Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

He was fit towards the end of the season to start games. Pace is pace. You either have it or you don't. Unless he was playing with a snapped hamstring.

I think he's lost it. I've seen plenty of players have injuries loss of form and loss of confidence. Come back in, be rusty, lack sharpness on the ball, stamina. I have never seen a player lose pace and get it back. 

I was an athlete many decades ago. Sprinters have a much higher percentage of 'fast twitch' muscles. They deteriorate with age but at Bailey's age they should recover completely after injury.

• Like 1

He may have been quick in the Bundesliga, so far, he has looked nothing special in either speed or talent in the Premier League.

Let’s all hope it’s fitness, but people arguing he is rapid on the basis of, “but, but, but he is cuz I say he is” is laughable.

Bar the one moment v Everton, the guy has spent most of his time on his bum, usually because he has fallen over his own feet.  The pressure put on him by his old man isn’t helping, he may have taken him off the streets of wherever, but it appears he is going to make sure people know it.

Edited by macandally
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Watching the highlights from the Bundesliga made me think he was Tony Daley fast. Genuine flyer. Havent yet seen that pace here.

No we haven't. Hopefully we do this season.

A tough, unpleasant pre-season for him, where he can condition his body could work wonders.

Potentially our best player IMO.

3 hours ago, Indigo said:

"Bailey is the third fastest sprinter ever recorded in the Bundesliga at 22.62 miles per hour, behind only Alphonso Davies and Achraf Hakimi."

lol

yes but you know them Premier League pitches are different that only unique runners can run on 

the Premier League speed record is 22.2 miles per hour as proven by the tougher Premier League turf 

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He was fit towards the end of the season to start games. Pace is pace. You either have it or you don't. Unless he was playing with a snapped hamstring.

I think he's lost it. I've seen plenty of players have injuries loss of form and loss of confidence. Come back in, be rusty, lack sharpness on the ball, stamina. I have never seen a player lose pace and get it back. 

He started 2 Villa games since November

Sorry 3 he came off injured vs Norwich

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yes but you know them Premier League pitches are different that only unique runners can run on 

the Premier League speed record is 22.2 miles per hour as proven by the tougher Premier League turf 

Just getting silly now, he may turn out to be the quickest player in the league, but if he cannot a) stay on his feet and b) stay fit it’s a mute argument.

So far, he has done neither for long enough to evidence either of the “rapid or not rapid” arguments

My theory behind his lack of speed is that he is hesitant to hit that top gear with the injuries he has been picking up, it's a mental thing that I'm sure we have guys working with him to overcome 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Did you not see his sprint back from the Man City penalty box in December? He over took the breaking city player like he was standing still .... then he pulled his hamstring! He has real undeniable pace.

I’m not sure that counts as being speedy if he gets injured. 

He needs to be able to do a certain speed consistently every match without getting injured to say that’s his pace. 

Pace also isn’t really the main attribute that makes him or any player good. He needs to do something with that pace which helps win matches (consistently) to say the pace is useful.

11 minutes ago, pete101 said:

My theory behind his lack of speed is that he is hesitant to hit that top gear with the injuries he has been picking up, it's a mental thing that I'm sure we have guys working with him to overcome 

I don’t want him to hit top speed. I want him to be good when on the ball, whether that’s at a decent pace or at a slower pace. 

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

No we haven't. Hopefully we do this season.

A tough, unpleasant pre-season for him, where he can condition his body could work wonders.

Potentially our best player IMO.

I was jealous/suprised/impressed you pulled it off as a signing last year, and even more suprised he was as poor as he has been.

Used to watch him at Leverkusen with Diaby. He was a bit hit and miss in his last couple seasons but still good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, macandally said:

He may have been quick in the Bundesliga, so far, he has looked nothing special in either speed or talent in the Premier League.

Let’s all hope it’s fitness, but people arguing he is rapid on the basis of, “but, but, but he is cuz I say he is” is laughable.

Bar the one moment v Everton, the guy has spent most of his time on his bum, usually because he has fallen over his own feet.  The pressure put on him by his old man isn’t helping, he may have taken him off the streets of wherever, but it appears he is going to make sure people know it.

You know no one is doing this right? 

People are basing it on what we've seen from his entire career. I'm not sure why that's being ignored. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I think he was rushed back from his injuries more than once last season and this might be why he kept getting injured

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

You know no one is doing this right? 

People are basing it on what we've seen from his entire career. I'm not sure why that's being ignored. 

That bolded bit is amazing 😂 There's actual numbers and data that back up him being fast, the only stance reliant solely on "because I say so" is that he isn't.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Interesting. Didn't see that pace yesterday IMO.

He didn't really have much of a chance to stretch his legs though.

There were a couple of occasions, off the ball, where he was full pelt to either get into position or get and back and help.  Seemed to just glide.

On the ball he was tightly marked, but his footwork was really encouraging.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

There were a couple of occasions, off the ball, where he was full pelt to either get into position or get and back and help.  Seemed to just glide.

Wonder if he ever had any formal athletics training?

The Jamaicans know how to sprint.

19 minutes ago, Indigo said:

That bolded bit is amazing 😂 There's actual numbers and data that back up him being fast, the only stance reliant solely on "because I say so" is that he isn't.

We have had loads of players bought on stats that never reached those heights with us, I go back to the original statement, we haven’t seen that in a Villa shirt yet 🙄

Â