Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

I love Buendia. I love his attitude, his commitment, his flair. Just a likeable guy too. Wears his heart on his sleeve.

But I'm reluctantly starting to fear that he is kind of a fun luxury toy player who nutmegs people in the defensive half, dazzles with little feints and threaded passes. But who gives the ball away way too often, drifts out of the game entirely for stretches, doesn't make the most of opportunities, doesn't score enough and lacks that next gear in speed.

I think his game is better suited to Serie A or La Liga. A fine player who can occasionally look world class. But I can't help sometimes thinking of the similarities to Carles Gil.

Maybe just a bit too lightweight and ineffectual for the Premier league. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I love Buendia. I love his attitude, his commitment, his flair. Just a likeable guy too. Wears his heart on his sleeve.

But I'm reluctantly starting to fear that he is kind of a fun luxury toy player who nutmegs people in the defensive half, dazzles with little feints and threaded passes. But who gives the ball away way too often, drifts out of the game entirely for stretches, doesn't make the most of opportunities, doesn't score enough and lacks that next gear in speed.

I think his game is better suited to Serie A or La Liga. A fine player who can occasionally look world class. But I can't help sometimes thinking of the similarities to Carles Gil.

Maybe just a bit too lightweight and ineffectual for the Premier league. 

Same feeling. Lovely in the build up. Visibly frustrated a few Liverpool players with some bold nutmegs in our own half. But the final third is where you make your money, and the final ball isn’t all there. But I think would do well in a Serie A or La Liga side. 

Especially for someone who’s supposed to be making the final third killer pass. I think like much of the squad, he struggles in the low block and needs to spend more time near the byline when the opponent is sitting back. Too many times, there’s not enough runners when he’s trying to make a killer pass from the middle third. 

I tbink the one thing I’d be interested in is if he played his preferred position closer to right midfield. He still drifts in but all his metrics were at his best attacking from the right side of the field. He’s a bit too predictable coming from the left. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Same feeling. Lovely in the build up. Visibly frustrated a few Liverpool players with some bold nutmegs in our own half. But the final third is where you make your money, and the final ball isn’t all there. But I think would do well in a Serie A or La Liga side. 

Especially for someone who’s supposed to be making the final third killer pass. I think like much of the squad, he struggles in the low block and needs to spend more time near the byline when the opponent is sitting back. Too many times, there’s not enough runners when he’s trying to make a killer pass from the middle third. 

I tbink the one thing I’d be interested in is if he played his preferred position closer to right midfield. He still drifts in but all his metrics were at his best attacking from the right side of the field. He’s a bit too predictable coming from the left. 

That's a great point about him playing closer to the right. I was screaming at the TV for Emery to take McGinn off for Ings, move Buendia right and Watkins out wide left. Bailey needed help out right whenever he got on the ball there but McGinn just wasn't up to it. 

Like @Zhan_ZhuangI'm unsure on him. Which probably means he's a average player. Cant believe we spent 38 million on him tho

Also can't believe we was gonna spunk loads of money on Bisomma, James Ward Prowse, Kelvin Phillips and Emile Smith Rowe. Lange needs to go! 

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

That's a great point about him playing closer to the right. I was screaming at the TV for Emery to take McGinn off for Ings, move Buendia right and Watkins out wide left. Bailey needed help out right whenever he got on the ball there but McGinn just wasn't up to it. 

Yes - KDB makes a lot of his plays with that cutting ball going from right to left in between the keeper and the back line. 

From left to right, I just don’t think Buendia is as effective because he doesn’t really drive down to the byline on his left foot. 

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s slow to the point it’s painful. I’ve said it many times before but he doesn’t have a position. Where do you play him? You can’t play him wide because he’s too slow. We don’t really play with a no.10 and if we did, I think it would be someone else playing there. He’s too weak to play deeper and he isn’t big enough or strong enough to play up front. 

He’s a whole lot of nothing. Works hard, likes a tackle, can play a mean through ball every now and again but that’s it. He can’t cross, his shooting is weak, he’s not quick, he can’t head and he has zero physical strength. I just don’t see what others see. Sorry. 

Completely agree on he doesn’t have a position, been loads of different fans saying his best position is wide and then he should be a number 10 etc. On the rare occasion he’s had a good game it’s been as a 10. He’s now getting the run of games fans asked for and he has so far failed to deliver. Gerrard didn’t get much much right but having him as an impact sub seems to be the best option. He’s looked best when coming on against tiring players. Don’t think he has the stamina or physicality to start games. 

• Like 1

His shot on target percentage is really low now at 16.7 percent.

He hasn’t had even a single shot on target since August. In that time, he’s managed 13 shots, all ended up off target.

Only 3 players in the league have underperformed their xG per 90 worse than him and has had at least as many shots as he had(Welbeck, Jesus and Elyounoussi).

Edited by Laughable Chimp

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He hasn’t had even a single shot on target since August. In that time, he’s managed 13 shots, all ended up off target.

And some say we didn't overpay for him? Id say he is close to bordering flop territory. 

If his numbers dont improve under emery then we should look at upgrading

He was shit yesterday but in fairness, he’s started 3 games under Emery and has been good, good, bad in that order with some tough fixtures. 

The true test for a lot in this squad will be the teams around and below us.

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Be fascinating to see the right sided attacker we made our record signing get some minutes in that position. And yet - I do trust Emery to decide. So that’s a nice change

If playing on the right will make him quicker, stronger, a better decision maker and have more stamina I’m all for it, sadly I don’t think it will.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Only 3 players in the league have underperformed their xG per 90 worse than him and has had at least as many shots as he had(Welbeck, Jesus and Elyounoussi).

Yeesh, that is bad. How can an attacking player not have had a shot on target since August? That can’t be right? 

He was shit yesterday and still provided two good chances that should’ve been assists. 

He’s second on the team on npxg+xa (non penalty expected goals and assists) per 90 despite Gerrard not favoring him. 

Let’s see what he does in the January fixtures that matter. 

https://fbref.com/en/squads/8602292d/Aston-Villa-Stats

• Like 2

I'm still hopefull he will come good but he's under pressure to perform and it just isn't happening for him and how much patience will Emery have. 

He's a likeable player and i want him.to succeed but the team comes first 

Is there a reason he was on the left?

McGinn is left footed, Buendia is right footed - yet they played on the opposite sides. Considering we don't play with out-and-out wingers, that baffled me.

I know cutting inside and unleashing a shot is a thing but so is wrapping around, getting to the byline and crossing/squaring/backpassing with your dominant foot

• Like 1

Â