Travel to…Birmingham!

Spoony

• 2 months later...

Planning a weekend in august in Brum with my eldest daughter (10) thinking of heading to cannon hill park, eating at the bantu restaurant (fleet st) any other suggestions  on what to do?

Sea Life Centre is fun with kids that age.   The Lion King is on at The Hippodrome, the Birmingham Weekender is on at the end of the month (26th/27th). 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

If I go to the cinema Saturday morning to watch oppenheimer, so 3 and half hours, what can the wife do with my mom and 2 kids?

I'd be cine world so broad street, was thinking sea life but that isn't killing 3 hours

Villa park tour 😍

Cadburys world?

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Its my wife so VP is out!

Cadburys world is too far out would need to be city centre

If you're at CineWorld on Broad Street, it's right next to Five Ways and Bourneville is only a couple stops away (less than 10 mins) on the train so Cadbury World is a decent shout! 

• Like 1

Sealife is about a 45 minute to 1 hour thing. Then a walk through to the Ikon, maybe some lunch. Walk down to the library. If it's a scorching day let the kids run through the pool in front of it.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

anyone know any good curry houses in the city centre (near-ish to broad street) ? ideally one of the traditional type ones, rather than an upmarket street food thing

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

anyone know any good curry houses in the city centre (near-ish to broad street) ? ideally one of the traditional type ones, rather than an upmarket street food thing

Depends on what budget you are looking? 

On Broad St itself, you have Pushkar and Varanasi. The latter being where Johnny Depp had the 'best curry ever'

Dishoom is in Paradise, and Opheem (Michelin starred) is on Summer Row (old Mechu place)

Ashas on Newhall St... haunt of celebs like Ed Sheeran, Pink, Rolling Stones and Tom Cruise when in the city... I think due to the close location to the Grand Hotel and Hotel Du Vin.

Itihaas on the corner of Newhall St/Fleet St is very nice, and traditional. 

Most will require a booking I would imagine. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Depends on what budget you are looking? 

On Broad St itself, you have Pushkar and Varanasi. The latter being where Johnny Depp had the 'best curry ever'

Dishoom is in Paradise, and Opheem (Michelin starred) is on Summer Row (old Mechu place)

Ashas on Newhall St... haunt of celebs like Ed Sheeran, Pink, Rolling Stones and Tom Cruise when in the city... I think due to the close location to the Grand Hotel and Hotel Du Vin.

Itihaas on the corner of Newhall St/Fleet St is very nice, and traditional. 

Most will require a booking I would imagine. 

it's for a post-football evening out so thinking not the michelin star/higher end places but a couple you mentioned look more than adequate...many thanks!

• Like 1

Happy New Year!

Are there any parcel boxes / mailboxes in the city centre where you can have a parcel sent to and then collect it yourself from the box? 

I'm going to Birmingham later this year and would like to buy some books. As they are old / used books, I will - if possible - order them in advance and then collect them from a parcel box. 

I once ordered a package from Amazon which I picked up from their own parcel box in Bull Ring, but is there a similar box that can be used by all?

20 hours ago, MichaelB said:

Happy New Year!

Are there any parcel boxes / mailboxes in the city centre where you can have a parcel sent to and then collect it yourself from the box? 

I'm going to Birmingham later this year and would like to buy some books. As they are old / used books, I will - if possible - order them in advance and then collect them from a parcel box. 

I once ordered a package from Amazon which I picked up from their own parcel box in Bull Ring, but is there a similar box that can be used by all?

There's a "MailBoxesEtc" on Pinfold Street in the city centre, short walk from New Street Station. I imagine they'd do something like that

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are there other football teams/stadiums in or around Birmingham worth traveling for? My son and I are coming to Birmingham for the match against Manchester United and are landing in Manchester on Saturday morning so we can catch an extra match on Saturday.

Crewe Alexandra in League Two is an option because Crewe is perfectly located on the train line from Manchester to Birmingham, but maybe there's something better. I've previously seen Walsall in League One and have also been to Molineux for both Premier League and Championship matches, so it must be a different team/stadium.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, MichaelB said:

Are there other football teams/stadiums in or around Birmingham worth traveling for? My son and I are coming to Birmingham for the match against Manchester United and are landing in Manchester on Saturday morning so we can catch an extra match on Saturday.

Crewe Alexandra in League Two is an option because Crewe is perfectly located on the train line from Manchester to Birmingham, but maybe there's something better. I've previously seen Walsall in League One and have also been to Molineux for both Premier League and Championship matches, so it must be a different team/stadium.

Thank you.

Say it quietly but the Hawthorns is a fine stadium, unfortunately they're playing away on the day you're interested (I assume it's the 10th Feb as Villa vs Utd is on the 11th Feb?)

Blackburn play at home on the Saturday which is relatively close to Manchester. You'd have to get a train out and back to Manchester later as it's the opposite direction of Birmingham but could be an option.

Unfortunately, looking at the fixture list, I can't see many options for you in the Midlands for the Saturday. Derby County is about as close to the Midlands as you'll find with a Saturday fixture whilst staying in the football league

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichaelB said:

Thank you.

Kiddy Harriers. 10 walk from the station and nice little social club/pub next to the ground.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Blackburn play at home on the Saturday which is relatively close to Manchester. You'd have to get a train out and back to Manchester later as it's the opposite direction of Birmingham but could be an option

Getting a train from Manchester to Blackburn… Northern Fail and Sprinter trains :puke:

Â