Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

We are a mid table club at present with aspirational owners who have experience in developing a team in another sport. Sadly we have fans who don’t have the patience for that, they demand instant success, if that’s not going to happen sack the manager and spend another fortune on players who are supposed to be good because they are ‘names’, we have bought a few recently who sadly don’t appear to be players. Hopefully it’s only a rumour but we could be about to pay way over the odds for a very ordinary player in Bissouma, based on the the fact that he is big and strong.

We will not be relegated, we will not get into Europe sadly too many of our fans would be happier if we achieved the former, plenty to moan about.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, smg said:

We are a mid table club at present with aspirational owners who have experience in developing a team in another sport. Sadly we have fans who don’t have the patience for that, they demand instant success, if that’s not going to happen sack the manager and spend another fortune on players who are supposed to be good because they are ‘names’, we have bought a few recently who sadly don’t appear to be players. Hopefully it’s only a rumour but we could be about to pay way over the odds for a very ordinary player in Bissouma, based on the the fact that he is big and strong.

We will not be relegated, we will not get into Europe sadly too many of our fans would be happier if we achieved the former, plenty to moan about.

You haven’t described Bissouma there. Look up his stats vs spurs yesterday, that’s why he’s rated. 

£1k says we get 5+ more points this season. there are one or 2 on here so convinced we're in big trouble this season who i'm sure would be happy to take that bet. even money. DM me

In the last 10 years only 2 teams have been relegated with 36 points or more. 

We are fine but it has been a poor season and their is definitely questions to be asked about Gerrards tactics for next season.

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's just been a really shit year, hasn't it, from some initial optimism about us continuing onwards and upwards with an improved team, to the transfer saga last summer, to the poor start and Smith going, signalling the end of an exciting era for the club, our summer business turning out to be shite, and various mental collapses along the way to us looking nailed on to finish lower than we did last season.

There's a big job on the club's hands to get some enthusiasm going for all things Villa again.

Its probably been our worst season since the relegation season. Its hard to think of too many memorable moments. Winning at Old Trafford was probably the season highlight 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its probably been our worst season since the relegation season. Its hard to think of too many memorable moments. Winning at Old Trafford was probably the season highlight 

Worse than the first season back. I know we got to a cup final but we were so close to going straight back down. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Worse than the first season back. I know we got to a cup final but we were so close to going straight back down. 

What did you expect from the first season back? We signed 14 new players and staying up was the key

Everybody knew it would be a relegation battle

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I’m not surprised. We’ve got the same CB pairing, and 2 of the same starting CM’s, from that first season back in the PL.

We have not improved in those 2 crucial areas in something like 5 transfer windows. Our recruitment has been atrocious at times in terms of squad building.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MCU said:

We've done everything except look at the spine of the team which evidently are the positions we need to replace.

Since promotion we have signed 5 full backs if you include Young and I think 5 wide players

I'd say we've been safe for a while.  The only one of the bottom three with any chance of catching us is Burnley and they would have to make up 11 points over the last 7 games, plus a goal difference deficit of 15.  So a minimum 3 wins and two draws with us getting nothing.   

That perhaps becomes a little less unlikely when you consider they play us twice.  Win both of those 2-0 and it gives them two of the three wins they need and they catch up 8 on the goal difference, +4 for them, -4 for us.   Even then they would need to make up a further 5 points and seven goals gain in the remaining 5 fixtures, with us getting nothing.  Unprecedented and unlikely I would say,  and even then, Everton would need to catch us as well, making up 8 points and 15 goals in the process over their 8 remaining games.   

Despite this I still think Gerrard has under-performed badly with the squad he inherited plus Digne, Chambers and Coutinho.  I think it's a it's a squad well capable of top ten and he's failing at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m not surprised. We’ve got the same CB pairing, and 2 of the same starting CM’s, from that first season back in the PL.

We have not improved in those 2 crucial areas in something like 5 transfer windows. Our recruitment has been atrocious at times in terms of squad building.

The midfield is indefensible, IMO, but before Konsa's recent disastrous run of form, I doubt many people would have thought upgrading our centrebacks needed to be a priority

With the dodgiest methodology, I'd like to propose the following; assign each player a position in the league based on their level. So if you think a player is the best in the league, you may rank them 1, if you think they're pretty good and capable of Champions League then anything from 2 to 4etc etc. Then work out the average of the squad. If you don't think they're good enough for the Premier League, give them 20.

So, based on the squad in our last fixture;

Martinez 4

Cash 7 Konsa 12 Mings 14 Digne 7

McGinn 10 Luiz 14 Ramsey 7

Coutinho 7

Ings 17 Watkins 8

Sanson 14 Buendia 8 Traore 17 Chambers 16 Young 20, Nakamba 12, Olsen N/A, Bailey 17, Chukwuemeka 13

= 224. Divide that by 19 players (omit GK) and that averages this squad as being 11.8th in the league based on ability in my estimation.

Which means we're currently underperforming in my opinion, but that are ceiling isn't even top half anyway.

2 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

With the dodgiest methodology, I'd like to propose the following; assign each player a position in the league based on their level. So if you think a player is the best in the league, you may rank them 1, if you think they're pretty good and capable of Champions League then anything from 2 to 4etc etc. Then work out the average of the squad. If you don't think they're good enough for the Premier League, give them 20.

So, based on the squad in our last fixture;

Martinez 4

Cash 7 Konsa 12 Mings 14 Digne 7

McGinn 10 Luiz 14 Ramsey 7

Coutinho 7

Ings 17 Watkins 8

Sanson 14 Buendia 8 Traore 17 Chambers 16 Young 20, Nakamba 12, Olsen N/A, Bailey 17, Chukwuemeka 13

= 224. Divide that by 19 players (omit GK) and that averages this squad as being 11.8th in the league based on ability in my estimation.

Which means we're currently underperforming in my opinion, but that are ceiling isn't even top half anyway.

That's despite under-rating some of our players. Bailey, Traore, Mings, Luiz and Ings for example though it does slightly balance by overrating McGinn and Digne 

Just now, Zatman said:

That's despite under-rating some of our players. Bailey, Traore, Mings, Luiz and Ings for example though it does slightly balance by overrating McGinn and Digne 

All about opinions, and done off the cuff without any great analysis - just gut. Bailey and Traore would be a useful sub for a lower league team. They're miles off top half. Same with Ings, he's well past his best and would be an asset to a team fighting relegation. Mings has reputation but no consistency... why is he never being courted by other teams like McGinn and Konsa and Cash have?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

All about opinions, and done off the cuff without any great analysis - just gut. Bailey and Traore would be a useful sub for a lower league team. They're miles off top half. Same with Ings, he's well past his best and would be an asset to a team fighting relegation. Mings has reputation but no consistency... why is he never being courted by other teams like McGinn and Konsa and Cash have?

Bailey was close to joining Chelsea for a huge fee before they signed Pulisic. He would be a top 10 player in a Premier League team with wide players. Kulusevski and Bailey are no different in terms of talent. One just has a good manager 

Traore also would shine in a wide team like he did last season 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

The wins against Everton (3-0), Brighton (2-0), Southampton (4-0) and at Leeds (3-0), were also deserving of an honourable mention, in my opinion.  

• Like 1