The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/09/aston-villa-want-steven-gerrard-next-manager-plan-rangers-approach

I don't consider The Guardian a Clickbait publication to be honest.

There is way too much smoke and noise now.

This is like when Jack was leaving and we all rubbished it as media Bollox because we didn't want it to be true. Lol

I’m sure we’re interested in him. But my fear is that we’ll put all our eggs in one basket just for him to finish the international break holding a Rangers scarf above his head and a big fat pay rise.

I actually like the idea of Gerrard but I hope we are still interviewing other candidates and not Roberto Martinez.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Maybe, it will be Darren Bent all over again, no money for you MON….

Nee manager comes in and suddenly it’s a 24m striker through the door.

Bit different in that Lerner didn't know what the hell he was doing in general and changed his backing season to season. I think the current owners have backed Dean Smith to the hilt, I assume they will do the same for the next manager. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Little worried about the lack of experience with Gerrard and McAllister. If Gerrard had an experienced No2 it would be a little different, but he got McAllister his first job since Villa when he took him to Rangers (if you exclude the few months he was coach at Liverpool). 

Too much of this is the name in lights which can boost Villa's image and the existing relationship between Gerrard and Purslow. Still, on the positive side he's done a great job at Rangers and has over 3 full seasons there. We already have a quality squad and a player with his Gravitas could get the best out of the players we have.

I suspect Danks and MacPhee will stay in place for the remainder of the season at request of Lange. 

Look we're all going to get behind Gerrard, like we did JT who almost everyone hated as a player. 

• Like 1

Gerrard will have added pull too, which can give us an edge when convincing players to join Villa. Especially midfielders. As a player who wouldn't be excited to work with an all time great like Gerrard. I'd say McGinn, Ramsey, Chukwuemeka are buzzing if Gerrard is going to be coaching them about improving their game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I like everything I heard here.  If that was my manager speaking I would be happy enough. Negatives, that accent is going to take some getting used to for me.

They all sound good after a big win to be fair. How would he sound when really under pressure?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Little worried about the lack of experience with Gerrard and McAllister. If Gerrard had an experienced No2 it would be a little different, but he got McAllister his first job since Villa when he took him to Rangers (if you exclude the few months he was coach at Liverpool). 

Too much of this is the name in lights which can boost Villa's image and the existing relationship between Gerrard and Purslow. Still, on the positive side he's done a great job at Rangers and has over 3 full seasons there. We already have a quality squad and a player with his Gravitas could get the best out of the players we have.

I suspect Danks and MacPhee will stay in place for the remainder of the season at request of Lange. 

Look we're all going to get behind Gerrard, like we did JT who almost everyone hated as a player. 

Micheal Beale is a massive part of Gerards success and it will be important he comes with him.  

Really not sure what to make of this. Whilst I think Dean’s sacking was the right move, to go for a manager with even less experience in Gerrard is a massive gamble and quite an unusual move.

For a club that says it wants regular European football, I’d be expecting them to targeting managers like Ten Hag or Favre or Low. Instead they have identified Gerrard as the man to get it.

At Rangers he has won the title and gone undefeated all season, he has also done well in Europe, but he has never managed in a major European league before.

This could go either way. When West Ham appointed Moyes I wasn’t at all impressed and they are flying now. Similarly with Vieira at Palace. We have to hope Gerrard goes the same way.

The reported shortlist has been very underwhelming as a whole with Martinez (who’s been relegated) and Hussenhuttl (lost 9-0 twice at Southampton) on it.

Purslow had better get this right because he will anger a lot of fans if it goes wrong.

• Like 2

I really don't want Gerrard or McAllister if it comes to that, as it just seems more of the same that got us into trouble before 15/16. I'd rather have none of the back room staff that were around for the O'Neill stage onwards (yes, even Sid - although that's a different conversation). We are taking a step backwards into looking for a name rather than looking to be inventive and pushing on with exciting ideas and a manager that is a signal of intent. 

Gerrard is an open goal that could do for Purslow when we have the chance to really sell ourselves to some better, experienced, and successful managers. Gerrard has achieved nothing of note other than win a league when Celtic were struggling. If he wants to earn his spurs in the Prem then he needs to be moving to a Wolves or a Palace, not us. He may succeed he may not, be we need to look at elite level managers/coaches before we look at hollywood names.

