Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Oh well, we've recently announced our Jamaican Bobsled Team is back!

So he's got a future no matter what!

Cannot wait until he’s properly fit, Provides another dimension to this exciting resume of players we are building. Will be a big big player I’m sure

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

He will play in one of the roles either side of the lone striker. Gary McAllister has said he fits Gerrard's preferred system. He won't be playing full-back (?).

Some of the reactions in this thread are quite bizarre. 

He's returned one goal and two assists in 9 appearances. Grealish has two + two in 15 games. Sancho has 1 + 0 in 17 games.

It's a tough transition from the Bundesliga (Havertz, Werner, Sancho, Konate, etc.) - but he's passed the eye test every time I've seen him play. He's only 24. People on this forum seem scared of having a squad of players that actually challenge each other. Traore, Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey are great options for two positions. As are Ings and Watkins, Digne and Targett, etc.  

Agreed. I'm excited to see Bailey return and he gives us a fantastic third option for one of the two behind the "9". Two out of Buendia, Bailey (who can play either side) and Coutinho is exciting and allows for rotation and a real impact off the bench. I sat right behind Bailey in the Everton game and he looked scary - as said elsewhere any manager that can't use that is not a manager I want and I think Stevie will definitely use him!

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Has writing off Buendia as absolute tripe and a waste of money not given some people a bit of patience and nuance?

Some of the comments I would think I was in the Scott Hogan or Samatta thread 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I agree fully. He clearly thought he was Jack’s replacement and he’s now on the bench for a manager that didn’t even sign him.

What? 

First he thought he was coming to play with Grealish and secondly he has been injured since Gerrard 2nd game

• Like 1

I agree fully. He clearly thought he was Jack’s replacement and he’s now on the bench for a manager that didn’t even sign him.

FWIW I personally think him and Ings will be moved on quite quickly - despite being very good players - as they are obviously squaddie square pegs in round holes under Gerrard. 

Why obviously? We've hardly seen anything of him, SG even less so! 

That is a wild assumption imo. Personally I hope he overcomes his injury issues and becomes a valuable member of the squad. 

FWIW I personally think him and Ings will be moved on quite quickly - despite being very good players - as they are obviously squaddie square pegs in round holes under Gerrard. 

He's not, he's injured. 

• Like 2

We’ve got to develop a bigger squad mentality, we can have a big squad with talented first team players who won’t play every week, or the same formation. We can sign players and not think that someone has to leave. We struggle to be competitive in the league and the two domestic cups at the moment, but we want and aspire to be in Europe too, that’s a massive increase in demand on resources. We need these players, they will find their place.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

We’ve got to develop a bigger squad mentality, we can have a big squad with talented first team players who won’t play every week, or the same formation. We can sign players and not think that someone has to leave. We struggle to be competitive in the league and the two domestic cups at the moment, but we want and aspire to be in Europe too, that’s a massive increase in demand on resources. We need these players, they will find their place.

We were competitive at cups and got out by penalties with Chelsea. Tough game with United. Last season as well we played Liverpool with youth. I don’t think that’s a big issue currently. But we also don’t have the ability to have a full squad. Rotation can help when we hVe Europe. Without rotation its hard to satisfy good players.

18 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We were competitive at cups and got out by penalties with Chelsea. Tough game with United. Last season as well we played Liverpool with youth. I don’t think that’s a big issue currently. But we also don’t have the ability to have a full squad. Rotation can help when we hVe Europe. Without rotation its hard to satisfy good players.

Not sure if you are agreeing with me? We have generally played a [weak] second string in cup games in recent history. Our ability to compete in the Cups hasn’t really been tested as we have been knocked out early which suggests we are not competitive enough (FACup this year aside). But the team that got knocked out by Chelsea had Archer leading the attack (and he did very well), Hause, Tuenzebe and A Young at the back but the bench reflected our real weakness as it was the kids: Bidace, Carney & Caleb  Chukwuemeka,  Bogarde, Sinisalo, Aaron Ramsey. Lovely for experience, but doesn’t suggest we are ready to fight on all fronts and compete for the treble?

8 hours ago, thunderball said:

Not sure if you are agreeing with me? We have generally played a [weak] second string in cup games in recent history. Our ability to compete in the Cups hasn’t really been tested as we have been knocked out early which suggests we are not competitive enough (FACup this year aside). But the team that got knocked out by Chelsea had Archer leading the attack (and he did very well), Hause, Tuenzebe and A Young at the back but the bench reflected our real weakness as it was the kids: Bidace, Carney & Caleb  Chukwuemeka,  Bogarde, Sinisalo, Aaron Ramsey. Lovely for experience, but doesn’t suggest we are ready to fight on all fronts and compete for the treble?

We played that way because we had a very tough fixtures. Add to that the fact that DS didn’t took it seriously after he got to the final the other year. 
For me those kids you mentioned are better in bench than having the likes of Trez if I’m honest. We have some goid youngsters who never put us down. Technically they’re better than some of our senior players. 
My only issue was how played against Stoke last season (ofcourse I then was happy after we’ve won our historical game against Liverpool 7-2. 
Sometimes you can go with a full second string but you need to have one or two creative players at the bench. Last season we didn’t have almost any apart from Jack and Traore to a limit. That’s the fact that the manager wasn’t really seeing. This season we’re having few of them.

Most of our PL games we’re having mostly kids in our bench. For me that’s the way to go. I’ve been calling for selling El Ghazi and Trez while JPB taking over since the summer. He can’t be much worse with bags of potential. 

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We played that way because we had a very tough fixtures. Add to that the fact that DS didn’t took it seriously after he got to the final the other year. 
For me those kids you mentioned are better in bench than having the likes of Trez if I’m honest. We have some goid youngsters who never put us down. Technically they’re better than some of our senior players. 
My only issue was how played against Stoke last season (ofcourse I then was happy after we’ve won our historical game against Liverpool 7-2. 
Sometimes you can go with a full second string but you need to have one or two creative players at the bench. Last season we didn’t have almost any apart from Jack and Traore to a limit. That’s the fact that the manager wasn’t really seeing. This season we’re having few of them.

Most of our PL games we’re having mostly kids in our bench. For me that’s the way to go. I’ve been calling for selling El Ghazi and Trez while JPB taking over since the summer. He can’t be much worse with bags of potential. 

I dont disagree with anything you are saying, but I guess the point I was making is if we have the choice of playing Bailey or Coutinho on the left; Ings or Watkins up front; Bissouma or Nakamba at DM; Sanson or McGinn in a midfield berth etc, thats strength in depth, we could rotate and still be strong every game, even in the cups, so why would be want to sell Bailey or Ings or Sanson, for me we need to keep upgrading all positions so we have at least two players who are very, very good. In Europe we woidl be playing midweek and weekends most of the season when you include domestic cups, we need the very good players in depth as well as youth to occasionally introduce (rather than rely upon in the Cups).

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

Â