Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

doesnt sound like the tv at the ground, I’m shocked watching it today online after normally being at the ground and my bro confirmed the different views.  It has to be the mics

Good, because for all the rubbish games I’ve seen at Villa Park in front of quiet crowds, there’s never been a better time to watch Villa than now. We finally have a team, manager and club to be proud of, and we should be singing from the stands at villa park about that. 

• Like 1

Atmosphere was awful, it really was. Started to get a bit rowdy in the second half with the fans starting to get pissed off with the ref and their players, then obviously the goal went in and the fans  properly came  alive on the 87th minute. No excuse for it to be so quiet  and to wait until the end of the game near enough for us to score before getting behind the team.  You’d think Villa Park would be bouncing, but it fails to deliver most of the time.

Tbf today was much better than a lot of weeks ive been at VP but its true it only really started when we got the equaliser. A few people still left before our first but a lot fewer than usual, it was a strange one. Also palace away fans arent that good, were quiet most of the game and didnt sell out their allocation. Their home support sounds great but away poor

• Like 1

I think par for the opponents plan. Roy would hardly want an up and down game. Unfortunately, unless it’s the big teams - most other teams are coming to VP to hunker down, which in combination with our style, can cause the game to be a bit flat. 

Only Newcastle and Brighton had a pretty good atmosphere for the majority of the match last year and no surprise, they were two of the teams that didn’t sit back. 

1 hour ago, spiezels said:

Has been the same for a while I’ve thought when going. 
But think it might be the case across the board with all teams. 

10 wins at home in a row you’d hope would lift it though.

10 wins at home.

You've said it all there

I mean literally say it and think about it, 10 wins at home...and then measure it against our support.

**** Shocking.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nick76 said:

Well I wasn’t able to go to the game today so I got Villa to give my ticket to my brother.  I watched the game online and I can understand why those that don’t watch live think the atmosphere at Villa Park is crap.  

I spoke to my brother after the game and I asked him about the atmosphere and our experiences today was very different re that.  Definitely the crowd mic’s are in the wrong places because we sounded dead all game online and I know that wasn’t the case.  Somebody should fix that.  Will put fans meeting thread!

Isnt the audio sorted by Sky and not the club? They always seem to arrange for the audio to be near the away end, not just for us but other grounds

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There was a lot of negativity around me yesterday. Players getting abused and just general moaning . In all honesty most home support in England is crap though so we aren’t much different to the rest . 

There’s also a lot of negativity in this thread.

However your final sentence pretty much sums it all up.

We are no different to the rest.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Isnt the audio sorted by Sky and not the club? They always seem to arrange for the audio to be near the away end, not just for us but other grounds

Yeah but I’m sure we could have some influence if we wanted especially if it’s reflecting badly on us, which I’m sure the club wouldn’t want for many reasons.

I always thought this thread was crazy but not being able to go yesterday and watching online I can see the reason why online fans have commented as they do but it certainly doesn’t reflect what’s in the ground.  

Atmosphere isn’t like the early days of my support pre premier league formation days but what I heard online yesterday from the stream isn’t reality imo and my bro at the game confirmed my suspicions.  

It’s a minor issue for the club I guess but perception is a big thing commercially.  It’s also a quick fix or conversation with the broadcaster at the time I’m guessing.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but I’m sure we could have some influence if we wanted especially if it’s reflecting badly on us, which I’m sure the club wouldn’t want for many reasons.

I always thought this thread was crazy but not being able to go yesterday and watching online I can see the reason why online fans have commented as they do but it certainly doesn’t reflect what’s in the ground.  

Atmosphere isn’t like the early days of my support pre premier league formation days but what I heard online yesterday from the stream isn’t reality imo and my bro at the game confirmed my suspicions.  

It’s a minor issue for the club I guess but perception is a big thing commercially.  It’s also a quick fix or conversation with the broadcaster at the time I’m guessing.

I haven’t been to a match since the MON era so I can only watch online but I feel as if it sounded even better when we were in the championship.

Maybe they don’t put as many of the mics at the away end when we were in the championship because the away end wasn’t likely to sell out for every match?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Atmosphere was awful, it really was. Started to get a bit rowdy in the second half with the fans starting to get pissed off with the ref and their players, then obviously the goal went in and the fans  properly came  alive on the 87th minute. No excuse for it to be so quiet  and to wait until the end of the game near enough for us to score before getting behind the team.  You’d think Villa Park would be bouncing, but it fails to deliver most of the time.

In the concourse of the lower north before the Hibs game, something really occurred to me. There were loads of groups of late teens early twenties congregating, and so so few of them were drinking. I guess presumably because a pint is now double what it was ten years ago and the younger generation cant afford it. Ten to twenty years ago your have people chucking pints in the air to chants. 

It was just staggering to me how noticeable it was that i was one of the few drinking around me 20 mins before kick off.

It shouldn't be but maybe people arent drinking as much pre game anymore and that contributes to the poor atmosphere. It's a changing attitude to alcohol culturally and absolutely people cant afford £6 a pint, or multiples of it. 

40 minutes ago, turvontour said:

In the concourse of the lower north before the Hibs game, something really occurred to me. There were loads of groups of late teens early twenties congregating, and so so few of them were drinking. I guess presumably because a pint is now double what it was ten years ago and the younger generation cant afford it. Ten to twenty years ago your have people chucking pints in the air to chants. 

It was just staggering to me how noticeable it was that i was one of the few drinking around me 20 mins before kick off.

It shouldn't be but maybe people arent drinking as much pre game anymore and that contributes to the poor atmosphere. It's a changing attitude to alcohol culturally and absolutely people cant afford £6 a pint, or multiples of it. 

Maybe, young people have less money and cost of living etc etc. I’m not sure though I remember going to games when it should have been a decent atmosphere and pre game in the pubs everyone is buzzing , then once in ground it’s shit .  It’s a weird one at the minute but Villa park really should be like a cauldron at the moment. People used to say well give us something to get behind, well we do have something to get behind and it’s not happening. 

• Like 2

I do think atmospheres as a whole after covid has definitely changed abit. VAR has made celebrations a little more muted or shorter lived as everyone has a quick check it’s confirmed. 
That’s at VP and the away games I’ve been to since covid. 

2 hours ago, spiezels said:

I do think atmospheres as a whole after covid has definitely changed abit. VAR has made celebrations a little more muted or shorter lived as everyone has a quick check it’s confirmed. 
That’s at VP and the away games I’ve been to since covid. 

Yeah I didn't even celebrate the Diaby goal because it just looked off. Do think we need a dedicated area for fans wanting to make atmosphere. 

Â