Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

51 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Bailey already is a squad player in my view, he should not be starting games. I'd expect him to be dropped if all are fit or Kamara is back.

If we are to ever challenge for the top six there will come a time when Emery will need more consistency from bench players and not merely a hope they will perform.

We are already top 6 under Emery with Bailey as a starter. I am sure we can challenge top 6 with him as a bench option. 

It's unlikely someone will come in with £20m+ to buy him so I think that is what we will see, as I am sure we will sign a key player for that role during the summer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yes he has been struggling for a while but the talent is clearly there. 

True, he was getting slaughtered by a number Jamaican fans for performance against Mexico yesterday though.

Common consensus though was that it's frustrating because they know he's a quality player, at the same time.

They were saying he must be low on confidence, and he was/is almost trying too hard to do fancy things and " prove a point" which is backfiring.

They were saying he's most effective and dangerous when he keeps things simple and moving. Was taking too many touches etc.

They were saying he needs to be benched until he " comes back " as he's currently getting in the team on reputation.

One Chelsea fan said he'd have him at his best over Kai Havertz though as he feel at his best his ceiling is higher 

Arguments between them saying that the abuse from fans doesn't help etc 

In no rush to sell him though as he can definitely be effective as a part of the squad.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

They were saying he's most effective and dangerous when he keeps things simple and moving. Was taking too many touches etc.

He's been doing that in pretty much every game since he's been at Villa. I'm not sure he can be classed as a 'quality player' either. Capable of quality moments, without doubt, but his decision making lets him down massively, at least at the moment, and tbf I've seen little signs of it improving.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

One Chelsea fan said he'd have him at his best over Kai Havertz though as he feel at his best his ceiling is higher

Saw him live at Leverkusen a couple of times while Havertz was still there and both times Bailey looked by far the better player.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

True, he was getting slaughtered by a number Jamaican fans for performance against Mexico yesterday though.

Common consensus though was that it's frustrating because they know he's a quality player, at the same time.

They were saying he must be low on confidence, and he was/is almost trying too hard to do fancy things and " prove a point" which is backfiring.

They were saying he needs to be benched until he " comes back " as he's currently getting in the team on reputation.

In no rush to sell him though as he can definitely be effective as a part of the squad.

There comes a time, when the " He has  talent" argument gets tedious.....it can be said about many players inc Deli Ali.

Most players who have reached Premier League status are talented, the acid test, is making that talent effective in games.....application is what is needed.

He doesn't need to do fancy things, just do the basics well, its amazing how far that can take you. I am not writing him off, but he needs to go back to basics and build himself, back up....I worry a bit for the lad.

The same is said about Bertie, he is also a talent, that rarely delivers....but this "Talent" label, isn't convincing to me, there is much more that needs to go with it.

If I had a £1 for every "talented player", that never quite made it, I would be a rich man.

Nothing would please me more, for Leon to find his form and skin a few defenders, in the meantime, its painful, to watch....The sad thing is, he's not effective.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

On 05/03/2023 at 21:21, KentVillan said:

Summerville should definitely be on your radar, he looks very useful. The others, meh.

He'd never make it here. Too much of a small town boy.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

JV I’m not sure he can assume the mantle of a quality player - he has been pretty woeful since joining the club.

The very odd moments have been very few and far between and I don’t believe he can produce moments of insane magic like Bertie can.

He is not coming good anytime soon imo and should be one of the first out of the door  

• Like 1

On 28/03/2023 at 16:37, TRO said:

There comes a time, when the " He has  talent" argument gets tedious.....it can be said about many players inc Deli Ali.

Most players who have reached Premier League status are talented, the acid test, is making that talent effective in games.....application is what is needed.

He doesn't need to do fancy things, just do the basics well, its amazing how far that can take you. I am not writing him off, but he needs to go back to basics and build himself, back up....I worry a bit for the lad.

The same is said about Bertie, he is also a talent, that rarely delivers....but this "Talent" label, isn't convincing to me, there is much more that needs to go with it.

If I had a £1 for every "talented player", that never quite made it, I would be a rich man.

Nothing would please me more, for Leon to find his form and skin a few defenders, in the meantime, its painful, to watch....The sad thing is, he's not effective.

Talent, confidence, fitness, form, coaches. The simple fact is he's never going to pull up trees in the PL.

He's just not that quick enough, not that strong enough and not that technical enough on both feet.

If he had one stand out attribute he might have done the business ( supposedly his blistering pace...I've never seen it.)

