Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

Well that Burnley result has effectively killed our draw against Leicester & means the gap is now only 6 points and they have to play us twice plus have the easier fixtures either side of that. Our season appears to be resting on a double header with a rejuvenated Burnley who are up for a real scrap as i can see them getting the other 6 points they need more than I can see us getting 6 from our other fixtures. We really need an Everton loss today as it's looking like a nasty end to the season with us having Liverpool & Man City so effectively two games (Norwich & Palace) to escape a shootout with Burnley.

• Like 1

Not sure we'd go down even if we lost every game, as can't see Everton getting the nine points they'd need to catch us.

Not sure why people are talking as if the last place is between us and Burnley, win just one of our two games in hand over Southampton and Brentford and we would go above those two, win two of our games in and we'd go above Brighton and Newcastle.

We won't be relegated, likely nowhere near it, table looks distorted at the moment because of the different amount of games different teams have played. We're more likely to finish in the top ten than we are to go down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

It's embarrassing to be in this situation given the level of investment made.

Piss poor from top to bottom. Such a let down of a season.

You can thank Purslow for that. Had we just used the Grealish money on a DM and left winger, Smith might still be manager and we'd already be safe. Amateur move to sign Ings, in particular. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

You can thank Purslow for that. Had we just used the Grealish money on a DM and left winger, Smith might still be manager and we'd already be safe. Amateur move to sign Ings, in particular. 

City bruised his ego and he wanted to act big man. I would be shocked if Lange or Smith even knew about it

Replacing Smith backroom team also didnt help our shoddy pre season 

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Every signing made after Grealish was a massive panic.

So naive from the management team to not have a plan for him leaving. They said themselves they didn't believe the clause would be met. It was. They were caught out and signed 3 players, that you could argue were bad ideas in their own ways .

We keep throwing money at it and we are not even going forwards. Teams like Brighton and Southampton are outperforming us on a fraction of our budget. It's getting tiresome now. And I bet we do the same again this summer.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

City bruised his ego and he wanted to act big man. I would be shocked if Lange or Smith even knew about it

Replacing Smith backroom team also didnt help our shoddy pre season 

Would love to know the full story behind Terry and Kelly departing so suddenly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Every signing made after Grealish was a massive panic.

So naive from the management team to not have a plan for him leaving. They said themselves they didn't believe the clause would be met. It was. They were caught out and signed 3 players, that you could argue were bad ideas in their own ways .

We keep throwing money at it and we are not even going forwards. Teams like Brighton and Southampton are outperforming us on a fraction of our budget. It's getting tiresome now. And I bet we do the same again this summer.

I think thats on Grealish as well. Surely he would have known City were going to pay it to give some notice

Im sure Buendia was signed before the Euros so that was planned 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think thats on Grealish as well. Surely he would have known City were going to pay it to give some notice

Im sure Buendia was signed before the Euros so that was planned 

You are correct regarding Buendia. I got that wrong but on general my point stands re Ings and Bailey etc

Strictly speaking I believe both Ings and Bailey were signed before Grealish joined City.

Ok, the writing was on the wall when Ings was announced, that’s probably fair to say. But I distinctly remember Bailey’s dad was fielding questions about whether Grealish was going to stay when he did that broadcast. 

Tbh Bailey only looks an odd signing in hindsight because of his fitness issues, subsequent lack of form and us changing to a manager who doesn't play with wingers.

While we've needed a DM for a while, we also lacked a bit of pace in the side last year which I think Bailey was intended to address. I reckon the plan was Buendia on the right, Bailey on the left and Grealish moving into the middle with Watkins up front - and on paper last summer that will have looked a very strong front four.

It's only Ings which seems to have been a bit of a panic buy

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I was laughing at Everton dropping into the relegation zone but then I saw we’re only 7 points clear 😳

Win the next 2 games we have in hand and we could be back to 9th though 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's definitely too close for comfort but I think the table is a bit deceptive. Brighton, Southampton, Brentford, Palace and us are all very bunched up at the moment.

They’re all capable of winning games though, whereas we are no longer able to do such things.