Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Also if we do sign him and Jack does end up leaving, I couldn't think of better replacements than ESR and Buendia, so we'd be covering our bases along with signing such a good player.

ESR is younger than Jack right?, but Arsenal fans seems to think he's better that Grealish which I struggle to see or even see happening in four years time. If he were better than Jack then he'd not be out the team one bit is what I think.

Sure it would be bringing in options but sufficient to replace Jack I'm not so sure. ESR would make it work I reckon and I spose it'd be down to what Smith could get out of the lad.

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

If he were better than Jack then he'd not be out the team one bit is what I think.

ESR is definitely not as good as Grealish right now, but has 5 years to develop. Their best young player is Saka and probably the one with the potential to be better than Jack (although they are different types of players). 

• Like 1

I’d love to know what the Villa crew know about the ESR situation, why they believe they can get for reasons more than we know.  We can obviously guess things like owners and such but surely Arsenal would be mad to let him go.

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’d love to know what the Villa crew know about the ESR situation, why they believe they can get for reasons more than we know.  We can obviously guess things like owners and such but surely Arsenal would be mad to let him go.

I guess it must be coming from his agent. Whether it is genuine interest in joining or, or they are just using us for a better contract, I guess we’ll find out in the coming weeks. 

20 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

January Window mate, wheels are in motion to de-talentise the competition. 

Worked for Citeh - how many Arsenal players did they sign - wasn’t it , Toure, Nasri, Adebayor, Clichy - Sagna over 3 seasons. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Worked for Citeh - how many Arsenal players did they sign - wasn’t it , Toure, Nasri, Adebayor, Clichy - Sagna over 3 seasons. 

I have a feeling that's what we are trying to do, Its a lot more difficult for us now then it was for citeh back then. 

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I have a feeling that's what we are trying to do, Its a lot more difficult for us now then it was for citeh back then. 

Back in the day when the top 4 was just the 4 teams that finished top the previous season… not an evergreen cabal of media brands. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

Back in the day when the top 4 was just the 4 teams that finished top the previous season… not an evergreen cabal of media brands. 

I fecking hate the term top 4 to begin with. That CL ruined football so much. Genuinly talking up the fact that you don't finish first, second or third,  but bloody fourth. Like being fourth best at something has ever been impressing. My arse.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s a great phrase. I’ll pinch that if you don’t mind!?

As long as your not secretly Gregg Evans.. bloke can’t write for toffee (and I want his job). 

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Depends. Let's remember this is first year in 25 Arsenal will not have any european income.

Currently out wide their options are:

Saka- Complete riot if they considered selling him from their fanbase.

Pepe-Massively overpaid for him in fee and wages so near impossible to shift him until he's probably got one year left on his deal.

Willian- One of worst signings from any club in last 12 months. Still got two years left on massive wages so again similar to Pepe.

Martinelli- Currently path to CF is blocked while Aubameyang and Lacazette remain so he'll have to get minutes out wide.

They don't all play in Smith Rowe's position of coruse but that's still 4 options for the 2/3 positions behind the striker and given Arteta wanted Buendia he clearly is looking for another one to add to replace the role Odegaard have for them in second half of the season.

Think Smith Rowe could easily be the odd one out. Bit like Martinez. Arsenal probably wanted to make him number one start of last season but Leno on big wages near impossible to sell so Arsenal board saw reserve they could get 20m for and nudged him in our direction.

You know you can't shift Pepe or Willian so potentially 30m for guy who's made about 20 starts will be very tempting for their board I suspect.

We were first linked to ESR even before we signed Buendia so we've clearly been told something by his agent otherwise we'd have withdrawn our interest quickly rather than remain alert on him in last 5 weeks.

I've got a feeling we'll sign him.

Key is to get him in while Jack remains here so him and Buendia don't have the stupid pressure of having to replace him as we've seen many players in last decade fold having that pressure to replace key man we've lost in the team.

Better to intergrate them into the team and get used to everything and so we're well positioned if we have post Grealish future in 1, 2 or 3 years time. It's something Leicester have done very well over last 3-4 years.

And we'll be bloody good to watch with Buendia, ESR and Jack all drifting around Ollie!

Edited by VillaChris
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Awol said:

As long as your not secretly Gregg Evans.. bloke can’t write for toffee (and I want his job). 

Haha I’m definitely not Greg Evans. You should set your sights higher than replacing that semi literate donkey. 

Problem is for us is that they have other youngsters they are looking to shift on who they should be able to relatively easily (unless they are stupid and greedy) Maitland-Niles, Reiss Nelson, Nketiah, Willock, are all good young players who will find clubs willing… if we are really serious then will need fo cough up and pay £££ or move on (which we may have already done) 

Edited by thabucks

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Depends. Let's remember this is first year in 25 Arsenal will not have any european income.

Currently out wide their options are:

Saka- Complete riot if they considered selling him from their fanbase.

Pepe-Massively overpaid for him in fee and wages so near impossible to shift him until he's probably got one year left on his deal.

Willian- One of worst signings from any club in last 12 months. Still got two years left on massive wages so again similar to Pepe.

Martinelli- Currently path to CF is blocked while Aubameyang and Lacazette remain so he'll have to get minutes out wide.

They don't all play in Smith Rowe's position of coruse but that's still 4 options for the 2/3 positions behind the striker and given Arteta wanted Buendia he clearly is looking for another one to add to replace the role Odegaard have for them in second half of the season.

Think Smith Rowe could easily be the odd one out. Bit like Martinez. Arsenal probably wanted to make him number one start of last season but Leno on big wages near impossible to sell so Arsenal board saw reserve they could get 20m for and nudged him in our direction.

You know you can't shift Pepe or Willian so potentially 30m for guy who's made about 20 starts will be very tempting for their board I suspect.

We were first linked to ESR even before we signed Buendia so we've clearly been told something by his agent otherwise we'd have withdrawn our interest quickly rather than remain alert on him in last 5 weeks.

I've got a feeling we'll sign him.

Key is to get him in while Jack remains here so him and Buendia don't have the stupid pressure of having to replace him as we've seen many players in last decade fold having that pressure to replace key man we've lost in the team.

Better to intergrate them into the team and get used to everything and so we're well positioned if we have post Grealish future in 1, 2 or 3 years time. It's something Leicester have done very well over last 3-4 years.

And we'll be bloody good to watch with Buendia, ESR and Jack all drifting around Ollie!

I’d be inclined to agree if ESR didn’t love Arsenal so much. 

He’s an Arsenal fan and I’d be shocked if he wanted to sign for us. 

But you never know, if we’re offering him 75k a week when Arsenal are only offering him 40k, money talks. That and he will be a guaranteed starter at 10 for us. Stranger things have happened. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I fecking hate the term top 4 to begin with. That CL ruined football so much. Genuinly talking up the fact that you don't finish first, second or third,  but bloody fourth. Like being fourth best at something has ever been impressing. My arse.

I’d be pretty happy seeing Villa finish 4th best in the league. Not seen us finish higher than 6th in all my years supporting us 😔