The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, Philosopher said:

Could you imagine if he signed Ben Mee for Villa?

And then Wesley comes back from loan..

Eugh.

Dyche is a fairly skilled manager of the "kick and chase" school of football, but he's a **** scumbag.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I absolutely agree, I respect him for what he's done there, and it's the best managereial appointment Burnley could ever hope for. I hate the "The spurs way" bullshit of mediocre teams expecting scintilating football, but I've only just recovered from Bruce, and they're in the same Brexit-ball camp, I don't think I could take it.

Maybe I'm being unfair and with a bigger club and more resources, he'd push on and be more progressive, but I really doubt he'd do anything other than buy more expensive thugs. 

His football has same type of ceiling as MON and in these times harder to crack top 6 aswell. I think he'd get us up to 8-10th fairly quickly but we wouldn't go any higher than that and obviously these owners want a bit more and so I expect an appointment to reflect that.

His cup record is also really poor. Can't remember Burnley having any sort of cup run in either competition since they came up compared to many other lower clubs and what we did in 19/20.

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

I wonder if Nuno getting the sack has  changed the boards mind? Weren't we linked to him in the summer?

I think most would have taken him based on his CV up to leaving Wolves.

I have a feeling we'll try to go big here and end up with a 3rd or 4th choice

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I hope so son. In life we should always aim really really high then we won't be disappointed with what we get 😄

2 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Great advice, thanks dad!

Quite brilliant. You 2 should have your own show!! 😀

I really think if we were approaching a manager at another club - we would have left Shakespeare to be caretaker boss in case the negotiations dragged on.

So my betting slip would be:- 

Fonseca 

Nuno 

Terry 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Would Gerrard be the most unpopular appointment since McLeish ?

Surely CP and Gerrard himself would have got wind of that. ?

Why would Gerrard be such an unpopular appointment exactly?

53 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I strongly disagree here, I’m a big fan of Jose but he’s nowhere near the levels be once was. If I could have my pick of managers he wouldn’t be near top 5. 

Still be the biggest manager we've had. He might not be flavour of the month but give it time.

One of my biggest gripes with successive boards/owners, even those willing to spend money. No ambition to bring in a World Class Manager. Mourinho is still WC. Won more in a couple of decades than our club has in 100 years. Let that sink in. Also, imo not just Mourinho but the level of manager will be the benchmark for the players.  

35 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Very worrying that the leading candidate is not obvious. At the relevant moments: Deano was an inspired choice, O'Neill was a present surprise, Lambert was clear cut. Now, we are hoping for the miraculous permutation manager, who understands the league & the players & the club & the city. I reckon, that leads either to Nuno or a wildcard like the Dane. Not any ex CFC nor LFC wannabes.

MON was a fairly miraculous moment to be fair. You can debate on how we did with him but that moment he came in for the presser was a big surprise and a great moment at a previously fairly worrying time having been linked to some awful managers.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be dead against Gerrard personally when looking at the list of names in the running in the bookies.

Granted the Scottish league is levels below but he's done a fantastic job both domestically and in Europe.

He certainly wasn't the first name I had in mind but when looking at who's available/who we realistically have a chance of getting he's miles ahead of Lampard, Terry and some of the others I've seen mentioned.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Maybe - but he would be walking into a fire pit on so many levels

I’d admire him for that. Could be career suicide yet he would accept the challenge.  As mentioned by others he blows it and he can kiss goodbye to ever managing Liverpool. 

Yes he’s a bit of a word removed but seriously who gives a shit? It’s not like we’re going to hang out with him. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

I’m probably late to the party on this one, but the comments from Purslow as part of the announcement are worrying, particularly the bit where he says something along the lines of taking the international break to BEGIN the process of finding a replacement… assuming that is just a generic statement rather than the actual truth? 

Edited by Tayls

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Still be the biggest manager we've had. He might not be flavour of the month but give it time.

One of my biggest gripes with successive boards/owners, even those willing to spend money. No ambition to bring in a World Class Manager. Mourinho is still WC. Won more in a couple of decades than our club has in 100 years. Let that sink in. Also, imo not just Mourinho but the level of manager will be the benchmark for the players.  

No doubt about it mate I would love it, but it would be short lived. Roma have played 12 this season, won 6 drew 1 lost 5. He won’t be at Roma for long. Has last 3 appointments have shown that things always take a turn, I’d give him two seasons and I’ll be surprised if he’s still at Roma. Spurs had the same idea when bringing him in, the Amazon documentary was a brilliant watch largely down to Jose. 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

I’m probably late to the party on this one, but the comments from Purslow as part of the announcement are worrying, particularly the bit where he says something along the lines of taking the international break to BEGIN the process of finding a replacement… assuming that is just a generic statement rather than the actual truth? 

Purslow didn't say that. It was a line about actively searching for a replacement on the OS. In reality, informal processes become formal now the change has been made.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

His football has same type of ceiling as MON and in these times harder to crack top 6 aswell. I think he'd get us up to 8-10th fairly quickly but we wouldn't go any higher than that and obviously these owners want a bit more and so I expect an appointment to reflect that.

His cup record is also really poor. Can't remember Burnley having any sort of cup run in either competition since they came up compared to many other lower clubs and what we did in 19/20.

Dyche doesn't care about the cups. He just keeps them in the Premier League every year