Travel to…Birmingham!

Spoony

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

For me it's more about the way they prepare it, the small chilled glass, sprayed with cold water, ice cold beer, drank before it gets anywhere near warm and then on to the next one before you notice the thirst, makes the whole thing refreshing and easy to drink and for me personally it comes with no hangover, it's a party beer that you can throw down your neck all day 

How that translates to a bar in brum ive no idea, its OK in bottles poured yourself but loses something, that would go for all of the beers they have, the chilled glass and splash of cold water makes a massive difference 

Great post. Half pints are perfect, in fact I think they were 200ml. Its 100% the best beer I've had. Get battered and no hangover, what more could you want!

• 2 months later...

My brother is having his stag in Brum in a few weeks. Any recommendations for things to do based in and around the city? I'm relatively familiar from the odd ocassion we've driven in to spend a bit of time before/after Villa games and from one or two other visits, but there's probably a lot I'm not aware of and it's a good 3+ years since I was last there.

We're pretty covered in terms of drinking (including from suggestions above - thanks!) but is there anything activity wise or in general that would be worth doing, especially in the day? Cheers 👍

Where are you all from? 1 night or 2?

Personally I'd stay the **** away from Broad Street as the golden rule 

Go for a day in the jewellery Quarter as there are some great pubs and then depending on how menly men you are there's also a really good cocktail tour you can do yourself (places like the button factory) then see what's on at the jam House (but they might not like a stag group and last time I went they still had at least a bit of a dress code) 

Or head for around colmore row / bennets Hill area of the centre where there are some great pubs like the joint stock but then also some cheaper places like the spoons and tracadero (which are shite tbh) then later on the night lost and found and cosy club then maybe walk round to post office vaults and be at one, if you want to show off to out of towners take them to baccus bar but that's busy on the night 

Or if its your thing - and it is mine - no matter where you drink in the city the night ends in snobs 

• Like 1

On 27/02/2022 at 09:14, Troglodyte said:

My brother is having his stag in Brum in a few weeks. Any recommendations for things to do based in and around the city? I'm relatively familiar from the odd ocassion we've driven in to spend a bit of time before/after Villa games and from one or two other visits, but there's probably a lot I'm not aware of and it's a good 3+ years since I was last there.

We're pretty covered in terms of drinking (including from suggestions above - thanks!) but is there anything activity wise or in general that would be worth doing, especially in the day? Cheers 👍

If you're after an activity then I'd suggest look at Digbeth.

There are loads of activity bars that have popped up there. Basically sports/games coupled with bars and food. They're good fun. Some suggestions

Ghetto Golf - mini golf. Basically set in a warehouse with a cool/funny course, music, drinks etc
NQ64 - bar in the custard factory. Basically an arcade, but with a bar. Very cool and pretty reasonable prices for games
Dropshot - table tennis bar (not been here myself)
The Floodgate - tabletop golf, batting cages, curling
Chance and Counters - Boardgames, if that's your thing
Flight Club - darts (this one isn't actually in Digbeth, it's on Temple Street more in the centre of brum. But similar thing. They do bottomless brunches coupled with darts. Good fun)

I think they've just opened a cricket one in Digbeth too but I've not been

However my number 1 recommendation for that sort of thing would be Roxy Ballroom in Digbeth
They have bowling, beer pong, table tennis, pool and shuffleboard. They serve decent beers and pretty good food (mostly pizza)
The way they do the bookings is so you can book a whole day. So like an hour of pool followed by a couple of games of bowling then some beer pong etc. And you book it all in advance so no danger of not being able to do what you want.

I've done a couple of days there with some lads and it's good fun. Seems like it would be a great shout for the day time on a stag do.

It does book up quite a lot though so I'd get on it as soon as you can if you're interested

There's also go karting in Digbeth if you wanted something  bit more stag traditional. Go Karting followed by an activity bar could be a pretty good day

Edited by Stevo985

On 27/02/2022 at 09:53, villa4europe said:

Personally I'd stay the **** away from Broad Street as the golden rule 

Oh and I can't emphasise enough how important this is.

Brindley Place should be as close as you get to Broad Street

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Can anyone recommend a hotel close to Villa Park, accessed preferably by a single train from Witton. Seeing Springsteen in the summer and will be having a drink so going for a hotel option, is city centre the best option (if it is I know of hotels there) or is there somewhere else served by the trains running from witton?

On 25/01/2023 at 13:47, Seat68 said:

Can anyone recommend a hotel close to Villa Park, accessed preferably by a single train from Witton. Seeing Springsteen in the summer and will be having a drink so going for a hotel option, is city centre the best option (if it is I know of hotels there) or is there somewhere else served by the trains running from witton?

Is that lovely old Holte pub right in front of Villa Park not a hotel as well? I've no idea, just a thought. I've never been inside it but it looks really nice on the outside.

• 5 weeks later...
On 25/01/2023 at 16:47, Seat68 said:

Does it have to be Witton or will Aston do?

Sutton Coldfield and Lichfield are both on the same line as Aston if you don't want to be in the city centre. I've not used hotels in either area but I would think they'd be fine. Even a taxi to/from Sutton from VP won't be much. £15 I'd guess

There's one called The Townhouse in Sutton which is a 2 minute walk from the station that looks quite nice, but probably worth looking at reviews

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 1

The holiday inn at star city looks ok. I haven't stayed but I have used their free parking a number of times for villa matches. Very easy to get to.  Not much to do around there so depends on what you are looking for really.

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The holiday inn at star city looks ok. I haven't stayed but I have used their free parking a number of times for villa matches. Very easy to get to.  Not much to do around there so depends on what you are looking for really.

Not that I am one to do down the beautiful old world environs of Star City, and thank you, but I may try Lichfield

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why not stay at The Aston Tavern? 

https://astontavern.co.uk/

Or the Aston Social though I suspect this is more functional 

http://theastoninn.co.uk/

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

If one is planning ahead for an autumn trip to Brum for a Villa match, are there certain ranges of dates when one could be reasonably sure a match would take place -- Saturday and Sundays in October, for example?

You should be pretty safe but games being moved to Monday is always a risk. The entire Swedish Villans trip (about 60 people back then) got turned on its head with such a move a few years back. Be prepared to add hotel-nights and have a flexible airline-ticket.
Also, if you are not already, make sure to be a member of your most local Lions-club as they can get tickets for you. Sold out games are getting more and more prevalent. Or buy yourself a claret membership for earlier access than general sale

Edited by Tegis
hspelliing
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

If one is planning ahead for an autumn trip to Brum for a Villa match, are there certain ranges of dates when one could be reasonably sure a match would take place -- Saturday and Sundays in October, for example?

Check the international break, england play on the 13th and 17th of October so that week will be out 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Well I'd definitely wait until June to see when we'll be home or away on which weekend unless your planning an extended period of time over here?

• Thanks 1

There is an international break in October. Think it's the 9th to 17th of October. Obviously don't go then. The fixtures for 23-24 will come out on the 15th of June. 

However what the fixture list is and what actually pans out as usually fairly different. Esp if we qualify for Europe.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive noticed the prices to brum near new street have got so expensive compared to when i use to come pre covid 

The line's been f***ed for days too.

• Sad 1

Â