As it is he's just bare average at nearly everything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Talent, confidence, fitness, form, coaches. The simple fact is he's never going to pull up trees in the PL.

He's just not that quick enough, not that strong enough and not that technical enough on both feet.

If he had one stand out attribute he might have done the business ( supposedly his blistering pace...I've never seen it.)

As it is he's just bare average at nearly everything.

I agree.

The thing that has flummoxed me, is,  before he arrived with us, there was so much talk of his blistering pace.

How can so many, be so wrong?

where is this alleged pace?

I just don’t see a future for him. He’s nowhere good enough to start if we want to crack top 8, and he and his entourage would not be happy with him being a bench warmer. I’d cut the chord whilst we can still make some money. 

I’m also a bit bored of these arguments of “but pace” and “but he has talent”. Tbh based on his showings at Villa, he doesn’t have much of either. 

• Like 2

Listened to a two hour Jamaican podcast last night with alot of focus on him.

It seems alot of Jamaicans lay alot of blame on Craig Butler for overhyping him and applying constant pressure on him.

Essentially setting him up for failure. Jamaicans are just as perplexed as to where the player they watched at Leverkusen has gone.

Podcaster also posed the question of " Is he underperforming or has he just always been overrated " ?

Most of the contributors sustain that he wasn't overrated based on best Leverkusen performances but has massively declined.

Suspicions his head isn't in the game ATM.

Sad situation, as another poster commented, it really wouldn't surprise me if he went somewhere like Ajax and found a new lease of life.

Since that initial injury he had with us, he hasn't shown much aside from sporadic flashes.

Still don't think he's as bad as intimated though and obviously a confidence player. It's evident he currently has zero.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It seems alot of Jamaicans lay alot of blame on Craig Butler for overhyping him and applying constant pressure on him.

Essentially setting him up for failure. Jamaicans are just as perplexed as to where the player they watched at Leverkusen has gone.

Podcaster also posed the question of " Is he underperforming or has he just always been overrated " ?

Most of the contributors sustain that he wasn't overrated based on best Leverkusen performances but has massively declined.

Sad situation, as another poster commented, it really wouldn't surprise me if he went somewhere like Ajax and found a new lease of life.

Since that initial injury he had with us, he hasn't shown much aside from sporadic flashes.

Still don't think he's as bad as intimated though and obviously a confidence player. It's evident he currently has zero.

Do you have a link to the PC please 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think so too. It's a difficult position to play yourself back into form from as well - wingers can't really ride out a game quietly as they're expected to produce big moments, so it increases the pressure. Son at Spurs is an example of another player struggling right now in a similar position. 

He desperately needs to cut his dad out of the picture and free himself from all the people hounding him. I have been very critical of him but I wonder if Villa could do more to help him with any personal battles that are holding him back? I feel like he needs the cast of Ted Lasso in his life…

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

At Leverkusen he was always hit and miss as well but with slightly more end product. Wide players tend to do that, if we watched Bowen or Zaha every week we would probably say the same but we remember the highlights

I dont think he has recovered from that Everton injury last season as well and has damaged his pace

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

its a sad situation, because we paid a lot of money for him.

I sincerely hope, its just a poor period and he finds his form, but he looks like he is going like Deli Alli.

I'm absolutely fed up watching him.  Runs into trouble, doesn't lift his head, passes when he should run, runs when he should pass, need i go on?

If we can even get £5m for him in the summer i'd take it.

Absolute waste of money.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TRO said:

its a sad situation, because we paid a lot of money for him.

I sincerely hope, its just a poor period and he finds his form, but he looks like he is going like Deli Alli.

Going like Dele Alli? Nothing like that in my opinion. Alli's attitude is horrendous, and even though he excelled for a season or two in that Poch system as a support striker, he's generally a very limited footballer. Can't dribble, average passer, no pace, but is a good finisher and had decent movement, that's about it.

Bailey's attitude isn't bad, he just lacks footballing intelligence.

Edited by Tom13

On 28/03/2023 at 19:39, ChesterDad said:

JV I’m not sure he can assume the mantle of a quality player - he has been pretty woeful since joining the club.

The very odd moments have been very few and far between and I don’t believe he can produce moments of insane magic like Bertie can.

He is not coming good anytime soon imo and should be one of the first out of the door  

I think he was injured in his first season and has been patchy this season. Hopefully he gets more consistency and improves. 

Â