I really am against his appointment and think it sends out all the wrong signals. I'm quite underwhelmed at best and disappointed at worst that this is the best Purslow can come up with.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Micheal Beale is a massive part of Gerards success and it will be important he comes with him.  

Having read about him now. I think he's key and will come with Gerrard. His experience with youth players will be so important for Villa

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Seriously, McAllister doesn’t lack experience.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Really not sure what to make of this. Whilst I think Dean’s sacking was the right move, to go for a manager with even less experience in Gerrard is a massive gamble and quite an unusual move.

For a club that says it wants regular European football, I’d be expecting them to targeting managers like Ten Hag or Favre or Low. Instead they have identified Gerrard as the man to get it.

At Rangers he has won the title and gone undefeated all season, he has also done well in Europe, but he has never managed in a major European league before.

This could go either way. When West Ham appointed Moyes I wasn’t at all impressed and they are flying now. Similarly with Vieira at Palace. We have to hope Gerrard goes the same way.

The reported shortlist has been very underwhelming as a whole with Martinez (who’s been relegated) and Hussenhuttl (lost 9-0 twice at Southampton) on it.

Purslow had better get this right because he will anger a lot of fans if it goes wrong.

I think this is all true. As fans we’re always bemoaning the fact that we never seem to be able to find a gem such as Poch when he arrived at Southampton. I know SG isn’t unknown, but his abilities as a PL manager are so in that respect he’s unknown. I was amazed when Southampton came up with Poch and thought they were crazy. It turned out that they’d done their research and thought he was worth the risk and it paid off. Whereas my extensive googling, not even that extensive as I didn’t really care about Southampton other than them being relegation rivals, wasn’t quite so good. 

The assumption that as a struggling PL team, that has only been back up for a couple of seasons and seems to have lost momentum,  should be able to chose from an array of managers from top European leagues is just plain daft. Yes we’re a big club with great facilities, a huge fan base and rich ambitious owners, but that’s just shows that we have potential and the reality is our choices are either fairly average managers or take a risk on potential. We seem to have chosen the latter, which I personally feel more excited about than any of the others on the list. 

• Like 3

Hmm, Gerrard as a manager seems OK.. the problem I have is I don’t think a club who has ambitions for Europe hires him and that’s probably the most disappointing matter here. That’s not to say I don’t think he can achieve it with us.. I think there are more experienced “better” managers around which is probably the safer option to take us to the next level. I think it’s fair to say the club probably isn’t looking at Europe anytime soon now which looking at the table you could argue is fair.. just hope we have a good season now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterw said:

I really don't want Gerrard or McAllister if it comes to that, as it just seems more of the same that got us into trouble before 15/16. I'd rather have none of the back room staff that were around for the O'Neill stage onwards (yes, even Sid - although that's a different conversation). We are taking a step backwards into looking for a name rather than looking to be inventive and pushing on with exciting ideas and a manager that is a signal of intent. 

Gerrard is an open goal that could do for Purslow when we have the chance to really sell ourselves to some better, experienced, and successful managers. Gerrard has achieved nothing of note other than win a league when Celtic were struggling. If he wants to earn his spurs in the Prem then he needs to be moving to a Wolves or a Palace, not us. He may succeed he may not, be we need to look at elite level managers/coaches before we look at hollywood names.

I really am against his appointment and think it sends out all the wrong signals. I'm quite underwhelmed at best and disappointed at worst that this is the best Purslow can come up with.

Edit - misread post

Here’s a article about SG’s management, I found it interesting

Steven Gerrard accepted a high-pressured position for his first as a manager when in 2018 he agreed terms with Rangers to succeed Pedro Caixinha. He has had an extremely positive first three years at Ibrox, leading Rangers to their first Scottish Premiership title in a decade in 2020/21. They did so not only toppling Celtic, but also going the entire league season unbeaten.

In Rafa Benítez, Roy Hodgson, Kenny Dalglish and Brendan Rodgers, there were plenty of high-quality managers for Gerrard to learn from during his playing days at Liverpool. Benítez noticed early in his reign that Gerrard had a particular interest in the tactical side of the game. “I started explaining the tactics I’d use at Liverpool,” the Spaniard once said of his former captain. “It was my first conversation with Steven, and it was all about tactics. Stevie was keen. It was at the beginning for us, when he didn’t need to do it.”

Just quoted the first bit, but the rest is more interesting