Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

56 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

It’s insulting to el ghazi that he gets compared with Bailey. Anwar did far more for this club than Bailey has ever done 

Maybe, but the comparison is because El-Ghazi was a very patchy player who would be involved and effective for short spells every few games and then disappear.  The difference is that while Bailey is a bit like that at home, El Ghazi also had good spells and got goals and assists away from home.   Bailey just looks relentlessly hopeless in away games.

• Like 3

Bailey looks shot to bits...

I thought first ten minutes he was a liability...

Last season I wondered whether he was a fair weather player against inferior opposition but now I'm not sure he is even that.

I think he'll be gone in January...Turkey on loan...

Villa got fleeced.

Had really high hopes for the lad, but the body of evidence from his time here demonstrates beyond reasonable doubt that he’s mid to lower Prem standard - at best - and if the opportunity comes up to move him on we shouldn’t hesitate.

Looked stellar in his first run out against Everton, but unfortunately post-injury we’ve never seen that player again. 

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Do we know he is fully fit yet?

He looked a little off yesterday and it would explain the lack of pace and intensity

He pretty much came straight from the Gold Cup to pre season. I don't think he even had a summer break

• Like 1

It just occurred to me. When we signed Bailey two years ago he was hot property. I wonder if he insisted on a 'first team regular' type clause in his contract?

It seems odd that three different managers have always selected him as a starter whenever he's been fully fit and even when he's been badly out of form? 

Edited by Captain_Townsend

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think JPB deserves a start ahead of bailey next week.

Bailey was bloody awful and i defend bailey at times. But that performance was very very bad.

JPB is far superior defensively imo. He would have done a better job against Dan Burn imo. 

16 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It just occurred to me. When we signed Bailey two years ago he was hot property. I wonder if he insisted on a 'first team regular' type clause in his contract?

It seems odd that three different managers have always selected him as a starter whenever he's been fully fit and even when he's been badly out of form? 

I assume he probably looks ok in training and that's why he is picked. It would seem he can't get even close to the required standard when in an actual game. He needs dropping for everyone's sake 

Not sure if it's been posted already but according to whoscored stats he had a passing accuracy of 35% (giving the ball away 9 times), a crossing accuracy of 0% (giving the ball away 3 times) and was "dispossessed" 4 times and made one further unsuccessful dribble with success rate of 0%. He apparently touched the ball 28 times and gave it away at least 17 times. Those stats are up there with some of the worst I've ever seen, watching the game it was obvious he was playing poorly, but seeing the stats as they are, it's just shocking how remarkably bad they are.

The guy had a big reputation, a big transfer free and big wages, a lot of hype from his agent etc but honestly he is no better than what we had before. It might sound knee-jerk but after that game yesterday I've just given up on him now, he has been too poor for too long and if he is still as useless after a full summer working with Emery then the writing is on the wall. Some might call me old fashioned but I prefer our players to help the team by not giving the ball to the opposition over half the times they touch it. 

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

JPB is far superior defensively imo. He would have done a better job against Dan Burn imo. 

He reminded me yesterday of Bert/Trez in defensive duties.Dropping back as a gesture rather than trying to dispossess the opposition. 

Unfortunately, he’s just not good enough for the Premier League. He really struggles with the intensity of the English game, both physically and mentally. For his own sake, he desperately needs to go back to a less demanding league and rebuild his career. 

27 minutes ago, Derryvillan said:

He reminded me yesterday of Bert/Trez in defensive duties.Dropping back as a gesture rather than trying to dispossess the opposition. 

As in Trezeguet? That’s a bit harsh- Trezeguet was genuinely very good off the ball and was excellent at pressing his opposition full back

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Supervillan78 said:

Unfortunately, he’s just not good enough for the Premier League. He really struggles with the intensity of the English game, both physically and mentally. For his own sake, he desperately needs to go back to a less demanding league and rebuild his career. 

Definitely this ...... his head is all over the place. He never looks like he is enjoying games and I suspect he is struggling with all sorts of demons because he himself knows he is playing at a level he can't perform at. Do him good to drop a level and start enjoying his game more.

Edited by Paul33

Â