gerrard might be the next messiah. But with him having very little experience and having faced different types of challenges as a manager so far, appointing him would be a huge gamble, more so than many other candidates. That is true regardless of the outcome or wheter the Saints fans got it wrong in the past reg Poch.

If we wanted to go with a huge gamble at this point in time that gamble should've been that Smith has what it takes to turn this around. 

The gamble is that Gerrard hasn't experience at this level and us unproven i.e. we do not know. With Deano we have had a year of very poor results and we are 11 games into a season and in relegation form. 

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Pretty sad that so many Villa fans on here are effectively saying that there is nothing Gerrard could do to win them over.

that'll all change if he wins games, thats all football ever is, the moaning doesnt stop it just slows down

• Like 1

Another point on Gerrard, he manages in a league where he should be beating every team every time, bar one (possibly three with Hibs & Hearts). In the PL, 14 or 15 teams would likely beat Celtic in most meetings. Gerrard hasn’t been tested like that at Rangers.

I’m in the camp that Purslow has wanted Gerrard for a while and he’ll own the outcome either way. We have to get behind whoever comes in, but if it goes wrong then Mr Purslow needs to GTFO.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

To completely win me over and me not have a nagging feeling about him not really wanting to be here and wanting to leave as soon as possible he'd have to go back in time and not say things like this about managing another club in our league who will have a managerial vacancy in a few years time at the latest.

“Would I love to be the coach of Liverpool one day? Is it a dream? Of course."

You think Favre wouldn't leave us for Liverpool if they offered him the role in 18 months time? 

• Like 1