January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Surely this isn't true. What club would buy a player based on his social media numbers alone??

No one would, but if you were interested in the player and thinking about spending £6m on a winger, you might look at Trezeguet and think that even though Villa want £10m for him it might be worth it because you'll make most of that difference back on exposure and merchandising.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there an overhaul will come, but I'm not sure we'll be wanting to move a lot of players out - we need more bodies - ideally you'd want to add four or five to the numbers we already have.

I think in defence, yes we are light. I think in terms of the No10 positions we will have too many players if everyone is fit at end of Jan (Traore and Trez back fit and well).

I can see AEG sold, Trez & JPB loaned out. Leaving us with Traore, Bailey, Buendia, Carney, Young. With Ings / Watkins also likely to be part of the attacking 3. JJ can play there too. 

If we sign a CDM and Left Back we will have enough to let AEG, Trez and JPB go out.

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we sign a CDM and Left Back we will have enough to let AEG, Trez and JPB go out.

I’m probably missing something, but why would signing a CDM and a LB impact whether or not we let 3 wingers leave? We may want to keep one to cover for Young to be backup for LB but that’s about it.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there an overhaul will come, but I'm not sure we'll be wanting to move a lot of players out - we need more bodies - ideally you'd want to add four or five to the numbers we already have.

I don’t feel we lack bodies, we lack quality. I’d be happy if we signed one player per window for a while and spent the whole budget on that. 

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I don’t feel we lack bodies, we lack quality. 

I think out bench yesterday was perhaps the weakest I've ever seen us field, I know we were missing Mings, Nakamba, Bailey and Watkins, but that's not an extraordinary amount of players to be missing at this time of year - the teams we should be aiming to compete with next season; West Ham, Wolves, Leicester all have more quality depth than we do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not so sure. I think we'll replace players we lose and we'll replace the Senior loan players we expect to 'lose' in the summer. Although suppose that could be classed as adding to the squad.

- A GK and 'lose' Kalinic. (And maybe Steer too)

- A FB and 'lose' Guilbert. But we'll probably go LB over RB. (Another FB for Young in the summer)

- A CB and lose Axel

Those 3 I see as certainties this window. I expect if AEG really does leave we'll also see a 10/Winger. I don't think moving Wes on gets a replacement in the squad as we already made that move with Ings.

DM is the only one I see being a new signing to bulk out the numbers and also a certainty this window. And even then I think we'll lose somebody we don't want to in the Summer. My bet still on Luiz.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think out bench yesterday was perhaps the weakest I've ever seen us field, I know we were missing Mings, Nakamba, Bailey and Watkins, but that's not an extraordinary amount of players to be missing at this time of year - the teams we should be aiming to compete with next season; West Ham, Wolves, Leicester all have more quality depth than we do.

Missing 4 starters would effect any squad. Our bench would have looked a lot better if even 2 of these were available. Look at Liverpools bench yesterday.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree, but Guilbert, Wes, Hourihane and to a much lesser extent Kalinic (whose been replaced 2-3 times now tbf) were all meant to be first team squad players that haven't worked out.

I can't imagine many other Prem teams have 4 players out on loan that were bought within the last 3-4 years as first team starters. We get those replacements right + Watkins, Bailey, Mings and Nakamba back into the squad and that's 7 players to fill the bench. Plus a Tuanzebe replacement who was also missing

Rightly or wrongly we're still transitioning from our first summer out of the Championship with what we bought there.

Luckily we have a highly competitive academy, getting those 3/4 quality players in and also not losing our best and brightest (Kesler, Chuk, JPB, Iroegbunam) due to lack of playing time is going to be a very delicate balance for Gerrard to strike. We could really do with some good Cup Runs next season.

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Agreed but the key to progression for me at least is improving the ability of our first 11. We’ve lots of players who can do a job but need more players who can be match winners. 

50 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I can't imagine many other Prem teams have 4 players out on loan that were bought within the last 3-4 years as first team starters.

That maybe true but Hourihane was bought when we were in the Championship and he was a 1st team player and he helped us win promotion. Wes got an injury that kept him out of the game for over a year and the jury is still out on whether he can recover to play as a professional footballer again and Guilbert was only about 4m and hopefully he gets a chance under Gerrard, he is playing well in France 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That maybe true but Hourihane was bought when we were in the Championship and he was a 1st team player and he helped us win promotion. Wes got an injury that kept him out of the game for over a year and the jury is still out on whether he can recover to play as a professional footballer again and Guilbert was only about 4m and hopefully he gets a chance under Gerrard, he is playing well in France 

Oh I completely understand the reasons but it still stands that we've got 4 players that should be in the first team that for whatever reason aren't making the grade here and are out on loan. We just need to replace them and move on but we can't just hoard them all too

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Both Bardell and Ashley Preece have said he wants minimum 3 players this window.

Preece pointed out that he signed 41 players at Rangers bloody hell.

• Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Both Bardell and Ashley Preece have said he wants minimum 3 players this window.

Preece pointed out that he signed 41 players at Rangers bloody hell.

41 players and not moving anyone on it is then! 

• Haha 1