Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

24 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He's historically been the 2nd best passer of through balls in England behind only De Bruyne. He still doesn't really have chemistry with the front line atm, and none of them have the movement that pukki did to take advantage of his attempts. 

There are certainly sparks of chemistry with Ings.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

Yeah, it is funny how you see it when you have a negative opinion of the player so you are already biased towards the negative from the outset. Every time he lost the ball would have stuck in your mind as justification for your opinion, all the great work would have been glossed over.

I have been saying on this thread for 18 months now that he is going to be Villas best player, and he will be (if he is not already anyway).

So many people who will be eating so much humble pie provided he has a manager who trusts him and builds the lineup around his best attributes.

I find this incredibly obvious as well. Nailed on. The way he played cat and mouse with their defence before slipping Watkins in in the first half was majestic. He drew  three or four defenders towards him like they were hypnotised. He is a completely different player but recall someone else having the same type of gravity

As he gets more starts and more full games, he'll become better adept at picking the times when you flick a backheel towards an on-rushing Watkins or lay off for the give-and-go or hold and draw the foul.

As usual, all the good stuff seems to go through him and there was a marked difference in our play when he left the field for Coutinho.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I actually thought he was brilliant yesterday. So everything didn't come off but rather he keeps trying things than playing safe which was the case under Gerrard

Exactly. He was brilliant because he tried things. With a run of games he will come into his own again. He is a chance creating monster allied to a prodigious workrate. That set up yesterday was perfect for him. Doug n Donk sitting gave him the platform for him to try stuff and get on the ball in the right positions. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DRAGONZ_RULE said:

Yeah, it is funny how you see it when you have a negative opinion of the player so you are already biased towards the negative from the outset. Every time he lost the ball would have stuck in your mind as justification for your opinion, all the great work would have been glossed over.

I have been saying on this thread for 18 months now that he is going to be Villas best player, and he will be (if he is not already anyway).

So many people who will be eating so much humble pie provided he has a manager who trusts him and builds the lineup around his best attributes.

He's nowhere near being our best player. Not yet at least. 
Whether you like him or not, it's hard to argue that he's been anything other than very underwhelming since joining. He's had his opportunities and has been poor a lot of the time.

Just as I've said in the Bailey thread, I hope to god this is his time to shine now with an extended run in the team and a manager that backs him more. We still haven't seen the best from Bailey or Buendia yet and at a combined £68m transfer spend, they need to produce more often. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

Just love this guy. His tenacity, aggression and vision are excellent. In Buendia we have a player who always wants the ball and is happy to take risks and gamble with it. Grealish did the same, always hungry for the ball no matter what situation we're in. Yes Emi loses it at times when trying things, but with all creative players there's much more risk in their craft to be able to execute their skill. He was an absolute handful yesterday, always looking to drive us forward and was very good at shielding the ball from their players, which either brought us free-kicks or enabled us to move the ball forward. 

Give him more game time and we'll see him flourish. I know he was out on the right for Norwich but so much of his great play there came through the middle. He was gifted the luxury of being able to roam free, like Jack was with us. He's a real asset to us and I feel when he's "tries too hard", which is often put against his name, that's largely due to his lack of minutes with ten-minute cameos. Even then he's shown how creative he can be.

We need to see more of little Emi and with a coaching team, system and tactics that allow Buendia some freedom, I'm confident he'll thrive.

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 3

Of note - that because of the spacing - Buendia did not have to retreat to the back line to retrieve the ball. It is important he is instructed and follows instruction to stay between the lines and use his intelligence to drift in and out, but not go all the way back to the ball as that helps no one. Offering that threat in between the opposing midfield and defender lines are key to pulling them out of shape. 

Look at the second goal. Ostensibly, the play is made because of Young's good pass and Bailey attacking the space that he gets from holding the width but look at how many players get pulled to Buendia. 4 Brentford players trying to close him down and finally pulling them out of the low block. This is something that Grealish used to do well.

This is for a different thread, but I feel Buendia stays in between the lines and invites the pressure onto his back better than Coutinho. Coutinho always looks to receive the ball facing forward but that messes with the shape when he retreats all the way to the back line to retrieve the ball.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

Of note - that because of the spacing - Buendia did not have to retreat to the back line to retrieve the ball. It is important he is instructed and follows instruction to stay between the lines and use his intelligence to drift in and out, but not go all the way back to the ball as that helps no one. Offering that threat in between the opposing midfield and defender lines are key to pulling them out of shape. 

Look at the second goal. Ostensibly, the play is made because of Young's good pass and Bailey attacking the space that he gets from holding the width but look at how many players get pulled to Buendia. 4 Brentford players trying to close him down and finally pulling them out of the low block. This is something that Grealish used to do well.

This is for a different thread, but I feel Buendia stays in between the lines and invites the pressure onto his back better than Coutinho. Coutinho always looks to receive the ball facing forward but that messes with the shape when he retreats all the way to the back line to retrieve the ball.

Additionally - I could cry from relief looking at the snapshot of that picture. Look at the width. Look at the spacing. Look how Dendocker-Luiz offer the double pivot to switch play if needed and in combination with Mings and Konsa - outnumber any potential counterattacks through the middle Brentford could have. The simple stuff that, while may need to be tweaked against the big boys, could have gathered so many points against the teams around us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Of note - that because of the spacing - Buendia did not have to retreat to the back line to retrieve the ball.

Agreed, but it's not just the spacing...it's the players around him. We weren't depending on McGinn or JJ to advance the ball, which is part of why Bueni always had to go back to get the ball. Dougie had a license to get further forward. It's silly to speak of an 8 or a 6 in a 4-2-3-1, but Dougie was the "8ish" pivot and Donck was the "6ish" pivot. People have been saying for years that Dougie is better used as an 8 than as a 6, and it showed.

Â