The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Gerrard has never been involved in a relegation battle in his career and also has no idea to build a defence. His right back at Rangers averages 10 goals a season and couldn't get a game in Newcastle 

Again, not advocating for Steven Gerrard here, but could that not be down to the coaching and the system? 

Also, who was the manager at Newcastle? 🤔😏

6 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Average team.  Rangers threw the kitchen sink to stop 10 in a row and posted 23m in loses on Friday because of it. 

Gerard may or may not be a good manager but he has proven very little.  Id rather we go with alot more experience than taking this gamble 

I wouldn't say kitchen sink. It would be fair to say he has proven more than you realise.

Sticking with the transfers and money etc.

He spent around £1.2m this season, roughly £9m last season, 10m the 19/20 season and roughly £7m when he arrived in 18/19.

The 5-6 players he has invested those funds on over the last few seasons have turned out to be pivotal to them, whilst some are ones for the future. The majority of his signings have been loans and free transfers.

£27m in four seasons to build a whole entire team, stop your main rivals achieving a major milestone and reach the last 16 of Europa league along the way is astonishing, no matter what league it is.

I don't know what more could be asked of a manager in that position given the success he has delivered.

22 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

In defence of Potter, that win rate doesn't tell the whole story. His loss % at Brighton (36%) is better than Smith's at Villa (40%) so if we are wanting someone to stop a run of defeats he looks a pretty good option. Their issue has been scoring, meaning a lot of draws, but XG tables suggest that's not because they haven't created chances, with them being 13th in 19/20 (15th in actual table) and 5th in 20/21 (16th in actual table). So far this season they are 7th with only 2 defeats, though weirdly are now overperforming XG which would have them 11th in the table.

Hassenhuttl I'm less fussed on, but tbf his win rate is better than I thought given that, like Smith, his Southampton team seem to have had terrible luck with injuries this year. Still, he doesn't feel like an upgrade on Smith.

Good analysis of the data. Thx for posting

55 minutes ago, lexicon said:

They had years in the league before us and were already established. It's facile to compare net spends because a large chunk of what we spent was on rebuilding the squad from almost nothing. 

In any case, they still haven't proved themselves. 

Every single player in our first XI is more expensive than their counterpart in the Brighton or Southampton team.

It’s “facile” just to look at their win rate like you did and ignore the constraints within the clubs they’re operating.

I’m not sure we even massively disagree. I’m not enamoured with any of the options. Obviously I’d prefer Simeone or Ten Haag, it’s just cuckoo land. I think these two are the best of the ‘realistic target’ bunch.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I thought on results he had to go.

The question for me is was he hung out to dry ? - his coaching team dismantled - and players purchased in positions we didn't need - and seem to be plagued by Injury. 

He lost 5 games after beating man u,  away. Half the team caught COVID early this year , we lost our best player in the summer. He deserved more time .

Let's see who's the next manager, I expected an almost immediate appointment and it doesn't look like we have anyone in the wings. If it's picked from the list I have seen , with Gerrard favourite , then we are in trouble .

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I love how everyone is turning their nose up at Gerrard. He’s probably turning his nose up at us.

Thank **** if he is. Rather the rocket polisher wasnt associated with Villa

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Average team.  Rangers threw the kitchen sink to stop 10 in a row and posted 23m in loses on Friday because of it.  On top of that Celtic sold anything of value that wasn’t nailed down and had an idiot as Lennon at the helm.  

Gerard may or may not be a good manager but he has proven very little.  Id rather we go with alot more experience than taking this gamble 

Completely agree.  I have no problem with Gerrard as a player unlike some but from a manager point of view, it's too early, he has had a soft job up there in Scotland (yes I understand the Celtic dominance but that's the only competition and HeyAnty covers some the additional things that made it easier for him).  Surely we are way beyond taking such a risk on an inexperienced manager, who is an unknown quality really and is getting a leg up because of his name as a player.  He may turn out to be a great manager one day but I think we are better than a guinea pig test case for this league.  If he ends up being our manager I will support him 100% obviously but at this stage, I am dead against it and if we do go ahead with him it means imo that we arent as ambitious as we thought or were told we were going to be and midtable is our level.

• Like 2

So Danny Murphy claims that " The ceiling of expectation at Aston Villa is low, and wouldn't meet Gerrard's ambitions " etc.

Let's hope Gerrard thinks he's a prick as well.

Does anyone have background as to why Murphy hates us so much?

I actually used to like him as a player.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Again, not advocating for Steven Gerrard here, but could that not be down to the coaching and the system? 

Also, who was the manager at Newcastle? 🤔😏

It was Pardiola but in his defence Tavernier wasn't getting games on loan in League 1 at the time 

3 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Every single player in our first XI is more expensive than their counterpart in the Brighton or Southampton team.

It’s “facile” just to look at their win rate like you did and ignore the constraints within the clubs they’re operating.

I’m not sure we even massively disagree. I’m not enamoured with any of the options. Obviously I’d prefer Simeone or Ten Haag, it’s just cuckoo land. I think these two are the best of the ‘realistic target’ bunch.

Brighton centre midfield at the weekend cost 29 million, ours 10 million 

23 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Which one was that, the team 10 years ago or the team 15 years ago?

In Denmark. 

That is not proving yourself at the standard we require. 

Ok, just for a comparison, I see a lot of people wanting Graham Potter, who has done nothing with Brighton and before that proving himselft in the second best division in Sweden whereas Hjulmand won the title in Denmark in a 3 horse race, NOT managing one of the 3.

In the second period with FC Nordsjælland, unfortunately FC Copenhagen and FC Midtjylland had become a lot stronger and there was not much he could do. He is still a really good manager to get the best out of young players. As of now, managing Denmark, we had good European competition and so far the best team in Europe if you look a the qualification games, we have played 8 games, won all 8 and have a goalscore of 27-0

• Like 1