January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Not sure how I feel about Coutinho. With the right motivation he could find some form again but I've watched a couple of games since his Barca disaster and honestly he's barely a quarter of the player he was for Liverpool. 

Everything flowed through him at Liverpool, very much how Grealish operated for us, and just look at how differently he's performing at Man City this season.  Now imagine if Man City started selling off their best players, swapped Pep for Southgate, and told Grealish he needs to completely change his game and try to be Mason Mount in order to get into the team...  It's a bit like what Coutinho has had to deal with at Barcelona.  

He was fantastic at Bayern 2 years ago, so I have complete faith that Gerrard will get his desire and hunger back, as well to play to his strengths.  Coutinho would be the biggest meltdown signing in the history of Aston Villa and could arguably end up being our Robinho and signal the beginning of a dramatic shift in quality of players we're able to recruit to the team.

• Thanks 1

Personally think Coutinho would be a pretty bad signing, with the only hope being that Gerrard can get something out of him due to their previous connection.

He's been at Barca for four years now and been rubbish for all but the first 6 months. His time at Bayern might show there's still a good player in him, but not sure that will outweigh the poor performances at Barca.

I hope I'm wrong if this goes through, but it just feels like we're going for a name without considering why we're able to get said name.

Don't see the point of Coutinho signing in the respect that: 

We are probably not going down or getting Europe

So therefore unless we have an optional agreed fee at the end of  a potential loan, he performs, wouldn't we just be spending quite a bit of for not any meaningful return?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pissflaps said:

Don't see the point of Coutinho signing in the respect that: 

We are probably not going down or getting Europe

So therefore unless we have an optional agreed fee at the end of  a potential loan, he performs, wouldn't we just be spending quite a bit of for not any meaningful return?

From a fan perspective, having Coutinho in our squad would make our games a bit more interesting at least. 

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Coutinho on loan makes a lot of sense - it gives Barca a chance to get some of his wages off their fetid balance sheet and put him in the shop window and it gives us a natural second number ten to play next to Buendia and the chance to have a look at him and see if he's still got the ability and desire to play in this league. 

A front three of:

----------------------------Watkins/Ings------------------------------

-------------Coutinho------------------Buendia--------------------

Would be capable of beautiful things.

Doubtful it happens but just for the fact that the sky transfer show pundits were laughing at the very suggestion,.I hope it does.

• Like 1

Does anyone understand how Barca's new wage restrictions work? I'm interested if we could work out what we'd need to pay Barca for them to be allowed Torres. Would obviously have to assume Torres wage.

During the Messi saga they were saying because his contract expired they couldn't resign him at all. I think it was something like they could replace 'reduced' wages with half the figure so if they'd sold Messi in Jan they would have had loads more wiggle room. No idea at all on transfer fee restrictions, but considering they've taken yet another loan to sign Torres I'm assuming there are none.

Although pretty unexciting, I'd take a gamble on Coutinho for a couple hundred grand a week. He doesn't need to be at his peak to be good in this system. 

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Does anyone understand how Barca's new wage restrictions work? I'm interested if we could work out what we'd need to pay Barca for them to be allowed Torres. Would obviously have to assume Torres wage.

During the Messi saga they were saying because his contract expired they couldn't resign him at all. I think it was something like they could replace 'reduced' wages with half the figure so if they'd sold Messi in Jan they would have had loads more wiggle room. No idea at all on transfer fee restrictions, but considering they've taken yet another loan to sign Torres I'm assuming there are none.

Although pretty unexciting, I'd take a gamble on Coutinho for a couple hundred grand a week. He doesn't need to be at his peak to be good in this system. 

They are trying to shift Umtiti as well. I think if you are over the limit then only 25 of money recouped can go towards new players. If Torres on 100k a week they need to recoup 400k. 

They also moving on a couple of youngsters and terminated a players contract. 

Edited by pas5898

1 minute ago, villanmac said:

People turning their noses up at Phillipe Coutinho for 6 months, jesus christ 😄

Have you watched him play much since he left the PL? If not, the scorn makes about as much sense as laughing at someone wanting to sign Carlos Tevez.

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

It's a 70% of total club revenue thing from La Liga.

Coutinho is on £380k/w. Which kinda raises the question how much of that would we be willing to pay. Anything more than 30% makes him the highest paid player at the club.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Have you watched him play much since he left the PL? If not, the scorn makes about as much sense as laughing at someone wanting to sign Carlos Tevez.

Yeah... I watched him for Bayern on loan 2 seasons ago...  He was fantastic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villanmac said:

People turning their noses up at Phillipe Coutinho for 6 months, jesus christ 😄

I was watching Danny Drinkwater wobble around midfield just over a year ago. 

Coutinho is the second coming of Jesus Christ in comparison. 

• Like 1