The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But you are only talking about the cause of problems for the last 11 games. I am referring to the last 3 years. And as for formation, we were nailed on as 433. We changed it for a couple of games when Heaton and Wes got injured on Jan 1st 2020 against Burnley and then about 6 or 7 games ago. 

There's different ways of playing 4-3-3, as I said... 4-1-4-1 is different from 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1, and a pure 4-3-3 is a bit different again, and you can play with natural or inverted wingers. Smith actually varied things a fair bit.

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Does anyone know if Gerrard ruled himself out of the Toon job, I do recall he commented on it and the media picked it up that he wasn't interested. There is deafening silence form him on the Villa job. If he wasn't interested I suspect we would have heard that he is very happy where he is etc

He was asked about it at the end of a post-match interview, he shot it down pretty quickly but that is pretty much it.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

It's not about sentiment, though. It's about this being a bad decision t hat doesn't take into account why we lost over half our games this year. 

And then someone will just step in and say "stop making excuses" as if there's no point in trying to understand why anything in this world happens. It's unhinged.

Smith would have turned things around (my guess would be another 11th/12th kind of finish), and then we could have had a proper conversation about progression in the spring/summer, when loads of top managers become available.

This is knee jerk, and the names we're being linked with prove that.

You're assuming that the CEO is standing on the outside looking in. He'll know what's going on, so maybe he's taken this decision precisely because he's seen why we've been losing over 50% of our games.

50% in a year. How long beyond a year would you give any other manager to turn things around? Imagine the atmosphere if we lost to Brighton with Smith in charge. We'd be looking back wondering why we didn't use the international break to get a new man in charge.

It's all fine margins and supposition, but that's what the CEO is paid to do.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

And if he gets us relegated in May as he is under qualified? Guy lost a title to Neil Lennon 😂

That's not the point I was making and to be honest, I couldn't care if he lost his car keys.

The point is, no matter what he achieved at Villa, you'll still find some unjustified reason to slag the guy off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It's not about sentiment, though. It's about this being a bad decision that doesn't take into account why we lost over half our games this year.

And then someone will just step in and say "stop making excuses" as if there's no point in trying to understand why anything in this world happens. It's unhinged.

Smith would have turned things around (my guess would be another 11th/12th kind of finish), and then we could have had a proper conversation about progression in the spring/summer, when loads of top managers become available.

This is knee jerk, and the names we're being linked with prove that.

You need to accept what’s done is done mate. The past week on this forum has been going round in circles with different opinions on why it was the right/wrong decision. How long do we continue to accept reasons for not winning games? Are we always going to have a fully fit squad? Dean may or may not have turned it around, but it was time for a change. We finished 11th last year with a fantastic first half of the season, nothing was pointing towards that happening again this year so 11th/12th was beginning to look very optimistic. Let’s see who gets the job. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I'm intrigued and excited by Gerrard. But if he wasn't Steven Gerrard, would we really be going for or getting excited about the manager of rangers? 

If he was someone we hadn't really heard of, and had the same managerial career as Gerrard, I doubt there would be many getting excited about it. 

So whilst I'm intrigued and excited by the prospect, is being Steven Gerrard enough? 

See I actually thought the opposite, would we be more up for it if it wasn’t an ex Liverpool player who had done the same job at Rangers?

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

You're assuming that the CEO is standing on the outside looking in. He'll know what's going on, so maybe he's taken this decision precisely because he's seen why we've been losing over 50% of our games.

50% in a year. How long beyond a year would you give any other manager to turn things around? Imagine the atmosphere if we lost to Brighton with Smith in charge. We'd be looking back wondering why we didn't use the international break to get a new man in charge.

It's all fine margins and supposition, but that's what the CEO is paid to do.

Fair enough, and if the CEO has reason to believe either the coaching staff or some of the key players have lost faith in the coach (or aren't progressing as expected), then there may be additional explanations there.

My worry is that seeing what's wrong with something is usually a lot easier than seeing what is being done well. We won't really notice the latter until a new manager comes in and starts doing worse than Smith in a particular area.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You need to accept what’s done is done mate. The past week on this forum has been going round in circles with different opinions on why it was the right/wrong decision. How long do we continue to accept reasons for not winning games? Are we always going to have a fully fit squad? Dean may or may not have turned it around, but it was time for a change. We finished 11th last year with a fantastic first half of the season, nothing was pointing towards that happening again this year so 11th/12th was beginning to look very optimistic. Let’s see who gets the job. 

Smexit means Smexit, I know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I was replying to a post that Gerrard could get us into Europe then leave for Liverpool mate 

I was agreeing 100%, people worried he'll get us into europe and then do one are missing the point, the real risk is him failing and us being in the championship again

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Ridiculous. What recently promoted club has ever achieved continuous improvement? You get setbacks along the way, you learn from them, you stabilise, and you then look to the next plateau. It takes time, and patience. 

We're heading back to the Doug Ellis three-year cycle at this rate. 

I wouldn't be using that as a yard stick for your point.

prior to Xia, we had some years of very good results.....2nd finishes, 6-6-6 finishes, Euro cup wins ( under Bendall) cup final wins with little and Atkinson....er No, it wasn't all bad at all.....and after 3 years ,you can usually see the direction of travel, its a fair period to judge.

You, need to study the results sequences over any period you choose to see why Dean left.....The romanticism, was great, I agree, but the practicality of him staying was not so clear at all.

I feel annoyed that some folk are using the fans "never turned toxic" argument, as we have to wait for that, before a manager is released, that was the old regime, that was the bad management aspect...We have owners now who believe in a "stich in time saves nine".

They see a crack, they repair it before it becomes a hole.....I think the mood towards the hierarchy is disappointing, Deans results gave them no choice. He is reported as saying himself, those results couldn't go on.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Just now, KentVillan said:

Fair enough, and if the CEO has reason to believe either the coaching staff or some of the key players have lost faith in the coach (or aren't progressing as expected), then there may be additional explanations there.

My worry is that seeing what's wrong with something is usually a lot easier than seeing what is being done well. We won't really notice the latter until a new manager comes in and starts doing worse than Smith in a particular area.

They won't have done this lightly, especially given the fact that he has such a strong bond with the fans, seems well liked within the club, and they previously stuck by him when we were very close to being relegated again. 

I hope that having taken the measured approach to change the manager, they won't similarly skimp on the new appointment. I would bet the new many gets a decent budget in January too.

3 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

See I actually thought the opposite, would we be more up for it if it wasn’t an ex Liverpool player who had done the same job at Rangers?

I can't imagine we would. Is any success in Scotland really that impressive with either club? 

If he wasn't Gerrard, I doubt his name would be linked with so many clubs. 

One common theme after speaking to people who know Scottish football better than me is that Stevie G throws his players publicly under the bus. He does that shit here and he’ll be long gone. The Egos are way higher in the premier league too.

he’ll have to be a lot more tactful than he currently is. 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

the practicality of him staying was not so clear

I dunno, in his LMA statement he says that only now would he have got his best players fit and that he thought he would have achieved a top half finish. I think he coudl have done it too to be honest.

• Like 1