Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

He's been a flop of a signing, that chance he had from the free kick... Should be burying it

I wouldn't say he's been a flop, but more that it was a stupid signing. If we'd flogged Ollie and brought him in as a replacement it'd have made more sense, and probably worked better. As it is he's clearly second fiddle to a guy who's struggling, so they're both rendered pretty pointless.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, og1874 said:

I wouldn't say he's been a flop, but more that it was a stupid signing. If we'd flogged Ollie and brought him in as a replacement it'd have made more sense, and probably worked better. As it is he's clearly second fiddle to a guy who's struggling, so they're both rendered pretty pointless.

Agree with this. 

Just now, og1874 said:

It's tried and tested Villa logic.

Have a 1-up-top system that's working reasonably well? Bring in another forward to break it.

Then sign 2 wingers.

Then play one of the wingers as a 10.

Then stop playing wingers entirely.

Or buy in Baros and sell Solano?

Or buy in Bent and then sell Downing and Young?

Such fun to look over illogical transfer policies down the years.

• Like 3

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Or buy in Baros and sell Solano?

Or buy in Bent and then sell Downing and Young?

Such fun to look over illogical transfer policies down the years.

Yup, it seems to be part of the club ethos.

Need a goal scorer? Buy one and sell his supply.

Need supply? Buy some and take away the goal scorer.

Need wide players? Buy some and then stop using wide players.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, og1874 said:

I think he might well end up being part of any offer to Brighton for bissouma. They need a forward who can score, we need a central midfielder

I can see Ings getting 20 goals at Brighton while we get a dud in Bissouma. Typical Villa 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

I can see Ings getting 20 goals at Brighton while we get a dud in Bissouma. Typical Villa 

They'll get champions league if they turn that xG into actual G. :D

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Doubt it hes scored 20 goals once in his Premier League career and the highest other than that is 12.  I think it woud be a good move to part exchange him for Bissouma, then sign another striker and have have Archer there too. 

20 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Another typical Villa signing. Buy an experienced proven goalscorer who then never looks like scoirng. Peak Villa.

I've said before just how unbelievably often this happens to us. The worst example was probably Kevin Phillips. A guy who literally scored buckets for everyone before and after us yet couldnt hit a barn door for us.

20 years on and we're still neutering goalscorers. That said, Ings is getting chances, he's just missing them horribly. It's completely on him not the supply.

8 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I've said before just how unbelievably often this happens to us. The worst example was probably Kevin Phillips. A guy who literally scored buckets for everyone before and after us yet couldnt hit a barn door for us.

20 years on and we're still neutering goalscorers. That said, Ings is getting chances, he's just missing them horribly. It's completely on him not the supply.

Also from Southampton? However Kev was a few years older than Ings and was on the way down a bit when he joined us.

23 hours ago, og1874 said:

Yeah, he would be much better if he was playing with a strike partner who leads the line and he can work off. Ollie excels as the lone CF who can run the channels and not working as well in a two where he's expected to be taking direct balls or coming short to get the ball etc..

It's why the pairing isn't working as well as we hoped. I think it worked at its best as part of the 4 3 1 2 though. 

Injuries have been a problem for him over his career. You might say hes been unlucky again but I think we'd be better of getting whatever we can for him because I think hes a player on his way down. 

On 11/04/2022 at 13:50, R.Bear said:

Isn’t his goals and xG virtually the same, somebody posted it the other day, his and Watkins.  I’m not sure you are correct.

edit: yep he’s in line with his chances and well above on assists

https://understat.com/player/986

F21523C8-A347-4A7A-AD0C-41486166CA3C.jpeg

Edited by nick76

44 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Isn’t his goals and xG virtually the same, somebody posted it the other day, his and Watkins.  I’m not sure you are correct.

edit: yep he’s in line with his chances and well above on assists

https://understat.com/player/986

F21523C8-A347-4A7A-AD0C-41486166CA3C.jpeg

You are correct, they are both similar.

Ings was so wasteful against Spurs though, almost criminal the three great goalscoring chances he had.

Personally, Watkins will get better and his energy levels are way higher, Ings looks knackered to me.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

On 11/04/2022 at 14:00, The Fun Factory said:

Also from Southampton? However Kev was a few years older than Ings and was on the way down a bit when he joined us.

But still scored the winner against that vermin so I will be forever be in his debt

On 10/04/2022 at 17:32, og1874 said:

It's tried and tested Villa logic.

Have a 1-up-top system that's working reasonably well? Bring in another forward to break it.

Then sign 2 wingers.

Then play one of the wingers as a 10.

Then stop playing wingers entirely.

I notice we're kind of laughing about it, but it's this kind of reactionary, nonsensical BS we all thought we were getting away from with the these owners.

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You are correct, they are both similar.

Ings was so wasteful against Spurs though, almost criminal the three great goalscoring chances he had.

Personally, Watkins will get better and his energy levels are way higher, Ings looks knackered to me.

I don’t agree, overall. I think both were wasteful against Spurs and yes Ings more so than Watkins in that game but I’m not sure Watkins will get better, starting to think last season was the best we’ll get from Ollie and most of that was off playing with Jack.  

Ings hasn’t been playing well but playing off the main striker scoring line with his chances and 5 assists as well, so creating for others unlike Ollie. Ings pressing stats were higher as well compared to Watkins, somebody pointed out in the last match they played together.  

As for Watkins having higher energy levels, that maybe the case but he hasn’t used them this season if they are there.  

Definitely trust Ings over Ollie at the moment.

On 11/04/2022 at 03:07, Zatman said:

He'd probably fit in very well there you know.

The lads on the podcast were talking about it last night.

Sell Ings to Brighton, to finally give them the goalscorer they need, to leapfrog us 🙃

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â