The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Here’s a article about SG’s management, I found it interesting

Just quoted the first bit, but the rest is more interesting 

Interesting read. I like how he has used a 2nd striker as a wide forward who will move centrally allowing more space for an attacking midfielder or fullback to move into. I've said more than once I think this is best way to get most out of Ings and Watkins, we can have Buendia with them as a front three. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

ok fair point, but again, we have quite a few players who can play wide or in a 10, or a forward roaming position.

Im not saying Kent isnt good, or that he wouldnt be a nice addition, but in reality, most Villa fans will say that if we have 50m, or even 100m in Jan to spend, right now there are other critical areas we need to upgrade before any of the front players, thats all im saying.

Our squad is extremely top heavy right now when fit, up front (and in forward positions) we have Ings, Watkins, Traore, Bailey, Buendia, Bidace, as well as other players who could play a 10 or roaming role, where our midfield is quite a disaster right now and effectively made of paper mache, and even our defence is a bit ropey.

Yip, all fair points

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

If all we wanted was a “solid” manager or “safe pair of hands” then we may as well have gone for the likes of Hassenhuttl or Potter… but where is the ambition in any of that?

How can there be no ambition in appointing Gerrard when you say if we wanted a solid safe pair of hands we would go for Potter or Hasenhuttl. By not going for a safe pair of hands is by definition being ambitious. Yes it is a risk but it can't be claimed it isn't ambitious

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

It’ll be weird to have all the Sky cronies rooting for us because of their mate for a change, although if it doesn’t work out Sky will be blaming the club and ownership rather than their mate.

It will be Bruce all over, board could give him 200 million and he loses 10 in a row and gets off reputation free

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m sure we’re interested in him. But my fear is that we’ll put all our eggs in one basket just for him to finish the international break holding a Rangers scarf above his head and a big fat pay rise.

I actually like the idea of Gerrard but I hope we are still interviewing other candidates and not Roberto Martinez.

If we weren't looking at other managers then Gerrard would either be our manager now or he would have ruled himself out

3 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Surely that just means plenty of them have escaped from Glasgow. 

Rangers had approx 150,000 fans in Manchester and Celtic took approx 80,000 to 90,000 fans to Seville for their respective UEFA Cup Finals over the last few years. I don’t know many clubs that could match these numbers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

It will be Bruce all over, board could give him 200 million and he loses 10 in a row and gets off reputation free

Yep, we are the only ones going to suffer from this if it all goes wrong

4 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I like everything I heard here.  If that was my manager speaking I would be happy enough. Negatives, that accent is going to take some getting used to for me.

Yeah, got to like that. My favourite bit was the discussion on the use of subs. It was tactical. Christ, I have wanted to hear a Villa manager use subs like that for years. Normally it is just for fresh legs

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would happily take Santa as manager over Gerrard 😉

Agreed, Santa has vast experience, always delivers, great supporting staff, always makes me happy and most important has the beard which is key to any successful Villa icon.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think it will Sherwood all over again. Short term boost by getting everyone to run 100mph.

But as players leave and Gerrard bring his own players in I fear the worse.

Really hope I'm wrong but this has disaster written all over it for me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Interesting read. I like how he has used a 2nd striker as a wide forward who will move centrally allowing more space for an attacking midfielder or fullback to move into. I've said more than once I think this is best way to get most out of Ings and Watkins, we can have Buendia with them as a front three. 

What about Bailey? He is probably better all them!